Sunday, May 17, 2020

The DYI Covid Haircut and my Stitch Fix Box Experience

Obligatory Pictures of yard work in process

See Above!

So, dear friends, on Friday I reached the end of my proverbial rope. I decided I wasn’t going to take another morning shower just so my hair would lie flat (I’m an evening shower, clean nightgown type of gal).  I could not stand all the hair on my ears another single minute and was just generally tired of the hair being in my way all the time.  Which is when I reached for the clippers (actually beard trimmers cause we purchased the wrong thing, but they cut my son’s hair so I figured they would cut mine).  




Fifteen or so minutes later, with much hair in the sink and on the floor, I was finished.  Fortunately, while my finished was far from perfection, sister was on hand to help with the evening out/lying flat thing, as well as the ear and back issues (she cuts her admittedly longer hair all the time). While it’s less than perfection, it will keep me going until the first of June-which is the earliest I’ll feel comfortable in a salon-and I know now that if I have to I can do it again, with a little help from my friends. 


My vision doesn't seem different or brighter with my glasses off, but when I look at self phots, it seems like the glasses don't clear up all the way. Next prescription I may move to regular glasses and sunglasses.


In other news, I subscribed to a few of the curated clothing boxes this week, most with free introductory offers  I had planned to do it before and never got there ( and maybe talked about it briefly somewhere). I am not in dire need and traditionally tend to be a buy it used or buy it on sale kind of shopper. But times have changed. I tend to avoid in store shopping even in  non-pandemic times and figured this down time might give me chance think outside my normal "box". I wanted to both see what a stylist could do for me and check out clothing I might not otherwise have an option to see. This may seem out of the norm for the frugal retiree, but frugality is about time as well (at least in this time of life) and I tend to be an "own one really good quality item instead of ten" kind of spender. When it's affordable and a quality I care about,

So  I did a brief questionnaire on a few different sites about my measurements, and the kind of clothing I wear and so on and so forth. I shared with them my personal style (very bright retirement life casual), style preferences and color preferences and small things like the fact that I can’t wear Ponte pants and need knit and soft jeans and such. I did thumbs up and thumbs down on a variety of outfits shown to me, and I  also mentioned a specific favorite outfit from head to toe. I'm pretty sure I gave each company a short blurb about what i was looking for. I did choose a fifty dollar general range for most items. Which is more than I would usually spend. But I wanted to start mid range and see what my options were. I may adjust that down for the next time.

I did make it clear that I did want fashionably casual but did not want so called business casual as the first few things they showed me were just that, and I also (for companies that offered any such items), let them know that I would be happy to get lounge wear, active wear, and/or accessories.

Stitch Fix was the first box I received.  Stitch fix charged me a tweny dollar styling fee which could be used towards a purchased item, and allowed me to choose how often I wanted to receive a box.  My first box arrived with five clothing items tissue wrapped. Along with the five items, they sent me a price sheet, a style “cheat” sheet showing what other items (I assume of theirs) that I could wear the items enclosed with, and a large addressed bag for returning items.

Note: I do leave all boxes, including this one sitting in a special bin in my home for 24 (minimum boxes) to 48 (minimum plastic) hours before opening, and once I opened this box I let it sit open for  day. I'm aware that some people are more stringent and some more lax. I'm not in a position to let nothing come in my house, or to not shop for multiple months so this is my solution.

Since I was alone at the time, I took quick down and dirty pictures with my hall mirror (I need to improve my selfie skills, folks), of the clothing I liked and used hangar photos for the other two items. While none of these where in my specifically desired colors, and there were no pants, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I loved two items, and liked one. Not a bad first shipment for a quick questionnaire.  I did love the white top, as soon as I tried it on. I usually opt for more of a cream color but it fit well and would go with anything.  At thirty dollars after said styling fee,  I will keep this. I also loved the maxi skirt, which is black, not navy. I waver as to how much I will wear it right now, with social life at a standstill. I also remind myself that half of my tops at least are florals or prints. Then I remind my self that Texas is maxi skirt and dress weather for almost any occasion and tell myself that it fit well and will last. 

The  on me fit of the new Tshirt I recently ordered which tends to be more my style than the lthree quarter sleeve with ruffled look.


The green top is pretty. And cute when I wear it. But I am not a fan of the smock-ish look, I prefer things that fit like the floral T (which is in my closet already) does. And I’m definitely not a fan of the ruffle at the end of the sleeve look. I’m not a ruffle woman and will make that one clear. Then there were two absolutely not items. A blue and purple shirt (again with the ruffle sleeve) and a lavender-ish cardigan. Obviously meant to go together and beautiful, but not the right color or style for me.  

All of the items were in the forty five dollar to sixty dollar range.  The white top will be thirty dollars after my twenty dollar styling fee, which is acceptable.  But I’m going to adjust the per item cost downward most likely, moving forward. I am happy that the clothes they sent me were relaxed, and comfortable yet well made. I plan to give this plan at least one more month, updating my stylist on what worked and did not work for me, and adjusting the price.  I’ll let you know how that works.

It's supposed to be ninety degrees on Monday. I may have to uncover the air conditioner, as I work on my cards for the Meals on Wheels peeps.

27 comments:

  1. The white top with maxi skirt looks great on you!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it. And in Texas I can wear maxis three quarters of the year even just at home.

      Delete
  2. I like the pink cardigan with scallop front and the matching shirt with pink flowers. Is that the lavender one of which you speak? Does it have ruffles on the sleeves? I ask because it does not look lavender to me on my computer. Ruffles can be taken off. But, like you, I am not crazy about ruffles on a blouse. On a skirt, I like ruffles. I like the white blouse and polka dot skirt on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And those are absolutely not my colors. Yes the ruffle could be taken off but if I am purchasing new I don't expect to have to alter.

      Delete
  3. New clothes, new haircut -- you're ready to rock summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick the summer at home, at least for now, lol.

      Delete
  4. After seeing a full photo of the maxi skirt, I love the look on you! Very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. I know maxis are not for some people but I wear them instead of shorts in hot weather cause I think dresses are always cooler.

      Delete
  5. Your results are encouraging! I keep thinking about trying them but put it off. Love the white top and maxi skirt on you. I see what you mean about the ruffles but the drape of the flowered top is flattering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is and I hung it in my closet and it kind of hoes eith the rest. But at sixty bucks...

      Delete
  6. I really like the white top and the tee. I'd never ordered clothing on line, but did so recently buying a few reduced priced t-shirts. I was happy with all of them, which actually surprised me.

    Enjoy your new pieces and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purchase almost all of my clothing online but its mainly from two companies where I know my size and normally could return in store if needed.

      Delete
  7. I think you and your sister did a really good job with your haircut and I agree with you on selecting the white top and black maxi skirt. They look very very nice on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm more of a thrift shop clothes shopper, and fifty dollars an item sounds VERY expensive to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purchase some items in thrift shops but honestly these days I have little patience and absolutely won't be doing that anytime soon. I prefer to have a smaller curated wardrobe that lasts a really long time. I usually buy things at half price when I can. Some items like these and my 150 SAS shoes will never be on sale...

      Delete
  9. We do haircuts at home, we have the Wahl designer clippers and the peanut clippers. The designer clippers will take attachments up to a #12 (1 1/2”), although it comes with a #8 (1”) attachment with the kit and the smaller peanut clippers (beard/finishing) come with four attachments, the largest being a #4 (1/2”). My boys both like their hair kept short, but my older teen likes his about 2” on top, shorter on the sides, my younger son likes his 3/4” on top and shorter on the sides. Both get their haircuts every three weeks and they have continued to get them and I have gotten my hair trimmed a couple weeks ago. A couple friends of mine had messaged me about haircuts and Saturday they stopped by to visit hanging out on the deck, and hubby gave a couple haircuts. Looking at your DIY haircut, I imagine there is not much a stylist can do with your hair as there is not much left, so I don’t believe that you will need to be in any rush to get to the salon June 1st.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keri. I think yoou've mentioned before that you do home haircuts. My hair is kept at less than a half inch and in a quarter inches and I get it cut every three weeks at a minimum (I have the exact three weeks on my calendar with a razor. I also keep it not touching ears as you can see at the photo on the side. so I do expect to need to be seen sometime aft the first week in june so that she can razor cut at least the top.and make sure my white walls are still htere lol

      Delete
    2. My younger son is the same way about having hair touching his ears. About two years ago, he took the kitchen shears and cut the hair on the left side of his head, pretty short. I noticed it at dinner and he said that he did it as it was bothering him. Hubby had to give him a haircut after dinner as I was not going to let him go to school the next day looking like that. He warned me that he would have to cut his hair shorter than usual to fix what he did to his hair. I don’t like them shaved bald, but my son’s hair was white walls on the sides afterwards. told him if you want a haircut ask, don’t do it again, and he has not. My friends that stopped by both wear their hair long, there was no clipper cutting involved, just shears only to take less than a couple inches off to remove split/damaged ends to keep their mid back length hair neat. Neither would trust their husbands near their hair with shears. Both like his work and the fact that they were getting a free trim.

      Delete
  10. I do love ALL the new outfits! I did Stitch Fix once and almost didn't try them on ... but when I did, It was a whole new me that I loved. A white sleeveless top similar to yours. Capris pants to wear with. And now you've got me back in the mood.

    I found two modern mumu style dresses (Amazon) and get compliments every time I wear them. I've got to get rid of my 30-year-old summer look of 100% cotton matching v-neck T and loose capris.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always tell people that those of us who have lived in tropical weather know that dresses are soon much cooler.

      Delete
  11. That white top and black skirt looks really good on you and would be my style as well. Thanks for writing about this way of acquiring new clothing. I hate shopping and I really need to update my closet so I may give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an experiment (plus it will give me things to write about and photograph and lift my spirits when I try them all on so it;s all good.

      Delete
  12. Barb, I think you look very nice in the white top and maxi skirt. I also like the first picture of you in the green floral top. Isn't it great to find things that fit your criteria!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! If course keeping them all would ruin my texas savings but a couple here and there.......

      Delete
  13. Neutrals certainly go with more things, clothes-wise. I may buy stripes now and then, but usually stick to solids.

    We just got our first haircuts Saturday -- since NOVEMBER. We didn't have time before going on a cruise (I should say we didn't make time), and they were asking about $65 for haircuts that were definitely subpar. (We saw them on friends.) We planned to get one in Indonesia -- but then the cruise was cancelled, and we weren't allowed off the ship. After finally getting home, then we were quarantined for two weeks...with the salons not opening until last week, anyways, in Colorado. Ergh. Aargh.

    But we're both clipped, and feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy. they definitely do but I am definitely bright gal. I do stick to navy or black on the bottom but own nary a neutral top except this one, that I have kept. I actually mix brights togethers as neutrals so wear bright green cardigan witha yellow top, for exampe. since I stick ot all spring colors and mixed accessories, it works lol. I know they are mostly open here in Littleton but I am not vernutring to such a place before the first. I want them to have all the kinks out and see what the"after two week" statistics are. And get a place that requires masks...

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!