Monday, January 6, 2020

Making it Monday-Starting Something New and Picking Up A "UFO"

I'm working on a problem around here. I am VERY hungry as soon as I wake up-but I am still a slow mover and not ready to cook anything. 

Thank you everyone, for all the suggestions so far. I am taking them all into account. along with some my daughter suggested such as making my own healthy quiche and grabbing a piece each day for a week. I love my readers!!

Just to be clear for the happy morning people..I'm talking about waking up at eight and being starving but lucky to walk upright from the bed to the chair by the window. So I need something I can literally grab and take with me as I blindly walk to the chair until I fully wake an hour later.

Yogurt as such is not my thing (although I am trying to will myself in that direction, so today I picked up chocolate hazelnut yogurt), and cooking eggs or oatmeal requires more time and effort than I have that first hour and a half of the day. So I've decided to accept the fact that much of my carb allowance is going to be in the morning: coffee cake, breakfast cookies, and muffins with juice and the occasional hard boiled egg thrown in. It is what it is.

Update: my brilliant daughter who wants me to have no sugar in the am but my daily coke gave me a recipe for mini omelets made ahead in muffin tinsel that I could even eat cold. Adding these to my idea list.

In my effort to use up some of my small batches of yarn I pulled the yarn below out from a bin this weekend.  Since I have absolutely no idea what it will end up as, I just cast on some stitches and started a basic knit stitch. Much of what I wear is pink, lavender or purple, and blue so this will match perfectly if I decide to keep it for myself. If it's a scarf, I'll add fringe or a large pompom, but since I've been wanted to make various neck warmers for others, this may be my trial version with decorator buttons and sew on snaps. I'm actually wondering if I made some for charity and sewed up the two sides if the people who got them could then pull it over their heads or not.  Experimentation is the key, I suppose!  





One of the new skills I want to learn this year is how to make advanced landscape quilts. You may remember I started a very beginner, never did one before, project  earlier in the year that was a beach scene. That poor mini quilt got set aside with fall and Christmas crafting. Today I pulled it out again, and started cutting and tearing fabric to build on top of it. Aside for all the quilting and thread painting I want to do, I want to layer sand dunes and a sunset and embroider or sew on star fish. This and sorting my daughter's T-shirt quilt squares should be my primary sewing projects for the next couple of weeks. Or more, since it may take me many tries and fails at arranging the fabrics they way I want them.
I want to add dunes, strips of sunset on the top, a fence, starfish, maybe shells, maybe a bird. It could take me awhile! It definitely needs my iron before I go any further though.

I did do a search of my fabric stash and I have nothing (seriously, not a one) when it comes to Easter/Spring/Valentines fabrics so I'll be allotting a little bit of money to get those. I'd like make three or four table runner and napkin sets as samples for people to see on my Facebook page.

I'd planned a new to me slow cooker pork chop recipe this evening, but then I looked in the fridge. There's leftover meatloaf, leftover meatballs and sauce and pasta and leftover Chinese food from our order in last night while we watched part of the Emmys. So no cooking for me tonight.......

I did get four, count em four bags of stuff off to goodwill (where there was a VERY large post Christmas/New Year Resolution drop off line) this morning, so at least one thing was accomplished. 

This afternoon and evening I have nothing planned of any consequence other than doing some exercise and working on the annual calendar planning wise so I can carve out travel dates, move dates and the like........

And maybe some knitting. I started The Irishman and watched an hour. I suppose I should finish it.....................

24 comments:

  1. I am getting unfinished projects completed around here as well. I always find it amazing how they add up.

    Your quilt is going to be wonderful once it is completed.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When is the last time you've been in the cereal aisle at the grocery store? They make a lot of healthy ones that taste good and stick with you.

    I love neck warmers. I make them without buttons. You make a slot in one end and just pull the other end through. https://www.etsy.com/listing/529341265/pull-through-scarf-knitting-pattern-easy?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_d-craft_supplies_and_tools-patterns_and_how_to-patterns_and_blueprints&utm_custom1=ef708d91-7333-4f93-a704-c821802914a9&utm_content=go_2063558056_76452866095_367965825024_pla-322726483858_c__529341265&gclid=CjwKCAiA0svwBRBhEiwAHqKjFrgZixqu7ObWSiYUhY9Evjg7Ahwd6a4mvxnFyIh9tiX067bYxpZxgBoCzfQQAvD_BwE

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont like cereal. filling is not the issue. Never have. I DO like oatmeal. Just to be clear though, were talking about an " I'm starving but I'm lucky not to kill myself in the way to the easy chair" situation. Sitting in a dining room chair and eating from a bowl is pushing it.so I grab a drink and a hand held edible and sit down until I am fully awake. I do live eggs and depending on how filling the first breakfast is I may have eggs and fruit later and no lunch to speak of. I do know about the ones with slots but these I plan to make with decorative buttons and snaps. I also plan th o make seed one with felted wool. I wont be selling mine on etsy just in my own page. Not a fan as a seller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked at the scarf link. Love the shell designs and I may do ed one of those as well!! But I have requests for the other "dress for success type ones". And I'm sure many people live Wtsy6. I love it as a buyer but as a seller I was giving up too much. Especially as at the ti.e I did custom quilts and getting deposits and such was crazy.

      Delete
  5. I'm with you in that I like an easy to fix breakfast. Yes, usually a muffin, a bagel, an English muffin or some other delicious carb along with a cold glass of milk. I'm not hungry when I wake up at 6:00 a.m. and have my coffee though. I usually eat breakfast around 9:00 a.m. Can't wait to see your completed project of either a scarf or neck warmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to have it done in a week but we will see.

      Delete
  6. Other suggestions for quick 'n easy protein in the morning include: nuts, cheese, eggs (as you already noted), cottage cheese, yogurt but GREEK yogurt because it has a high protein count. Regular yogurt is just all sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I keep trying the yogurt and I cant get into it. At least I keep trying. In thinking toasting an english muffun and slathering peanut butter on it also might be pretty mindless. I wish that if I were such a slow morning person my stomach would agree but so far, nope. I've also thought about just taking a premade shake in a cooler to my room at night and staying in bed longer. But that's still processed food in the end. Guess one of my January goals is to work on my morning routine.

      Delete
  7. I encourage you to really stick with protein not carbs as you start your day sitting. 2 hard boiled eggs-peel them, cut them in half and put in a container before you go to bed. 2T Peanut Butter on celery sticks. Do you like cottage cheese? Put some chopped pineapple on top-again, easy to prep the night before.

    Some of these can be made the night before:
    https://blog.fitbit.com/high-protein-breakfasts/

    Why protein? It doesn't demand insulin. When you consume all carbs, you shoot right off the day with insulin and honestly, it makes us hungrier in the short term.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I am trying not to consume all carbs but I do include some carbs and my nutritionist approves. She would like something like scrambled eggs and whole wheat English muffins if I were awake enough. Where she does not approve is my orange juice which I love so I try and save that small glass fir later in the day as part of a healthy snack if I have it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about overnight oats with some blueberries? No cooking in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And since you love oranges how about eating a whole one to get the fiber and no added sugar?

      Delete
    2. Are those cold or can you heat them up. I may try this. This morning I had half a bagel with cream cheese and juice and eggs cause son was willing to cook. I'm working on clementines instead of juice slowly but surely.

      Delete
    3. My daughter also suggested making it buying a quiche and zapping it ...

      Delete
    4. The overnight oats would be cold. I would imagine you could microwave them. Lots of recipes online.

      Delete
  10. I know nothing about knitting or quilting, but I sure do admire your work. As far as breakfast goes, for me it's instant coffee, fruit, yogurt and a bit of cereal. No cooking required.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilt looks very interesting and a lot of fun. I've never quilted and certainly don't need another project but... Your mention of the t-shirt quilt blocks reminded me that I wanted to use t-shirts my grandson has outgrown to create a quilt for him.

    Well done with the drop off at Goodwill. I'm still working on the gathering up of items.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make a weeks worth of egg cups so I just have to microwave for a minute. I use 5 eggs, Jimmy Dean sausage crumbles, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. Put them in greased muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes. I kind of adapted a Pioneer Woman recipe. I didn’t want any potatoes or bread product in them. Simple, but I think they are good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, this sounds good. Better than just cooking up a week of scrambled eggs which was another thought.I would not want to hav epoatoes or bread in them either..althoughI may have whole wheat on the side occasionally.

      Delete
  13. Ah ha! You get your caffeine from a Coke in the morning? 39 grams of carbs (all sugar). That's a whole meal's worth. Yet we can't give up everything. Maybe you can wean yourself down to the tiny 8 oz size? I have a mug of cold brew coffee then about an hour later, feed myself. My favorite is an egg and toast. (Dave's Killer Bread thin slice, 13 g carbs. Or sliced hard boiled egg on toast

    My class of managing diabetes said 25-35 g carbs at meals, 15 g carbs for 2 snacks. I keep the Sargento "Balanced Break" packets on hand for quick snack (13 g carbs) Otherwise I cut up veggies to dip in my whir-it-in-the-blender cottage cheese dip.

    I always eat my juice! My weakness? Red wine and potato chips! EVERY nights!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No intention of ever giving up my coke or going down. I'm managed at less than six point o right now so I feel fine about it. I aim for under 200 carbs a day. 150 or sixty is perfect but I don't always make it, Unfortunately I cannot wait up that hour to eat. I am literally starving when I get up and hate to eat any closer to bed for not sleeping well. Love the veggie idea, I do dip and veggies I also do fruit and cottage cheese or v and cheese and whole what crackers......My fail is the occasiona pb and j for lunch when im tired of lean cuisnes, lol. Oh, I may try peanut butter on whole wheat toast as one of my options...

      Delete
  14. Your quilt is amazing! Wow!

    The scarf is gorgeous too!

    My go to breakfast is veggies and hummus. Second is a piece of cheese and veggies or a piece of fruit. I find if I have veggies cut up already, it is easy to zombie walk into the kitchen, pour coffee (made the night before...I like it room temp or cold) and grab the veggies/hummus or cheese.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!