Friday, January 24, 2020

It's Friday, Not Sure It's Frugal

The past couple of days  I've really needed those "separate spaces" in my craft room. I mean, I can't work on everything at once, or have every project out. but my cutting table also serves as my desk and a painting/crafting/jewelry surface when I put another mat on, and I have  two or three other surfaces where I can put things aside and turn from a project to a different project.



Which has been a good thing. Because while I was waiting to choose fabrics for  a sun and a starfish and shells and a fish tail coming out of the water and who knows what, I also did some work on my daughter's Tshirt quilt, chose my next big and small quilt, and got my mini loom (hey, it's small steps for me) out and ready so that I can make the learning sampler shown below. Ha!  I hope to post some pictures of Saturday or Sunday of my cutouts placed on my art quilt.





Meanwhile, bad news on the frugal front.  I will NOT make that goal of seventy dollars per week for the month of January. Too much eating out of our freezer and clearing out in the late fall months so I had to buy every little thing. The good news though is that I believe that will change drastically in February (half because I have been shopping loss leaders and sales and half because I'll be gone for ten days.), and then even out (I hope) to my goal in March.

I also ate well at both happy hour and I had a lunch out this week, making my entertainment budget much larger than normal. I pray that will go down to it's more normal number next week-last week I spent a whole four dollars plus tip at happy hour.

Other unplanned spending for the week? The yarn for my new sweater, and the small pieces of fabric to go on the landscape quilt. Which I'm calling frugal because I could have bought yards and yards. The only reason I didn't is because I'll be going to the best quilt shop in the world when I go to Texas.

I have however mainly stayed at home other than those two gal group things, amused myself by watching TV and online courses and crafting and doing less than fun things like organizing my bedroom and cleaning out my car while the weather is close to sixty.  I also have exercied all week to things on the tube in my house, in preparation for losing Silver Sneakers at the end of next month. I've found lots of "it doesnt kill my ankle" options, so I'll pobably visit the rec center twice a week for water walking and/or recumbent exercise and be happy doing the rest at home.

Oh, and I've begun my list of estimations for moving (when that will happen I have not decided definitively) including things I will need to buy when I am there, the cost of renting a storage unit if I start taking things down as I drive and visit, and other such things.  Not frugal as such I suppose, but practical planning if you will. My date is late fall of this year, but I may move it to post summer, so I need to be prepared.

This weekend I'm staying close and maybe even enjoying some sixty degrees outside. Next week, back to the retirement routine, with an added trip to the Monet exhibit at the Denver Museum of Art and dinner on Wednesday.

And now to make every effot to handle the clogged drain from hell on my own, before calling in the reserves........

9 comments:

  1. I don't know what size or type of vehicle you have, but a 5'x5' unit was $45. As I needed more room, I went up a size and price. Then, as I cleared the unit, I went back down in size. It worked out moneywise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm only moving to another side of town and can't decide what is practical to move/store/buy new afterward. I can't imagine doing it for a long distance move.

    Can't wait for you to start your landscape quilt. I want to try one, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, as a semi minimalist, I expect I have much less to sort than you do!

      Delete
  3. I have just finished doing a bit of a switch a roo on my sewing/craft room. I am hoping this time things will stick and I will not buy anything new that needs setting up.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie I think you have more actual machines and such as I do as I dont have a circuit or such which makes it easier for me.

      Delete
  4. I feel like at least, we have eight more years in this house, and I am already overwhelmed at how much stuff we have that needs to be gone. I'll start with my office, then other rooms. The garage is the black hole and mostly hubs needs to tackle. If it is carp others want, we most likely could earn a small fortune in a yard sale, but then. we'd be holding onto it longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I thought about the yard sale and rejected it. There may be a few things I sell on TH marketplace or something similar.

      Delete
  5. You are incredibly talented! And ambitious too.

    Moving is never easy, you have lots to decide and think about. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll very likely stay with D and SIL.for a month or so both to help them and have no expenditure so I'm taking as little furniture as I can so I can have a small storage unit. The planning is the hardest. Savings next.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!