Monday, November 18, 2019

Monday Musings-The Volunteer Week is Over

For the questions about my colorful socks, here is the link!

Our week of hosting families in the church is over. We'll do it in January again, but for now, it's back to normal on this wend,. We had our full complement this week pretty much (the max number of beds is 16). Our families including a mom and dad and four teenagers (bless their hearts), a couple with three kids from one to four, and two single moms each with one boy.  For almost all our families this was their first week (second at most) in the program, so they were still getting used to the spend a week, move, spend a week and move schedule that they are in now. I do feel for the youngest ones, who just get attached to and comfortable with us and then need to move on to another church!

Because I was busy in the church (injured leg and all) most of Saturday I didn't make it to a church service on Sunday-I'll make that up midweek. I did hit a couple stores (which I NEVER do on the weekend). Mainly because with first one and then the other injured ankle I feel like I need at at least one pair of larger shoes right now -other than my supportive sandals. So I broke down and got a pair of Sketcher's mules in a large size, since it looked like the ankle will be swollen for awhile. Especially that protruding bone on the outside

I also got a couple Christmas decorations which I don't need and probabl will not keep. Buyer's remorse and all that, although they were sixty percent off....
. I also grabbed some Christmas fabric at sixty percent off. With a yard and a half of each fabric I should be able to make sets of four large napkins and have leftovers for patchwork coaster sets. And I got a red Christmas tablecloth. All unplanned spending but all needs that will be put to use. The stuff I make from the fabric will be donated to the bazaar, kept (we need napkins around here, they tend to disappear like socks) and given as gifts for people in my groups and family members. 


Do note that along with the trucks and Thomas Kinkaid fabric there is, of course flamingo Christmas fabric........just because
 To top it all off, I stopped at the butcher and got a ready made throw in the oven meatloaf (a pound and a half or so was fifteen dollars). I'm slowly trying things they make before trying out the special bundles. This was obviously a pricey meat loaf (and not in the need category) but was still a fairly cheap two meal dinner with sides around the house. Their sale items this week include these farmhouse chicken breasts. I figure if I use them for a meal or two (with leftovers) a week I'm not breaking the budget and giving my non cooking self a break.


Adding moderate insult to injury budget wise, today my gals group had lunch at the Melting Pot fondue restaurant. Where the  minimum entree (cheese fondue and chocolate fondue) is twenty three dollars, without a salad or drink added. Far above our normal nine and ten dollar choices for sure.  While it was an experience and fun for a one time thing, we won't be hitting this one again, I expect. The service and the food for thirty bucks was just not that great. But for a one time adventure it was okay. Next week we'll be back to the Olive Garden's nine dollar unlimited soup, salad and bread sticks! I also managed to somehow spill more than my share of chocolate fondue on the shirt in the picture, darn it. If there is a way to spill food...........
When you take a mirror selfie to show your outfit for the day, miss part of your body and then realize that yes, cleaning the mirror needs to move to the top of your list....
This afternoon I am going to chill in my chair and perhaps see if I can get my sewing or knitting mood on. Dinner is self serve leftovers. Today and tomorrow I am scheduling the over due birthday appointments as well as an ortho thing, and tomorrow I'm going to go sit on the recumbent cross trainer for the first time post swollen ankle. I'll let you know if I survive........

8 comments:

  1. Cloth napkins, coasters and tablecloths are always practical and welcome gifts! Mmmm, that fondue looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was but expensive for the amount. I do prefer useful gifts.

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to try the Melting Pot. I remember my mom having fondue parties back in the '70s.

    I sold my old, heavy sewing machine and am going to buy a new one with they have the Christmas sells. I'm hoping that will get me back into sewing. Your fabrics are great! I've been seeing that truck and tree graphic everywhere this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's definitely machine. Machines have changed so much!

      Delete
  3. I always made my napkins, but I never made Christmas one. I should

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We make everything cloth here. We dont use paper except in the bathroom.. So I like them for every theme.

      Delete
  4. I like the volunteer work you do, I am sure the families are blessed by it. Now keep that foot elevated! I know you do.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!