Thursday, November 21, 2019

Less is More, and More is Less........Sort Of!

My son, who sleeps directly across from me, set his alarm for five am this morning and promptly made noise making coffee and jumping into the shower. Holey Moley!! I may have changed from being a night owl, but there's a difference between five and eight, let me tell you! This will probably continue once a week at least since the restaurant where he is the kitchen manager has just started catering-and they are getting many, many lunch orders. I did manage to go back to sleep for a little while, thank heavens. I am learning that the first few hours and the last hour or so seem to be when I sleep the best.

The upside I suppose is that I got the dishwasher loaded and even managed to go on line and make all of my annual appointments (some with new doctors since my old doctor was also my Gyn and endocrine doc). It's noon and my main goal is to see how many of these napkins and so on I can get done before I feed my favorite canines at four (as well as doing a seating exercise routine somewhere, sometime, since there is ice on the steps).

I'm looking forward to the new year and have been making some priority decisions on money and energy (more on vacations/family/home comforts, moderate amounts on some hobbies, and less on almost everything else). While there's more to write about and to think about I suppose my other big decisions directions are decluttering and downsizing (mind, space and schedule), as well as diving deeper (spending more time and learning more about a few hobbies for example, than trying to do ten)

I am very much not a minimalist and enjoy my stuff. When it's usable. And in fact, I prefer the stuff that I use in general to be pretty and good looking. Give me the bright blue lined cast iron dutch oven, if you know what I mean. Especially if I'm going to see it or use it at least once a week. On the other hand, I don't need ten duplicates of every thing I use (other than scissors, pens and chapsticks. There should be one in every room and in the car as well of each).

As we approach the holidays I'm really trying to find ways to put this into effect. The sewing thing for example. I love making quilts. But family (hell, even I) can only use so many quilts-at least full sized ones. On the other hand, place mats, table runners, candle mats, cloth napkins, coasters, doll quilts for the nieces, barbecue aprons, and even paper towel replacements are things that people I know can actually USE. And depending on the fabrics I choose, use the year around, not justt at Christmas. And as well as being useful, all of the above are sustainable as well. Maybe I should add a couple shopping bags?

For the most part, I'm going with useful and or fun for Christmas this year, with the exception of some true needs for the adult offspring. This may not be the most frugal choice as such. One brother and sister in law (for example) need literally nothing. The other brother and sister in law live far away in a new home and I have no idea what they might want and need. So they are either getting a couples pedicure, a couples massage or a cooking class depending (yes, do absolutely know that they would love any of the three). This may be a slightly more expensive choice, but one that I know is useful-and I'll add cloth napkins and coasters and homemade goodies so they have something to "open" on the big day. Yes, on this side of the family, adults do give gifts to adults. We love it.

The other way I'm going to be downsizing and purging this month is that for the first time in about three years (due to Christmas travel), I am pulling up EVERY Christmas thing I own the day after Thanksgiving. Once I've put out everything that is meaningful, that I'm emotionally attached to and that I feel I'll want to display in the future, IMO going to photograph it-and then box up two separate bins for each kid (and sell and donate anything else).

My final goal for the end of November and December (and one that will take a year) is to go through all the family recipes and pictures and start, start mind you, on a cookbook for each child. done in photo album style with comments and memories added. This is a do it on the days I feel like it for the next year thing,  and then add on each year after that. The only thing is I cannot figure out how to store this stuff as I work on it here and there as the mood hits, so that it's easily accessible, but out of my way. and until I figure out that basic logistical issue, everything will set there, untouched.

Which is fine, because January is supposedly for photographs. Including the five hundred photos my parents took of all the flora and fauna in South Carolina near their home and all the national parks and roadtrips of their retirement.  Then again, maybe I'll wait on that one.

20 comments:

  1. How about using a tote bag to keep things separate? You could even make the tote bags. Or, get plastic boxes that are wide enough for everything to lie flat. Maybe you could clean out a couple of drawers somewhere and just use cardboard boxes to stack in the drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh at your having 10 duplicates of scissors, pens and Chap Stick. I have one of each in every room of the house. When I was at my niece's last summer I was looking for a pen and couldn't find a single one! It's the generation of taking notes on devices, I guess.

    I'm in the process of doing a personalized cookbook and I use an 8 x 10 notebook with plastic, insert pages and pocket pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the style my son wants so he can add more recipes later. My daughter would appreciate a more "memorabilia" or scrapbook type. I have a journal and it goes everywhere with me although I do use the calendars and contacts on my phone.

      Delete
  3. Christmas stuff just accumulates to monumental proportions over the years, doesn't it? Yet it's so hard to get rid because of the emotional memories attached to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I purged my Christmas items last February and gave a bunch to my daughter. Now that I'm about to start decorating for this year, I'm finding I still have far too much stuff. I like the idea of pulling out only that I'm emotionally attached to. The rest can go.

    I also love the idea of a photo cookbook. I have my mom's recipes and it would be fun to do up a Grandma/Mom cookbook. Though who know if I'll ever get to it. There are so many other UFO's around here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am taking every single Christmas item out of my holiday closet this year and giving anything I no longer use or want to one of my Mom's caregivers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have lots of scissors as well. Mainly because I have to hide them on Harvey and forget where I have hidden them. Perhaps locks on the handles would be a better process, but knowing me I would forget where the key to the lock is.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I use the pink ones (singer) instead of the yellow ones and have mainly trained my family but not always.

      Delete
  7. For the last several years we have celebrated Christmas at our daughter's home. With three kids it makes more sense to gather there. All that means is our Christmas stuff continues to languish in a storage shed. We may put up a tree and decorate it because the lights are pretty. But, almost all of the ornaments and hanging decorations stay boxed up. I think the comments are right: box up what isn't memorable and move it out.

    The idea of favorite recipes saved in a photo album-like style is inventive. When many folks don't cook much anymore or just pull a recipes off the Internet, having special ones saved in such an interesting way shows love and thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. And I would also write memories of said recipes or get family comments when I had them.

      Delete
  8. A couple of years ago, I did the family recipe thing. My sister had commandeered both my Mom's and Grandmother's recipe boxes. I asked to borrow them for a while. I color-copied every recipe from both that I wanted. Some in their boxes were from aunts and sisters as well. I got a recipe "notebook" on line and those pages that the film lifts up. I separated the recipes by genre: interesting that "casseroles" did not show up in my grandmother's or great-grandmother's recipes...and very few vegetable recipes. Lots of cookies, cakes, jams, pickles, and so on. Casseroles showed up in my Mom's generation . She was a bride in 1946. The best part of the book? All the 4x6 cards were in their handwriting!! My DIL's all want it the book. haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont have slot of handwritten stuff so much of this will be from memory and from other family members and I hope to incorporate all sides of the family in this. I like the idea of a notebook with plastic pages more and more.

      Delete
  9. I really like the idea of passing on recipes (with special comments)on to the kids. A big YES to sharing Christmas ornaments/decor with the kids, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. And if course they have the ornaments I got them each year as kids.

      Delete
  10. My sister is a quilter. She makes quilted wall hangings with 3-D embellishments. They're pretty cool. My favorite quilted gifts from her are quilted microwave bowl holders. You put them under your bowl when you put it in the microwave, and it's like a pot holder. Keeps your hands from burning on the hot dish. You can Google them. She also makes doggie diaper pads and donates them to a local shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, I know about microwave bowls.l have an art quilt going as we speak. Too many sewing and knitting projects and too little time. Love the doggie diaper pad ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice information on here, I would like to share with you all my experience trying to get a loan to expand my Clothing Business here in Malaysia. It was really hard on my business going down due to my little short time illness then when I got heal I needed a fund to set it up again for me to begin so I came across Mr Benjamin a loan consultant officer at Le_Meridian Funding Service He asked me of my business project and I told him i already owned One and i just needed loan of 200,000.00 USD he gave me form to fill and I did also he asked me of my Valid ID in few days They did the transfer and my loan was granted. I really want to appreciate there effort also try to get this to anyone looking for business loan or other financial issues to Contact Le_Meridian Funding Service On Email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com He also available on WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!