Wednesday, November 13, 2019

I Tell Ya..............

This morning I got out of bed and took a shower-and then put on a clean nightgown. The ankle is better but still not where it should be and wanted to shower while other people were still at home on the off chance the darned thing decided to give out as I was stepping in or out of the shower. Fortunately I had no issues-but it still hurt like hell.

I had intended to try Silver Sneakers completely sitting or else do half an hour on recumbent machine-but with my foot pain, I decided to put that off at least one more day-since even seated, Silver Sneakers requires kicking and bouncing the legs and so on. Which still sounded like more than my leg can handle. So I spend the morning slowly and leisurely doing some household tasks that needed to be handled.

After lunch I went to meet some friends at the Tuesday five dollar movies (there I go again), where we watched Motherless Brooklyn. Wonderful if I do say so and I would go with the public rating on this and not the reviewers. Lots of interesting previews as well. 

After said movies I drove over the the church to check on the homeless food service and then left everyone to continue on their own (if there is a silver lining in this ankle pain is that I am finally getting people to realize that they are fine, we are a well functioning machine, and they don't really need me there from five to eight the entire week!) and went home.  Somewhere about halfway through heating up the quiche I purchased, I broke.

The pain was throbbing, I didn't remember hurting myself, my ankle was swollen to twice it's size and I was hurting like hell..........So I grabbed my keys, turned off my oven and headed out to the local urgent care. Somehow thinking that I would get checked out, maybe possibly get a wrap or a brace, and then head home to drown my pain in-whatever.

Naturally my friends, this was not to be. The PA on duty listened to my story, looked at my ankle, probed my ankle, and turned me away with a referral to the Emergency Room.  Why?  Because as part of our general conversation I mentioned that I had driven across the country (a full month before mind you) in a car by myself, and she was afraid my swollen ankle meant I had a blood clot. I was very much NOT HAPPY at this point-but she refused to treat me and I wanted to figure out what was wrong, being in pain and mainly injury-less. So off I went.

Praise the Lord, said ER was not crowded this evening. I was checked in, examined by a nurse, and examined by an intern and then the supervising doctor in no time. In all three cases, they were kind of like "Now, why did they send you here from Urgent Care, again?".  Eventually in what I guess they call an abundance of caution, I had three x-rays of my swollen foot.

The final diagnosis? Not an injury, but an arthritis flare up and one that could happen again-and be even worse (remember that leg degeneration in the ankle and thigh I have?  It's gone to the next level).  And yes, they are as sure as humans and machines can be that I don't have a blood clot in the soft tissue of my ankle.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to know that I didn't whack said ankle in my sleep, that doing simple ankle circles did not the pain cause, and that I'm not so far gone that I don't remember spraining my ankle from day to day. And it's nice to know how to treat said ankle and that I need to get back to an orthopedic doctor pretty quickly.  I just wish those urgent care folks had bothered to check my history and maybe do a quick Xray on their own machines before sending me to ER hell. And ER pricing.

I now have instructions to ice and elevate my foot. I have prescriptions for triple dose Ibuprofen and about six Hydro-Codone. And plans and instructions to stay mainly in bed and keep that foot elevated.

Instructions that I am more than happy to follow. A pillow for my foot, books on my kindle, a notebook and knitting by my side and I'll take that bed, thank you very much!

21 comments:

  1. I went to urgent care very ill. The doctor stuck his head in the door and said he did not know what was wrong with me, that I took so much medicine that it was hard to tell what was happening, that he would call the hospital or he would call an ambulance. Well, my list of meds was not long. They had not taken me off one med when they put me on another. Jerk! I had a uti. Easily detectable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, they did not take the med off the list.

      Delete
    2. In this case I do understand why she did it and I am not second guessing or judging her. It just made for a long night.

      Delete
  2. While I don’t have arthritis, I have gout flare-ups so I can empathize with your pain. Hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first got to Urgent care I got asked about thst. But it wasn't my whole foot, just that ankle area so they ruled it out. I knew it could affect toes but not the foot itself.

      Delete
  3. Hopefully icing and keeping the ankle and foot up are helping. Growing older and all the little changes our bodies go through is not for the faint of heart.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds extremely painful but glad you now know what is wrong so you can find a treatment that will help in the future. Hope it is some better today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Now if it happens again I'll know what to do. No ankle replacements yet, so this will be a learning experience.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry you're going through this! Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, at least you know now exactly what is going on with your foot and ankle. Pamper it and yourself. I hope it clears up soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its something else I will have to learn to manage, but I'll find a way and move on.

      Delete
  7. Yep. It was frustrating trying to figure how it go that way with no trauma, but now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good grief! It's not fun to have an important part of your body out of service. Hopefully your roommate will pitch in and REMIND you to warm/cold your ankle, elevate and take your medicine. Stay home and OFF that foot for a few days.

    And ... get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot do that completely but I am limiting my moving time and ordered groceries for door to door delivery.

      Delete
  9. Glad to hear there isn't a blood clot, but oh my the pain. Hope the meds take care of that and you can enjoy relaxing in bed for a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, not sure I want to take the oxy they sent home so dealing with regular tylenol arthritis for now.

      Delete
  10. I took my husband to urgent care with shortness of breath and the 17 year old (looking) doctor in a mini skirt told us she usually sends the ELDERLY to the hospital. My husband and I looked at each other and mouthed is she calling us old? What a wake up call. Hubs was 63 at the time and I was 62.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning that there is real discrimination on that end.

      Delete
  11. Unfortunately we get to blame part of it on the litigious society we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a stressful time, and good they finally diagnosed the cause. I hope you are healing readily.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!