Friday, November 15, 2019

Frugal Friday-Nothing Doing....

And doing nothing, more or less.

Today was one of those "busy weeks" round here, but it ended up being relaxing as hell. I had to be at church every night to open the door, supervise the cooks and make conversation and explain everything to our guests( we were around robin this week of families finding housing and new families joining us..). Since almost all of this was done with me in a chair and one foot up, I was mainly just chillin'. We have a couple with four teenagers (bless their hearts) a couple with three little ones and two single moms and kids so we are all over the map this visit.

I've probably actually sat MUCH more than I should have. Both yesterday and today I told myself I would go sit on the recumbent or else go to silver sneakers and do it all seated-both times were a fail. This afternoon I'm going to try some seated moves and tomorrow I will head out to do SOMETHING even if it's seated (the ankle has felt much better today and yesterday but I also haven't walked on the darned thing).

I did spend one day on the chair making goals and plans and dates for the new year and another finalizing Christmas-in both cases while watching sports or Netflix. Oh, and I reviewed my Medicare advantage plan and decided I'm sticking with it again for the next year (look for a post on that next week!) 

The basics of what I pay out of pocket and my bennies


Since it's basically the middle of the month, let's see where I am on my frugal (or not so frugal) spending.

1.  I did my mid month shopping with a couple exceptions-and did it all on line. I took advantge of Walmart door to door delivery for basic stuff like dairy products and snacks and breakfast things (it may be my new normal) and went over budget a bit by placing an order to Schwan's (crab cakes, chicken cordon bleu, shepherd's pie and chicken pot pie and some sides). Those two ended up being $170 on the food and supplies budget line. I will probably go over this month, but since I am trying to cook and freeze, I'll buy what I need for those big meals mainly as I need them (not my normal style). Also, I want to try some of those butcher meals and those specials vary from week to week.


2.  I managed to spend less than twenty dollars on entertainment this week since at happy hour I only had a diet coke knowing that I was going to eat at church with the families.

3.  I did spend $70 at Amazon. I bought some wild socks to wear with my shoes and sandals (because, cold feet, you know). I bought two bowl holder type hot pads, mainly for things like oatmeal that I heat in the micro and my large tea cup. I got a new monthly journal and I gifted my son a pair of new wrangler jeans, because restaurant work is difficult on clothing especially when you are the kitchen manager. 

A mix of wool, cotton and acrylic, I may need more of these!



4. Thanks mainly to returns, I have 30 dollars in Paypal credit, a twenty dollar Kohl's card,  a twenty five dollar Target card and about twenty dollars sitting in Amazon M Turk from a couple surveys. Most of these will be used for my wardrobe, except the Kohl's gift card which will probably buy a couple Christmas pillows for the family room.

5. I had an "oh crap" moment, when I realized that the church bazaar begins next weekend and I have contributed nothing, nada, to date. Since I try to contribute by making things I went searching in the ole craft room and came up with various single and double skeins of yarn and will try to get a scarf or cowl and a neck warmer finished. I'll also contribute some Christmas napkins or coasters with are fast to make (my mid month spending does still include getting some fabric-and a pedicure on my poor ankle). I'll also probabl bake something at some point.  

I think I'll start on the red, gray and black and we'll see if I ave time after that.


This afternoon I am going to sit down and make some phone calls, scheduling an ortho appointment as well as some others that are overdue. And if the Schwan's guy or gal comes in a timely manner, I will even head out and grab some fabric. So I can sit. And sew.

17 comments:

  1. Sew your heart out!
    Your church program sounds interesting. We are gearing up for some big time sanctuaries for the winter. Food is the big part---but socks are as well
    Happy warm feet to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. It's a busy week but by love meeting the families.

      Delete
  2. There's always something. Christmas, less than 6 wks away, is on my mind. I've started some kitchen gift baking, i.e cookies, peanut brittle, soup mixes. Some will go to the bake sale at the lodge where my mom lives. I've attended a craft show and signed up for a craft-making project on a whim. That will bump the usual caregivers' support group. There's been a concert with friends, a house concert, a funeral, a 50th wedding anniversary, house guests , 2 game nights (whist, buncos), lunch with my cousin, tending to my mama. No threat of boredom in my retirement. I didn't even get new socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Working on the Christmas list this week. I needed new socks desperately and will get some Plaines ones today. If there's a way to lose a sock....

      Delete
  3. Those bowl holders sound like a great idea. I always use the paper towel placed over whatever bowl of anything that I'm warming in the microwave to help take it out of the microwave and carry the hot bowl to the table. I think I will get some bowl holders. I had never heard of them:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I wear the socks with my sandals and Iike wm bright.

      Delete
  5. Busy but relaxing....I understand completely. We just had 5 days very much like that, though not nearly as creative. Time to work on some hobbies, a church project, and watch a movie with the grandkids on Disney Plus.

    I had a painful bursitis attack in my left shoulder a month ago. A cortisone shot helped but I was told to not use it much for a month....hard to do. Finally, this week, I was able to do some lightweight exercises. There is still a bit of pain, but I will live with it.

    BTW, I agree: cool sox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of that. I'm also investigating stem cells and plasma. It's pretty good today but I haven't done anything yet.

      Delete
  6. Lobe the socks! Great colors. Would you mind saying what brand they are?

    ReplyDelete
  7. you always manage to stay busy even when you are laid up. Good for you! Socks are adorbs!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And this was a SLOW week? It's amazing how busy we can be now that we are retired!! I just can't even look at Schwan's catalog! Newly Type II diabetic so trying to stay at 25 carbs per meal. I love the little Lean Cuisine or even Stouffers if they are 30 carbs or less .... my son-in-law did the shopping and bought me a LARGE Stouffers turkey dinner ... 54 carbs!

    Why can't I crave celery ....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!