Thursday, September 12, 2019

Almost Time..

It's been a mainly low-key week since Sunday. Finished the family promise gig (where the homeless sleep in the church) on Saturday and since then have been hanging close to home. I met some  gals for coffee and conversation on Monday and hit the knitting group on Wednesday for a few hours. Other than that it's been cuddling with the dogs, getting some stuff done around the house here and there and trying to get ready to head out to good ole wedding central.

Tomorrow morning I will load up my car with a single suitcase, my wedding dress and an overnight bag for the hotel. The car will also be laden with the Christmas dishes I'm passing onto my daughter, a couple boxes of genealogy headed her way, my mother's bridal veil, a couple family silver serving dishes that she may or may not want (she does entertain a fair amount) and things from my son and my sister so that they can only take a carry on when they fly. While it sounds like alot, the olde Nissan Murano can handle it. Thankfully it will be close to 90 almost every day in Dallas so all weather clothing will not be needed although I'll grab a sweater on my way out! 



I had thought to take a 2 hour side trip and go on the Highway of Legends on the way down, but I decided that I'll put that off until my adventure home, whenever that is, since it adds a good two hours of driving and being the girl I am, I'd want to get out in more than one place.  Instead I'm going to adjust my route so I travel onto olde route 66 and perhaps see the Cadillac Ranch and get someday time photos of the huge wind farms along 40. On the second day (depending on when I get up, again), I may take a scenic route along Palo Duro Canyon. If not, then I'll hit it on the way home as well, cause the trip from the wedding can be more leisurely. 




Oh, and I'm supposed to bring scissors and multi colored thick Sharpies and come up with a seating card idea that wont blow away in the wind that's not a rock. So, yea, I'm of course taking the kindle and my knitting project an journal but between wedding prep and visiting some old and new Texas haunts (I want to take a hop off and hop on bus in Fort Worth and see the stockyards) I figure I'll be lucky if I have much time to use them. Which is not a bad thing in this case.

I have yet to make a reservation-for the overnight on the way down. Depending on my mood I'll either get the cheapest place, or else experiment with crashing in my car in between to RVs in a Walmart parking lot halfway between here and there. Don't feel sorry for me. It's an experiment I've been wanting to conduct for awhile in preparation for some seat of the pants longer road trips and when better to do it than on a 80 degree plus day. I mean seriously, life is an adventure after all, yes?

Tonight I'm ready to eat, shower and hit the bed early with the puppy. Tomorrow I'll load the car, fill up my lunch bag and head for the road-and maybe see some early mountain fall color in the mix! 




And because I love fall and want to come home to fall decorations I spent a little while today and put just a few things out to set the mood......because, after all, fall.

13 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful time! Road trips are the best...your side trip sounds fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think it will wait until the ride home as well...I can take a leisurely week then and it sounds like daughter is anxiosly waiting for my help1

      Delete
  2. Safe travels! Enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We slept in the back of our pickup with a camper top in a Walmart's once. Had a dog with us who woke up in the middle of the night to let us know a bat had joined us. The bat was trying to get back out and the dog was chasing it, running back and forth on top of us to do it. Bats were all over the place going after the bugs under the bright parking lot light.

    Have fun at the wedding!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! the place I did not stop but was considering is fairly dark. I actually know people who camp more than me who have small mattresses in the backs of their SUVs. I figured I would just put the seat all the way back and grab a blanke, lol.

      Delete
  4. You're going to have a blast! Safe journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have a wonderful time and a safe trip. Just love that adventuring spirit...had to chuckle when you mentioned sleeping in the car between campers in a WM parking lot. Go for it and let us know how it worked out. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is noting I have not done or will not try that my body can handle. i plan to use car sleeping/camping as an alternative for my long gulf trip next spring in case I cannot find a hotel since i always wait for the last minute. I do have friends who have done this.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great adventure and congrats on the wedding of your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great time Barb, you will make your trip and adventure to remember.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an adventurous one! I never thought once about sleeping in my car. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!