Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Managing Energy Levels-My Version of the Spoon Theory

I've purchased a dress, shown below. As I mentioned on FB, the picture is not the best. The dress obviously needs shoes (a teeny bit long) good jewelry and a matching and real uplifting bra (sorry guys). I'm not sure it's my final dress, but so many were just at the knee or below and I wanted longer. And the lace jacket mother of the bride type thing on wedding sites is so very not my style. This is actually not my style either and I waver as to whether it is  too much a Little House on the Prairie type thing. But I have a dress, it's blush and yes, it will work!! I hope.

Lately I've been having some energy and tiredness issues.  I'm finding myself out of energy before dinner and sometimes earlier. My blood work is fine. I'm sleeping seven to eight hours even with my restless sleep. But I am still having to manage energy as well as pain all of a sudden, even though I am "healthy".

Some of this tiredness is caused by pain. I don't have fibro and would not claim to know whet that kind of pain is. I do often have muscle pain that I imagine might be what fibro is if it was not so intense and in the muscles instead of the nerves. They don't hurt when I sit silently too often, but boy can they hurt as I move around, let me tell you. I developed this late in life, and it's not a result of lupus, nor is it in my mind. It could be simple aging. It could be side effects of the statins I've just had to go on in the last couple of years (in spite of my weight I avoided both blood pressure meds and statins until fairly late in life). Either way I am in this place.

In order to stave off  the medical advice type of comments, I need to say here that I  have had a physical. My thyroid levels are where they should be. I do take vitamins and supplements for energy. I eat protein at virtually every meal. I should lose more weight, obviously, but my concentration right now is on strength and endurance. As far as I know my blood sugar is where it should be.

Also I feel that this is beyond normal aging.

I also have recently increased my physical activity in that I am, on most days, doing  a mile and three quarters on a modified cross trainer, and yes, I know that increased activity can wear you out. But that, and my weights are a necessity of life.

The problem, as we all know,  is that I like to "do". Not nearly as much as I used to, but I am unwilling to not go out, socialize, craft, travel, or whatever. I am however at the point where I am willing to accept moderate limitations on many of those. And trust me, you have no idea how much I hate, hate hate, saying that. I am also VERY bad at limiting myself. I tend to live a feast or famine kind of existence if you will. But these things are requirements of life in my world.
Even knitting on the patio while watching the dogs uses up energy these days. Ask me how I know!


So for now, my solutions are two. In the short term I want to commit to my daily hour of exercise, a half an hour to an hour housework time (including dinner prep), my morning and evening routines and one project or outing or social thing a day. Obviously I will do more than this on many days. For now this is just me getting to my lowest level.

And because I am bad at self regulation I am also creating my own version of the spoon theory for the long term. Again, because I tend to over do it in terms of both pain an energy some days and end of crawling the next. For my chronically ill friends, I hesitated to appropriate this one-but I have chronic pain, severe arthritis and other issues that I am afraid put me in the pot of folks who need to think about this. I need to learn some long term self regulation.




For now, I'm starting with 20 spoons, and will adjust it as I go, until I get what is for me on an even keel. I'm sure I will still have uneven days and days when I pay for those afterward. And while those spoons include some daily things, how on earth will I figure out how many spoons I use when driving cross country alone, mainly on cruise control, to see my family.

We learn as we go!



27 comments:

  1. Buying a dress that I'd probably only wear once is not a project I'd like to have. That's a very pretty dress but it doesn't read 'Little House on the Prairie' to me. It does read wedding attire, though. Whatever you pick, you're going to have a great time and look lovely doing it. I love you're sharing your decision making process because we all go through those kinds of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea. I could let this make me crazy. But it's for one day. Not even a day.

      Delete
  2. We all have to slow down as we age. An unfortunate fact of life, but a true one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. But my issues with chronic illness go beyond age. I have gals in my gals group who are bike riding and hiking and even weight lifting

      Delete
  3. Pretty dress. I had a difficult time finding a dress for my daughter’s wedding. When I finally found a dress I liked it had a silver zipper that went up the back. My mother said she could change the zipper but I couldn’t find a peach zipper that was long enough. I finally took some peach finger nail polish and coated the zipper. It worked just fine!
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all come up with our solutions. This is a teeny bit long and I dont wear heels so I'll probably be searching out platform comfort shoes.

      Delete
    2. Angie,
      That is what I was thinking as I read the problem. Good for your ingenuity.

      Delete
  4. I know the feeling of having to slow down. I can't keep up with the grandson when he's over but try to and then I pay for it the next day with more than the usual aches and pains. The dress is a pretty color!

    I like your spoon theory and putting it to work and I admire you for venturing out on your own across country.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't worn a dress in years - my kids better not get married as they'd have a tough time convincing me to wear one, let alone shop for it. The color is pretty but I'm with you, it's a bit too long.

    Good luck with the spoon theory and I'm interested in how it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'll need platform shoes or those with a heel for sure.

      Delete
  6. Shoes and an uplifting bra will make it the perfect length. The uplifting bra will make it fit shorter...lol. It does not look like LHOTP to me. It looks perfect. Where did you get that? I want one like it. Fibromyalgia makes nerves, muscles, bones, and joints hurt. Sometimes I get so tired my eyes hurt and not from reading. You could also have chronic fatigue syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont have chronic fatique syndrom, but I suppose I might have some symptoms of lupus as a side of the meds I am on. I got it from Torrid.

      Delete
  7. I think the dress is lovely and while it might not be your style, it is something I think your daughter will like.

    Since I broke my wrist I find myself favouring that arm a great deal, which causes me pain in the other arm. I do like the idea of spoon theory, but don't know if I could adapt it enough for my problems.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I finally found it! It comes in black and white. It looks more boho to me. I would wear it other places besides the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, but I dont wear either black or white, and I wouldnt wear blush if it wasnt for the wedding......yea, probably boho is a good decription.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your muscle pain sure sounds like my husband's side effects from statins.
    The dress is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that's what it is. I may go off em and see if I can lower on my own.

      Delete
    2. I was wondering about the statins too...my muscle pain increased the longer I was on them. I finally told my doctor and she had me stop immediately. I didn't realize how much pain I was in until the statins worked their way out of my system. A miracle drug for some, but not for me! Good luck!!


      Delete
  11. As my friends and I age, we all admit to having less energy and needing more quiet time. Like you I treasure my social time, and then enjoy quieter times at home. Your dress is pretty and I like the blush color.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like Mother Earth, I think we ebb and flow. You are doing all the right things ... rest when your body tells you, when you have the energy ... go go go!!!

    Love the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know you aren't looking for suggestions on your fatigue, but I thought I would throw this possibility out.

    Since you are under a docs care and you said your blood work was normal - I assume your doc has ruled out PMR. Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is an inflammatory disorder typically seen in older adults that causes widespread aching, stiffness and flu-like symptoms. It is more common in women than men, and is seen more often in Caucasians than any other race. My mom had this condition - which included fatigue. It came on slowly and it recedes slowly but can last many years. It is typically diagnosed by looking at the sedimentation rate - an element in your lab work - assuming the doc asked for that. Worth double checking with the doc or his assistant. It isn't all that common a condition, but it can be found in our age group and it can make you tired and aching and miserable as it progresses. And they do have meds they can use to control the symptoms while it runs it course - however long that is. For some it is a short time - a few months - for my mom it was about 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Barb I love reading your blog and just wanted to say I am sorry about your current health issues. I know from reading for a long time that you have bad knees but don't recall hearing about the fatigue previously -- if it is new it does seem it could be something more than normal aging. In any event, thinking of you and sending lots of good wishes for good health!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I recently have some difficult conversations and I did what a lot of people do when they want to know how to do something. I googled it. I came across Dr Williams herbal medicine on blog-site so many people thanking him about his good work. I also have fibromyalgia. I wasn’t running all over God’s creation with every man I could find but here I am. I have felt bad about myself for so many years now because of my fibromyalgia status. I obviously still have some self-accepting to do but I want to thank Dr Williams for everything he have done for my family ,after taking Dr Williams medicine i was completely free from fibromyalgia within one month of usage, I think what you are doing is so admirable. you have helped me a lot! I want to definitely reach out to you and thank you for your amazing work. You are a good person, and an extremely talented man. You have helped millions with your herbs, and have really inspired me,and i pray you still continue doing the good work.you can also email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pay Per Click - Denver

    Silva Marketing Corporation is started to provide affordable online marketing solutions for your businesses. We provide

    efficient and affordable pay per click services in Denver.

    to get more -http://silvamarketingcorp.com/pay-per-click/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow thats very wonderful I actually have detected a replacement app this app revision rhinoplasty is nice and that i have started viewing it.Thanks for the assistance and suggesting the matter i'll travel with it.Keep business and writing new article.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!