Friday, July 19, 2019

Frugal Friday-No Spend Weekend?

One of my early summer goals was to make "decisions" about the upper yard. We still haven't made any official decisions as to repair/replace pergola vs move it over and extend the patio into an L shape but as you can see by the photos below in comparison-this is easily my favorite summer place with my own little "jungle" and lots of privacy right around now. Since my east facing window wakes me up early at this time of year (blackout curtains anyone?) I have been spending some time here first time in the morning. As well as in the afternoon (this backyard faces west, so its shade all afternoon and evening thanks to the greenery)! other yard photos below.

Then


And, now!


As for Frugal Friday:

1.  I'm home alone on Saturday and Sundays (the people I live with work in garden retail/restaurant management type jobs) and my gals group generally meets only on weekdays or evenings. Since I'm trying to have no spend weekends until I head south, I've been making a list each week of almost free stuff to do alone. This weeks list includes a Colorado Pride exhibit at the Depot Gallery (literally a train depot and attached car),  a weekly trip to a different farmer's market, a morning walk in Hudson Gardens, and perhaps checking out some new locales for the gals group. I won't do all of these, on account of heat and sewing, obviously!! 

2. I just recently discovered that my library system has a Maker Space. I signed up for a few free classes including one in mold making, one on making "boho" earrings and one on learning to use their embroidery machine ( a good test to see if I want one for Christmas)! Just another reason to love the library, you know!

3. I also just recently realized that my provider (Humana), let's me earn free stuff-and that I had a twenty five dollar gift certificate waiting for me (which I traded in for a gift card). If you have Humana, check it out! By connecting to my Fitbit, I earn five dollars for seven days of exercise. You also get cash rewards for colorectal screening, cardiac screening, bone density screening and the like-and even for social activities Ike volunteering and doing yoga! As an aside, so far I am thrilled with suspending my retiree insurance to go with an Advantage plan, as well as the decision to move to a senior/Medicare only primary care group.

4. I had another pretty cheap entertainment week. $12.00 for the senior menu and drink at the Blackeyed Pea with the gals, and 3 bucks for a diet coke at happy hour yesterday (In fairness that was less about saving money than it was the fact that I had hangar steak and green beans and mashed potatoes waiting at home and didn't want to ruin the ole appetite!). I brought my own food to knitting group and otherwise entertained said self in nature, with crafts on hand and so forth. I missed my church's monthly senior potluck and talk because the friendly AC guy arrived at that time-but no complaints.

5. For a future frugal thing, I've hopped on the Ebates/Rebate bandwagon. Later than many, I know. But I literally do almost all my shopping online (even groceries are ordered and picked up) with the exception of some small local stores (craft stores, restaurant and bars, independent book stores and so on). Even as a mainly frugal shopper who likes to take advantage of deals I can see the savings and future gift cards adding up-especially if I use their portal for all the travel stuff coming this fall.

6. A slightly non frugal thing-I've opted not to use Airbnb for the beach week and instead go with a traditional beach front hotel. There were a few beach front condos but none I was in love with even at the price. And everything else required walking to the beach and usually did not have a pool. This is one of those "kick back and spoil ourselves weeks" and also my sister-in-law is post stroke with health problems and I don't want to have to ask her to expend too much effort. So we're doing the two bedroom suite, room service, pool and room facing the gulf thing. Sometimes ya just gotta.

7. I didn't even look at Prime Day or any of it's competitors. Nuff Said?

Happy weekend and what are your frugal moves lately-if any! 
Flying pig and goat-I've been tasked with providing goat with seasonal attire!


Lots of seating options in the lower yard-although I need help to get there, of course!

Add caption

15 comments:

  1. Yes, I've discovered too that libraries do SO much more than just provide books these days! They are real community hubs for all sorts of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell ya, everytime I turn around they are offering something new.

      Delete
  2. I love your yard. I have decided flowers in pots are the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not the yard whisperer but I understand much easier than digging.

      Delete
  3. You have a lovely yard! Your pergola area looks particularly inviting.

    Thanks for the reminder about the library. I had forgotten they often have programming. Duh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our library charges an arm and a leg for classes. And that's too bad because they have come great ones.

    I love Amazon but I stayed away from their big promotes, too. It's not a bargain if you really didn't need something and are just buying it because it's on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost all of our library things are free (well, free after taxes and donations, lol).

      Delete
  5. I must say your library is awesome!! I must also say I love my embroidery machine as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to decide what I would really do with it. Same thing for a serger since I dont sew clothes.

      Delete
  6. Your outoor seating area is lovely! I have started to use my eBates more regularly too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice lower, and upper yard. I hear you about the beach front hotels. They are soooo nice, but do bust the budget.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a lovely garden!! Just wanted to thank you for including my blog in your blog roll. I get a lot of traffic from your site, so I'm very grateful! Enjoy that garden!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our Library System is amazing. Activities, lectures, meeting spaces of groups, clubs, etc. Truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently have some difficult conversations and I did what a lot of people do when they want to know how to do something. I googled it. I came across Dr Williams herbal medicine on blog-site so many people thanking him about his good work. I also have fibromyalgia. I wasn’t running all over God’s creation with every man I could find but here I am. I have felt bad about myself for so many years now because of my fibromyalgia status. I obviously still have some self-accepting to do but I want to thank Dr Williams for everything he have done for my family ,after taking Dr Williams medicine i was completely free from fibromyalgia within one month of usage, I think what you are doing is so admirable. you have helped me a lot! I want to definitely reach out to you and thank you for your amazing work. You are a good person, and an extremely talented man. You have helped millions with your herbs, and have really inspired me,and i pray you still continue doing the good work.you can also email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!