Friday, July 26, 2019

Six Frugal Things

I finally had a one on one dinner with my son this week. While it doesn't fall under the "frugal" heading as we headed to Texas Roadhouse, it's something we don't get to do that often with various schedule issues. I'd like to say we can do this once a month but I'll be happy with every six weeks.

At lunch today, we had a couple interesting conversations. One was on hobbies, and how many of us find our interest waxes and wanes and we don't necessarily have the passion for "one big thing" any more. I definitely fall under this umbrella. While I still knit, quilt, sew and occasionally draw, sometimes I do none of them for a week-and sometimes I spend a day doing all. I find myself more interested in doing things with others (In small groups rather than large most of the time), and quiet times like reading. Obviously I'm still expanding as I am in the process of teaching myself to do art quilts and fabric decoration (see below), but my "creative" hobbies often take a back seat to other parts of life which are either more social, or more relaxed, depending.

Meanwhile, a few frugal things this week:

1.  I broke my no summer style clothes spending fast - which may not seem frugal as such. but as many of us from very warm weather climates know, dress are always the coolest thing to wear. It's 94 out and these dresses were on deep sale as well as being buy one get one for five dollars. I'm now back on the no clothes until fall band wagon (that clothing inventory shows I have total of five long sleeved tops including the  casual ones and one heavy cardigan). Exceptions will be accessories to go with wedding dress if needed. 


2.  I'm still looking at ways to hem the wedding dress but I've decided it's a keeper even if I have to pay for hemming-the darned thing was only sixty dollars. I may even be able to cut around a layer of lace with small scissors and use fray check leaving a scalloped egg. Which would be the ultimate frugality considering I will never wear this dress again.

3.  After thinking the larder was bare, we have somehow bought almost nothing in groceries this week. I bought some additional chicken, we had enough ham to make a ham and pasta salad this evening and I added some fruit and lettuce. This will admittedly probably mean a big shop next week for fill-ins. And maybe some pre-cooked chicken and burgers to avoid the stove.

4. In another ode to the library, I am sitting here with at least six books on mixed media and art quilts, as well as a group of books bought from the library sale for pennies. While I may have gone to the kindle dark side for regular reading, I've yet to turn down an almost free book in any form and for crafts and other instruction I prefer a large "real book".

5.  Except for a senior lunch menu item and a single drink at happy hour my entertainment and enrichment for the week has included books from the library, three free classes at three health clubs (thank you Silver Sneakers), playing with craft supplies on hand, knitting at my local independent book store and other no out of pocket costs. Next week should be more of the same with the exception of the food to go with my five dollar movie fee when we go see the new Quentin Tarentino movie on Tuesday.

6. Frugal because my time is equally valuable and I am trying to limit online time: I have removed myself from almost all of my "deal" websites, as well as their attendant emails. I am still big on saving money but I appreciate calm. I kept the best website/app (KrazyKoupon Lady) which I can go to without being emailed. I have apps for the places I shop the most so I can get rewards and I use a couple shop through sites. Other than that, I prefer to make my money saving about not buying, re-using and up-cycling and cut down on digital time.S

Happy Weekend Everyone!

14 comments:

  1. The dresses l0ok cool. Great price! I emailed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually may exchange them for ones with sleeve

      Delete
  2. Good job on the dresses.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dresses. They should help you still cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you ... don't like crowds anymore, just like doing things with others in small groups.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, pasta salad. I haven't made that in a long time. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your idea of cutting down on digital time, and congrats on the deal on your new dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great dresses! I look forward to seeing the final view of that lovely dress for the wedding (photo from your previous post - and I looked it up on Torrid). It's so pretty that I won't be a bit surprised to hear tell of you wearing it again later!😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is besutiful. I just don't have the occasion for something like that and my taste is a tad more modern.

      Delete
  8. Super cute dresses!! Dresses are my summer mainstay...perfect for the summer heat. As for your dress for wedding....trimming just might work, especially if you get to keep the scallops too. Good luck!!

    Yes, I totally get what you're saying about interest. I used to stay so focused on projects, and that was with work and wrangling four kids. Now I have more time than ever, and I'm sometimes flitting between projects, sometimes super focused, sometimes just pondering life I guess. I feel like an aging teen, not knowing which end is up - haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dresses look FAB! I should try wearing dresses. Except my thighs sweat!!! I need to cut down on internet time .... at least Facebook! Please keep on blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently have some difficult conversations and I did what a lot of people do when they want to know how to do something. I googled it. I came across Dr Williams herbal medicine on blog-site so many people thanking him about his good work. I also have fibromyalgia. I wasn’t running all over God’s creation with every man I could find but here I am. I have felt bad about myself for so many years now because of my fibromyalgia status. I obviously still have some self-accepting to do but I want to thank Dr Williams for everything he have done for my family ,after taking Dr Williams medicine i was completely free from fibromyalgia within one month of usage, I think what you are doing is so admirable. you have helped me a lot! I want to definitely reach out to you and thank you for your amazing work. You are a good person, and an extremely talented man. You have helped millions with your herbs, and have really inspired me,and i pray you still continue doing the good work.you can also email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dr williams is fraud he took from me
    £260/- for tinitus medicines but never send me medicines
    I send him money through money gram and he received money in UAE I have documentry evidences
    I am in london uk my email (husein005@hotmail.com)
    I am tinitus sufferer pls pls for God sake be carefull this address (drwilliams098675@gmail.com)is FRAUD on some pages
    I seen he comes with 098765,ALL ABOVE IF YOU OBSERVE THOROUGHLY SAME NAMES ON DIFFERENT WEB PAGES RECOMENDING DRWILLIAMS098675@GMAIL.COM
    ON DIFFERENT DISEASES THIS ALL SCAM

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!