Monday, June 17, 2019

Monday Musings

A few (or more) thoughts post weekend:

1. I seem to be even having more attention issues as usual when it comes to my projects-hence this is not "Making it Monday"!  I've been doing lots of craft and art, just not on the same item. I have one half of a sweater completed. The same with the patriotic bird house and table runner as well as a couple other projects. Hopefully I'll settle down and finish the painting of the birdhouse by tomorrow, and maybe I can get some pics up on FB or instagram. I just keep flitting!!

2. Speaking of that sweater, even within the same eyelets, the yarns are not necessarily in the same order. So the back shades of yarn will differ from the front as the colors change. Definitely bright. Bright, bright, bright!!

3.  I had a conversation with my sister I have been meaning to have about dinner hour issues. She gets home at seven, walks the dog, and then often works in the yard, especially at this time of year. I told her that I would need to start eating closer to six thirty and either keeping hers in the oven or chilling it so she can zap it. I hate to do it but I simply CANNOT eat at seven thirty or even eight on regular basis any more. Because of this, I'll also be buying more healthy convenience items like deli chickens and quiches or cooking in the slow cooker where things can remain on warm. Having said all that, I went to five thirty church this evening and then out to dinner with the son, meaning we at at close to seven thirty. But it's a rarity.

4.  I've been going through that clothes inventory, and making lists of things I will want to add. Things I might add that are not going to get bought during the summer unless they are that 47 dollar shirt that I found on clearance for less than ten dollars. I need to come up with a blush maxi dress or midi dress for my daughter's wedding in September, and have some other upcoming major purchases I want to plan for. So except for long sleeved shirts (I have four) and cardigans (not enough) my goal is mainly replacement as part of natural attrition. So far, no blush dress as such, they all seem to be peachy, color wise.

5.  I've made some change to my gals group. Starting in July, while we will have happy hour (food optional) once a week, we will not have a lunch every week. Both for the budget and the waistline. We have two lunches and a Sunday brunch (at a restaurant called Bacon-and yes, exactly). Other than that we have a five dollar movie day, coffee and conversation and walking, and a meet up at a free evening outdoor concert at the local library. I'm trying to both lower the lunches and create more events where people can casually meet up as I will not physically be here the month of September and much of October.

6. I forgot to mention that on Thursday I took my first Zumba Gold class, which literally kicked my ass!!!!!! I was completely exhausted the next day-which is probably a good thing this class was not for me. I need more of a low impact aerobic class without all the steps. I mean seriously. This woman included Bollywood style steps, Cha-Cha, Meringue and so much more. My coordination level does not allow for that. I could do the steps or the crazy arms but not both.I think my exercise future is pool aerobics on Monday, Dance aerobics on Thursday and plain old walking and or Tai Chi video the other days with weight training. 

7. On Saturday I was supposed to go to lunch at a local brewery and then check out the market they had on their grounds (crafts, food trucks, antiques, you name it). I was also supposed to go possibly to a local quilt show held by a guild. I wimped out in full. I ended p reading much of the next Nevada Barr book, sitting outside with the dogs, and making crab cakes. It puts me behind in my "craft fair/farmers market goal", but I am going to a farmers market on Wednesday, as well as another gals day out thing on Tuesday. I have to be really inspired to go out on a Saturday if it's something I can also do on a week day.

8. I cancelled two subscriptions through Amazon: Kindle Unlimited and PBS Masterpiece. I do love the Great Courses Plus but am considering losing that one because I don't watch enough as well. Those savings will go into my saved saving challenge account, at least through the summer.

9.  One of those barely legible things written overnight in my journal was "take a family holiday". As in go somewhere as opposed to just spending a week at Christmas together and occasionally another week together at her Dallas house or my Denver house, Working on it for next year after daughter gets her Master's here. I'm thinking a cruise but we will see.

10.  And finally, I am always glad to see that we have at least one soccer team in this country that is capable of playing on the international stage and actually winning-sorry, men!

21 comments:

  1. You'll get the projects done all in good time:) I agree with you that 7:30 pm is a late time for dinner. I usually eat early anytime from 5:00 to 6:00 pm. Maybe on the days that it's your sister's turn to prepare dinner, you could have a late afternoon snack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,well she is off on those days and so usually has dinner done by 7. Lol.

      Delete
  2. We aim for 7pm dinner. Then have dessert about 9pm. It's interesting to mesh lifestyles, isn't it!?? This summer we feed the boys at 7 so they are in bed by 9 ... then we each eat when we want to. I'm trying to get this Type 2 under control so instead of junk food in bed for "dessert", I'll have a healthy meal WITH carbs and my glass of wine about 8pm. Just eating 5-6 times a day has brought down my fasting level 20 points in a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to be more aggressive on the carbs and walking and today was a fail. I especially need to be more careful at lunch and dinner. Although last nite at the outback I had green beans a salad and steak and a lobster tail. Which is good if you forget about that warm bread in the beginning.

      Delete
  3. I can't imagine eating that late - 6 p.m. is my limit. Not only do I find I don't sleep well when I eat later, but I tend to grab whatever is closest at the time and not think about what I'm eating.

    Have fun with all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I generally have a glass of milk or a small snack for overnight as well.

      Delete
  4. I too have periods of flitting during my crafting time. I've learned to let it play out, as often there's a reason for it....I'm bored with the project, something's not quite right, or a better idea is niggling to make itself known...I have come across some of my best ideas during those pondering times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true. But I would like to get the patriotic stuff completed by the 4th, ya know?

      Delete
    2. Well, there is that :) I too have a deadline coming up soon on a baby quilt that's cramping my style....but a bit of concerted effort will make it happen (and while the baby is still a baby!) Good luck to us both...we may need it!

      Delete
  5. I was flitting between projects as well for many months and nothing was being completed. So now I am back to one project during the day and my knitting in the evening. I am actually completing things. Yea for me.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would not like to regularly eat at 7:30, although I do sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do sometimes as well, especially when we go out.

      Delete
  7. My husband used to love late dinner, and I was unhappily tolerant for years. I finally said enough is enough. I can't eat at 8 p.m. or even later! Now we aim for 6ish. Much improved. I'm not sure I persuaded him. Probably just age. Early bird specials exist for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear. I can even go for seven, but after that...

      Delete
  8. Hubby and I recently changed our evening eating schedule, too. In fact, we were both struggling with maintaining our weight. We've tried to stay active, but the pounds were creeping up. We both agreed to eat "lupper" a late lunch/early supper and experiment with intermittent fasting. It has been a great change for us! We both sleep much, much better, since digestion is pretty much complete when we go to bed, plus, we're losing a little weight. A person has to switch it up sometimes. Good luck to you on finding what works, Barb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have never been into the fasting thing and I generally eat three and three, meals and sncks.....although since I start late lunch may as well be a late snack some days!

      Delete
  9. I use Leslie Sansone's (Walk at Home) DVDs a lot and have for years. I highly recommend them - just enough movement and sweat without feeling like someone tried to kill me. :) I've bought DVDs off Amazon, bought some thru Amazon Videos that I stream, and also have borrowed some through the library. I highly recommend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have watched and worked out with her on occasion and enjoy her intermittent programs because I like to go really fast for while....but I hate her cheery chat to the others,too much perkiness!! I also do silver sneakers utube and now will try a Zumba gold utube so I can look foolish in the privacy of my own home!!! I also do weight workouts through sit, stand and move.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!