Thursday, May 23, 2019

Thursday, Things That Make You Go........Argggghhhh!!

obligatory monthly dog photo-overseeing his domain!
Denver has a pretty great climate. We had seventy degrees in January, there is at least some sun almost every single day, no matter the weather. Being a mile closer to the sun means that when the sun is out, sixty degrees can feel closer to seventy. The downside is that April can be the snowiest month, which is why next year I plan to spend a month to six weeks with my daughter in Texas. This year however, things have been a bit-worse, as they were in other parts of the country. Last week, we had seventy degree days. Then we had two days of snow (the first time it has been this late in like a hundred years). Tomorrow we again have seventy degrees and full sun. 

Our tree was about half this size, but you get the idea!

Last year, as they do every year, the city offered up trees to resident for dirt cheap-we just had to plant them in the town limits. They were delivered to us. We got a Chanticleer Pear for thirty five dollars and planted it in April a year ago.  Said tree was healthy, in full flower and beautiful. Yesterday, we went outside, and said tree had been literally broken in half-from the wet spring snow, although it was less than an inch. It will now have to be dug out, although it kills us to be digging up what is still a live tree. Much more than an argghhhh moment and so sad.

Meanwhile, after two weeks of illness (not lie down in bed illness, but cold, sniffing and hacking nonetheless) I have finally been healthy for almost a week. Only. I CANNOT stop coughing. For  no earthy reason. I walk around sucking on cough drops and telling people I'm not contagious, really, when they look at me. I finally called the doctor, who gave me a prescription for tessalon pearls. Hopefully this will take care of the recurring after-cough that is driving me crazy!!
Little throat coating capsules

I don't know what is wrong with me!! The sweater that I am working on is simple as can be. A reverse stockinette stitch for my knitting readers, with no more increases or decreases until the cap sleeves. But I have made silly mistakes and had to pull the thing down about seven rows three separate times!! Not only that, but I just realized that in two places I added a stitch somehow. I decided I will sew those little holes together later and keep on keeping on, but I'm going to only knit in peace and quiet until I figure out what is distracting me. In fact, I'm going to put my knitting aside tomorrow and practice a water color cactus picture for my daughter's wall. 



And finally, last weekend we received a notice that the street had to be clear all of this week for pavement reselling. All cars had to be off the street. We have a one car garage (albeit a very wide driveway) and so we have been playing rotating bumper cars with a a couple big Subarus and a Nissan Murano. And here it is Thursday morning with not a work person in sight. If this continues into next week, unhappiness man, unhappiness. 

Dare I go even shorter??

This afternoon, I'm headed to the mall to actually walk for the first time since my spring cold began, then to get my hair cut (perhaps a quarter inch shorter, I'm going as short as I can). Then I'm hitting happy hour, and my sister (who does actually cook), is making Waterzoofor dinner. 


Things are getting better.

15 comments:

  1. I had not heard of Waterzooi but looks good.
    Those tessalon tablets (2 at a time) generally work for me. I hope they do you too! How much shorter do you want your hair Barb? Here I am wearing a hat because I am growing mine out. I should just do what you do, but my face can't handle that short I'm afraid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just about everyone I know here in MI has a cough that won't stop. I've had mine for 4 weeks, after a nasty cold and when I saw the doctor today for a different matter, she said it hangs on for 6-7 weeks. The coughing can sure wear you out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially when there's no real cause except irritation, I tell ya.

      Delete
  3. Too bad about your tree! Hope your cough is gone soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Lots of tea and meds and cough drops.

      Delete
  4. I had never heard of Waterzooi either but I looked at the recipe link that you provided and it looks like something I should try making. I like your earrings. Did you make them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not, I bought them at a local second hand store called Clothes Mentoes.

      Delete
  5. Losing your tree is such a shame. Darn weather this year has been just plain odd. We're currently above seasonal temps with no moisture in the forecast. We desperately could use some.

    Hope your cough is gone soon. Enjoy your painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll enjoy it, how good it will be is a separate question, lol.

      Delete
  6. Those tablets really worked for me back in February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love em.little gold pills, that they are.

      Delete
  7. I am working around this stupid cold I seem to have gotten. I just can't do much at one time.

    So sorry about the pear tree. Hopefully it comes back.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I seem to remember working with someone in the early 1970s, and he had to go to Denver, in June, and he got stuck there because of ... a snowstorm! I could be misremembering (maybe it was May?), but anyway, Denver sure does have weird weather ... but then don't we all these days!?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!