Sunday, May 19, 2019

Sunday Musings



Last week was the week that was. This morning, things are mainly back to normal. Daughter and future son in law are on their trip home. Son is relaxing before heading back to work tomorrow after a week spent visiting with his sister, and a full day (and night) of graduation celebrations. I am now back in the routine, looking forward to summer fun, fall travel and an upcoming wedding!

Thoughts of the day.........

1.  We ate out pretty much all last week.  To say the least.  One day, we ate at a new "best of Open table" Italian restaurant. Shrimp risotta with Speck and zuchinni and Limoncello cream cake. Another day we ate in-but eating in was ordering Lamb Kabob plates through Grub Hub with grape leaves and all the sides. On Saturday, we all went to brunch following son's gradutation, where I paid for myself, sister, son and his guest. One the many reasons I take advantage of all the free and mainly free entertainment/educational things the Denver area has to offer is that allows us to eat out, celebrate nicely, and occasionally get high price musical tickets. 

Aside from all my own dining expense and experience, my brother invited us over one day and ordered in Egyptian food, and another day for pizza and salad. I may actually have to cook this week. But not tonight. We are getting a bucket of chickent, biscuits and sides so no time will be wasted before the GOT finale.

2. Speaking of the free entertainment thing,  yesterday I got the list off all the free summer concerts from the four locations near me, the summer recreation list, and the library senior program list. Talk about filling my days. This week I'm doing a library program that is painting succulent pots!

3. I've been talking for over a year about hiring a cleaning person every other week. Both because I cannot bend, crouch or get to the floor (think bathroom floor, bottoms of toilet seats, bathtubs and stuff under beds mainly), and because I absolutely refuse to spend any more than an hour of a day on my home maintenance, and some days spend less. If you are of the other persuasion I appreciate and admire you, but that will never be me. And yet, I have not done so, even though I could adjust the budget. Whether it's just that I want to spend that money elsewhere, or a personality flaw when it comes to hiring someone, it seems I just don't want to go that direction right now. So instead, I have gone in another direction, looking for tools that will let me do it myself with ease. So far I have found a long handled bath tub scrubber that I can use by simply bending over. I contine to look for other "tools" that will help me on my journey, until the time when I am willing to pay someone else, if it ever comes. I still won't spend more than an hour, but perhaps it will be a more efficient hour, lol.

4. My son-in-law and daughter are not road trippers as such. They generally fly to their destinations. But they decided to bring the dogs along and drive this week. It was fun to see how much they enjoyed stopping at various roadside attractions, from the smallest skyscraper in Wichita Falls, to the Caddilac Ranch in Amarillo, to the Capulin volcano and a neon painted dinosaur park near the site of fossils in NM. They also took advantage each day of something Colorado-ish, such as visiting the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, going on a Coors brewery tour and visiting some of the thousand breweries in downtown Denver.

5. Speaking of explorations, theirs reminded me that I am due to get back into my half day trips for the spring and summer. On Thursday, I'll head to Morrison, explore the park, perhaps go to a museum and have lunch. And yes, I do love doing this kind of thing, all by myself.

Tonight is church at six (I could not get up this morning), that bucket of chicken and TV. Tomorrow, I'm going to try and save without ripping out my sweater and the mistake I made while knitting with four dogs in the picture, and perhaps take myself out to the five dollar movie showing of John Wick 3.

Happy Sunday!


14 comments:

  1. Never heard of Egyptian food. Sounds interesting.

    Our libraries have some great classes but they charge $30-50 for a two hour class. I just can't do those on a whim like I used to do when I was younger.

    Sounds like you've got a great summer lined up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O wow, our library rarely charges and when they do it's a nominal fee, be it a seniors discussion or movie nights or drop in craft classes. Guess I'm lucky.

      Delete
  2. Great pic --congrats to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to your son! Those road trip stops look like fun. I bet they're glad they drove. Have you been to Georgetown? I like looking at houses so we had fun there. Of course, that was two decades ago when we lived in Fort Collins. No idea what Georgetown is like now.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila. I never have, but it's on my list.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the graduation. I agree, those free summer concerts and other entertainment opportunities are the best ... we go to at least one a week in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to the new Graduate! I've got one of those too as of Saturday. Does he have plans for what's next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'slooking for jobs and not having much look, but I told him even in this market it can take months to find a position, especially since he is entry level and his school did not do internships.

      Delete
  7. Congrats to your son!!

    Other than our family reunion I don't think we will be travelling much this summer. You have fun on your travels.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy outings by myself also. I can take my time, stop when I wanted to, explore what I want to or not. I can eat whatever, wherever without considering dietary restrictions. I can play my favourite tunes and best of all..... I enjoy my own company!

    ReplyDelete
  9. about the housekeeping -- i'm a long-time fan of Marla Cilley at www.flylady.net. To support the completely free program, they sell well-made, adjustable tools in the "FLYShop" on the site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do follow her in terms of the "zone" a week, but truthfully other than that not a huge fan. I dont even own shoes that tie! I just saw the store, and I will peruse that-but I am looking for specifically handicap style tools. Its a thing in progress!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!