Sunday, April 7, 2019

Frugal Things

It's been more than awhile since I did one of these, so we'll see what I come up with!

1.  I got a rewards certificate from my favorite store (Christopher and Banks) for twenty dollars. I also got a call last week telling me that since I was considered a VIP during this weekend's friends and family sale, I would get fifty percent off everything. I ended up getting three spring tops, a pair of crop pants, and a long spring cardigan. I also took a trip to a local Clothes mentors consignment store. While I rarely find my kind of "spring" colors there in clothing, I do find many accessories including scarves and earrings for a couple bucks each.

2. I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but I sat in my studio/office and made a list of every craft item or tool I had, including yarn, paint, paint brushes and so on-as well as a list of partially completed projects. Then I made a large list of stuff I could make, or finish making with little to no additional supplies. I actually am low on fabric (although I have a whole pile of seasonal half yard cuts that I will turn into tote bags or something). I tend to do this something like quarterly. Since I've promised myself that this season I will take at lest one or two paid, fun craft classes a month, I'm trying to keep my craft inventory in some kind of check. (by the way, I didn't get to the flower class, so I'll try it myself. Instead I'm gonna try a painting on canvas or  glass painting class in the next week.

Although I will no longer be paying tuition for my son, I have his graduation issues to address, a daughter's wedding in the fall (I'll pay for the catering and her dress, there will be no showers and such), and a whole road trip in September. So I'm looking for ways to  amuse myself cheaply for the next few months.

3. I've been using my slow cooker to cook what may be non traditional slow cooker food with groceries bough on loss leader prices. I made slow cooker barbecued chicken thighs with a large family pack that cost five dollars (the trick is to put a small amount of barbecue sauce and cook them on high for about four hours. Then they end up being the really dark sticky skin thighs instead of just cooking in the sauce).  I did the same with Italian sausage and peppers. Both gave meals for two days at a very low price. I do a pile of summer cooking in my slow cooker (not just soups and stews) and will try to share pictures starting next week (boneless country ribs).

4. I've moved to mainly using Kroger Clicklist or Walmart Pickup or Walmart delivery for my groceries. I don't love walking the grocery aisles (even for produce). My experience with all three is that both the meat selections and the produce choices are very good. This avoids my habit of running up and down all the aisles, and adding things like large bags of sweet and salty nuts and such to my cart. They honor the sales flyers and take coupons. A win-win!

5. While I am not the plant whisperer/gardener/digger in the dirt as such, together we agreed that this year would mainly be maintenance in the three level back yard. For the last five years we have (she has) dug through weed barrier, created new gardens and seating areas, planted trees and done a great deal both in terms of labor and purchasing. Obviously we'll maintain the yard, and of course we will buy plants (many in pots to go on the large brick fireplace in the patio). Along with that, we will put off updating slowly failing no longer pretty pergola until fall. I'll get a shade to put over the top of it (we continue to be unable to decide whether to cover and fix it in place or turn the patio into an L shape and move the covered area there. No point in spending much until we've made this big decision).

6. My gal's group mainly makes an effort to lunch at places with many options $10 and under and our happy hours tend to be at places where the snacks are reasonable and those that just want a drink (or lemonade or iced tea) feel comfortable. However, I wanted to add some mainly free or even lower cost type items. So starting in May (if not sooner) I will be including easy walks that end with a coffee type get together, afternoon coffee and chats and plans for those who want to knit, sew, draw or craft.

7. I changed from my previous insurance to a Humana Advantage zero cost plan. My first experience with prescriptions is that 90 days of each of my drugs went down from ten dollars to two dollars. Believe my I'll take it. This new practice is a senior specific practice and so far I'm very pleased and will write at least one post about the experience when I get a chance.

8. I've mainly redone my budget. Both because of the lack of tuition payments and because of some lifestyle realities. I plan to share the whole thing in the next week or so, but let's just say it includes dedicated craft/hobby, dining out and entertainment, clothing, and "home comfort" categories. Part of the frugal budgeting process is knowing thyself and any extra in these categories (and I am sure there will be extra many months) will go into the "sinking fund at large". I have learned that I need dedicated categories for everything rather than a large spending fund.

9.  I spent $25 bucks to get the good car wash for the first time this year. Because part of getting a car to last to 2000 miles is to treat it well-both the mechanics and the interior and shell. My car's undercarriage and tires thank me, I am sure.

10. I was contacted by a local dental school student who needs patients. Since my needs are out of the ordinary, I will be a good fit. I've had some sort of dentures, bridgework, or device since I shattered my jaw and lost many teeth when I was eighteen. The combination of a woman with few teeth of her own,  who may need new dentures, who has a previously shattered jaw that occasionally gives off bone splinters and who has had so many dental procedures that she cries walking into a dentists office is too big a challenge to ignore. And obviously, it saves me a bunch of money-since we all know dental insurance, especially for seniors, sucks!!

Have you had any frugal maneuvers lately?  Happy Sunday all. Go Virginia!!



20 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder about the car wash under-carriage. In the snow states like where I live that's really important.

    Thanks also for the ideas for the Gals' Group. Mine is adding an afternoon for board games but I'll bet we could do them in a park and enjoy a picnic at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The picnic sounds like fun. I also really, really needed a good vacuum and knew they could do it better than I

      Delete
  2. A couple of my frugal doings this week are that I bought some helium filled Birthday balloons at the Dollar store and I used a coupon for $15.00 on a pet medication that needed to be refilled. Not much but it all adds up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, I rarely think of the dollar store and I should'

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Some days better than others, but I try!

      Delete
  4. Our recent frugal maneuver was to get our senior fare card for SEPTA (Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority) which means we can ride the subway, trains and buses for free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously need to start looking more at senior befits and discounts,

      Delete
  5. Big and small - it all adds up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We dropped our cable service (which also includes internet and phone) to the bare bare minimum. Not ready to give up cable TV yet, but maybe when this contract is up, I might. I have put the brakes on spending large quantities of money on yarn - not entire stopped, but down from needing a huge shopping back to enough for one project. I also am sure that I have a project for anything I buy, and stopped buying on spec. I also don't frequent yarns stories (brick and mortar or on line) saving my reduced spending for Sheep and Wool Fairs only. More bang for my buck because the fairs are so much fun. I am trying to reduce the size of my pantry which has been over flowing because I would buy ahead for sale items - which sounds like a fragile practice, but isn't if you don't use them - they expire and you throw them away. Less clutter - more money saved. That is my brain dump! Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so wish we could drop the cable but we watch so much international sports that snt streamable. I have really lowered my crafting inventory as well. I actually need a big shop tomorrow, empty larder. The only things I bulk buy are sale meats and a few fertilizer items.

      Delete
  7. I got two spring t-shirt type dresses at C&B for $6.99 each...but missed out on the gift certificate, darn it! (Wish they'd thought of me.) Can you pass on the name of the dental school student who needs patients? We always seem to need work...in fact, I'm headed in for two new crowns on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would need to look
      She sent out something on the Littleton WOM page. I'm fairly sure shes in Aurora, where are you exactly.

      Delete
  8. Our frugal move of the year came late last month, when we replaced the living room furniture. I got fed up with the fussy stuff we had, and wanted something indestructible. I found it--used This End Up, Cargo, and Pine Factory furniture from Facebook Marketplace. The sofa, two chairs, an ottoman, and two end tables set us back $210. Getting the old stuff hauled away, paying for help, and a truck to pick it all up ran the cost up, of course, but it was still less than buying a new (they're still in business!) This End Up sofa. We were very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep that in mind. I'm looking to replace to very soft pieces of modern section with something upholstered but firmer and possibly higher. I'd also settle for leather that isnt bonded.

      Delete
  9. Do you have an online nextdoor.com group in your neighborhood? I give away stuff on ours, plus bought one oak cabinet via that group. Giving things away is ideal since in addition to not throwing things away it also means no hiring of someone to cart it away. People came and got my free old portable dishwasher which was working fine, when I had a built in installed. C&B is a favorite store of mine, you got great bargains.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good day !!
    We are Christian Organization formed to help people in need of help,such as
    financial assistance, Do you need a loan to pay your bills? Do you need
    Personal Business Car or Student loans? Need a loan for various other
    purposes? If yes contact us today.
    Please these is for serious minded and God fearing People.
    Email: (jacksonwaltonloancompany@gmail.com)
    Text or call: +1-586-331-5557.
    Address is 68 Fremont Ave Penrose CO, 81240.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!