Monday, April 15, 2019

Facing the Budget as it Is

So as often happens in the budget process there's good news and bad news. 

The good news?  I am no longer subsidizing tuition payments at an expensive college. Six thousand dollars a semester is off my plate. Which is good, because that was really pushing it and I was not meeting some of my other obligations. As far as assistance to offspring, he's lived here for five years, I paid tuition two years, and while I may buy him things now and again and he still lives here as needed, no more. To be clear, he cooks, cleans, contributes works full time and goes to school full time and works very hard. And makes no demands. Ever.

The bad news? You knew there had to be some. I'll be increasing expenses in a couple areas. There will be increased rent and some past due obligations to family that can now be paid. Since I rent from family and do not want to be one of "those" people, I'm increasing my rent as well as obligation payments to family. This will add $300 to the outgoing pot. I'd also like to be able to pay more than my share of other expenses like groceries and such in house, to help my sister be able to actually save some pre-retirement money. She will have no pension or savings other than SS. Not through her own fault as such.

The other biggie is the medical thing. I suspended my $125 a month Federal health insurance to take on zero cost Medical advantage plan. I promised myself that I would put that amount into a separate savings account for future medical expenses. That my friends, has not happened. So that's another change that needs to be adjusted for. I probably will up that to $200 and treat it like my own health savings plan if you will.

After the new budget, my numbers are still really good. If I've done my math. Truthfully, I had not realized how much I was spending on helping kids, between tuition and their times of unemployment. 

To be clear, I don't regret that on some level, because they work very hard study very hard, do things around the house really hard-and hopefully because of that have a good start on life. I don't wish this to turn into an adult kid discussion here. 

But I also believe that the best thing I can do for my kids is to take care of ME, financially, physically and all the rest. So as of today, my financial direction is moving. 

I am not a good financial manager (duh). When my late husband was around he did it. But darn it, that was ten years ago. I can do this. I have to do this. I have things I want to do, and things I need to do.

As such, I want to re look at expenses in the $1200 that is "Barbara's pot of spending", which includes food, eating out, clothes, entertainment and fun (an all encompassing category), personal care, hobbies (in this household that does NOT fall under entertainment), and that "misc" category which includes gifts and other such. There is no charity category as most of my charity is doing and making, which fall under the others. Nor is there a travel category right now, but that will change, at the expense (was that a pum?) of all those other catgories.

My next "Barb's money" post is about the biggie: food. Food out and food in. And how to cut the food in when the primary cook doesn't cook as such (yea, he did all that as well) and wants to eat fairly healthily. Believe me, I look forward to all you have to offer in your wisdom.

Hit me! 

14 comments:

  1. It's always good to keep an eye on discretionary spending in any budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And mine is out of hand, especially if I want to travel for the full month of September and take some summer trips without worrying. Time to trim, category by category. I really wish I lived in a place with decent used clothing stores, part of my expense is that, and in both Virginia and Texas I had a plethora of places with nice consignment stuff at decent prices. Of course, losing weight is also a double edged sword.

      Delete
  2. I suggest you look at the food budget as a whole and then cut into two parts. It was important to me to get an idea of how much we were REALLY spending on food. It turned out to be A LOT. Groceries were reasonable. Dining out was even reasonable. The stops at the grocery for our kids' families, reasonable. Then the stops for coffee, quick lunches and such, part of my entertainment budget, suddenly it all added up to unreasonable.
    It helped me to really see that money. We did not cut groceries. We now have a list and stick to it. We did decide to start the envelope system for eating out again. I purchase gift cards for my common stop off places out of my entertainment money. That helped. And my buying for the kids....that is (almost) at the end.
    Good luck. I have confidence in you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that. I have thought about the cash system But these days I am doing pickup from the list...which has helped save money.i have thought about trying discount cards for dining out. I may have to do some real cash envies. I've actually been looking at cash category wallets to assist with this!

      Delete
  3. I'm terrible when it comes to budgeting for food. I just don't do it so I'll be particularly interested in your next post. I do know I need to plan better so I don't waste so much food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was completely single and living alone I cooked in bulk and froze in individual containers in order to resolve that issue-I even had some of those roun tuperware divided containers and I froze complete meals and heated them. Now there's not so much waste as two of us eat leftovers for lunch when home. The struggle still exists, though.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on cutting your health insurance and copay costs! That is such a potentially big one. Regarding clothing, I also haven't found any good secondhand clothing stores in the area where we moved. Right now I am playing with a seasonal wardrobe plan including purchasing priorities to manage that category.

    It can be a challenge to decide how finely to divide up your spending categories but highly educational to break it out. We have now a food category that includes groceries, toiletries, cleaning and household paper goods, and alcohol but I tracked each of those separately for a year to see what we were spending. We also have an eating out category and family meals out to track what we treat others to. Before moving closer to family it was just an eating out category. I also track clothing, haircuts, hobbies, entertainment, massages, gym/yoga, book purchases and travel separately. It really doesn't take much time once you set up a system. I just use an excel spreadsheet I created. If I was needing to ensure that I didn't go over a certain amount for a category I would create and actual or virtual envelope system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also working with a season plan, its just that with colorado weather it needs to be two seasons twice a year more realistically or putting it all together. Im not sure if that means 66 pieces or maybe 45 or so (half again), we'll see. I think my food categorie will include household but not personal care items. I have eating out with entertainment now and I may keep that seperate. I'm not so much worried about goiong over as such as knowing the amounts and having a guideline for the future. I have actually been looking at "cash system wallets" that have multiple cash pockets for varios categories, but truthfully I mainly use a card. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love using cash so I guess it is the monthly envelope system for food, entertainment, etc. I have done this for years. I do not specifically have separate categories, just hat I have each month to sp nd and when it is gone.....that’s it til next month. Some months are heavy in certain categories but I find it balances out. Prior to each season, mainly summer and winter I find are the clothing months where I spend money to update my clothes and see what I need or to replace. Any money not spent for the month gets taken out of the rotation and kept for anything that comes up later. I do have a separate envelop/ m y kept aside for family meals that I pay for.
    I find that tracking too many categories really is time consuming and gets on my nerves! Good we are all different in what works for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont think I would ever work to have cash for me (I know friends who love it as well). I do too much shopping online and now I'm doing order and pickup at both King Soopers and Walmart.I dont actually divide money as such but I do track afterwards for planning for the next year.

      Delete
  7. We just did a cash envelope for groceries and household items. It was a GREAT learning tool for my kidults (we all live together with 2 young grandsons). We all like to cook altho no one seems to like leftovers as well as I do. Still working on eating produce before it wilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I hae to cook, lol. I think my adult sun is both a much better cook and much better grocer shopper than I although hes not often available to do this/ We've broken down to cut fruit and bagged salad so we dont waste..

      Delete
  8. We seem to be tweaking our budget quite often lately. Things always seem to be going up and nothing really going down.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good day !!
    We are Christian Organization formed to help people in need of help,such as
    financial assistance, Do you need a loan to pay your bills? Do you need
    Personal Business Car or Student loans? Need a loan for various other
    purposes? If yes contact us today.
    Please these is for serious minded and God fearing People.
    Email: (jacksonwaltonloancompany@gmail.com)
    Text or call: +1-586-331-5557.
    Address is 68 Fremont Ave Penrose CO, 81240.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!