Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Easily Amused!




I'm one of those folks who still (gasp!) has cable. In spite of regular comments and emails both suggesting I cut the cord and asking why I haven't I remain a devotee. Until you can stream ALL sports including overseas sports live, I'll be in said system. With the bundle. The cable bundle remains a dedicated budget line item-and yes, it's my biggest non rent regular bill. By far.

Yesterday, I had a visit from the trusty cable guy.

Some of you may remember in a past "five frugal things" post that I mentioned working out a deal to lower my cable bill-by 70 dollars. As a part of that deal, I also got an increase in Internet speed to a gig. I could have also gotten door and window security sensors but around this house, with three different schedules, the security system would be on about five hours. We'll look at something more sensible, like perhaps a Ring and then sensors on the very back windows.

Anyhoo, the cable guy. He hooked up a new modem. He also gave the other two TVs that are not in the main room new boxes. The best part however, was that he gave us "talking" remotes. Now, if you have had one of these for awhile, you probably don't see what the big deal is. And if you don't know-put simply, you just tell the remote where you want to go. Or who you want to watch. Or what you want to listen to. You can say "Bette Davis" and it will pull up every Bette Davis movie on the screen-live, recorded or on demand. You can say, "find me a comedy" and it will give you all kinds of options. The list goes on. 

All you do is push that blue button and talk!


in the words of my son "Oh, my God, I have a new toy!". Eventually, obviously the newness will wear off, but let me tell you, right now that baby is getting a workout. By all three of us. Technology, it can be a joy. Or a toy.

As if that wasn't enough, I've been wearing my Fitbit at night in order to track my sleep. My goal is between seven and nine hours, aiming for the higher number, and most days I succeed. Each morning when I go to the app, as well as telling me the basics (my much total sleep, how much time awake, how much time REM sleep and so on), it gives a nugget of advice.

On Sunday I woke up, and as well as sharing all the statistics, the little app ad a kernel of wisdom. It said "alcohol can affect sleep and increase restlessness". Which wouldn't mean much. Except that the evening before I had had a small glass of white wine, the first alcohol I had drunk since my mini sip of Christmas champagne.

So seriously. Did the wine change my heart rate. Does the ever lovin' Fitbit have a sensor for chemicals?  Does Big Brother live?  Or is it simply a casual coincidence?

Inquiring minds want to know. Or maybe not.

13 comments:

  1. I am so addicted to my Fitbit sleep monitor it isn't funny. But mine is not the latest model and doesn't have the nugget of advice. It already seriously mystifies me with how it knows what it knows.

    I still have cable, too. I don't think my TVs are smart enough to stream...or maybe it's me that isn't so I have not been tempted to go through the learning curve to cut the cord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A woman after my own heart, I keep my cable for the sports as well. Love the idea of talking to my remote, does it respond if you can't find it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No such luck I expect. But we are pretty good about putting them their designated basket. Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cut the cable years ago but the price of internet alone from Xfinity (Comcast) is still outrageous. With YouTube, Amazon Prime, Netflix and other shows available on the internet, I don't miss cable at all. For sports, all I watch is football and not even a lot of that... just my state's team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's true for lots of people. We watch all us sports, Eoropean soccer and the list goes on so it's real value for us.

      Delete
  5. I am saving points for a Fitbit, but I don't know if I want it to know that much about my life.

    We still have cable (actually satellite) and a box as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, Jackie I dont think the thing is that sophisticated. I'm truly sure it was a fluke.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we have Xfinity and got the talk remote a few months ago. It's a nifty little gadget for sure. But we do plan on cutting the cable cord when our contract with Comcast expires in a about 18 momths.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I discovered I can ask google a question on my Android. It is fascinating that it can understand and spell! I just have an antenna, free programs for me. I have no need for any sports. My internet was hooked up today, and Spectrum tried several times to get me to bundle cell and tv. I really would love to have a remote I could talk to because then I would not have to try to find it...lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!