Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Balancing......Breakfast on Broadway

So, as I promised some of you, I wanted to talk about my balance/no fall class that I mentioned previously. When I first got to the classroom and found out the first two weeks were mainly about just talking (and watching a movie), I had hesitated to stay. I thought it was mainly exercises. But I had promised my daughter.

And after the second week I'm glad I stayed. While the first week was a lot of paperwork and organization, we also got to meet everyone and find out why they were in this eight week program. The ages vary and our reasons were different. One is a 60 year old gal who had a knee replacement and is not walking evenly (and doesn't want to go under the knife again) and her husband is there to support her. There are guys and gals who have fallen. A 72 year old woman who had both her knees replaced at the same time (they did an epidural and wanted to give her just one). And there is me, who has fallen once down the front steps, fallen once on a local outdoor mall street (although we now know that was as much about the uneven payment as anything else). and who is nervous about falling again-but not about to stay home because of it. 




This week's exercise was about our thoughts and concerns how realistic they were, and how we would address verious real life situations. For example a friend who has front steps and no railing invites us  over, we can't walk because the roads are slippery, and a host of other issues. I've already handled the first case. I have an every other week bible class at the home of a couple who have made their garage entrance friendly but not the front porch which has about six very wide steps with no railing. I simply call before I am coming and Bob comes out and gives me his arm. When I leave, he goes down the step in front of me and I place my hand on his shoulder. Almost all of us in the class are unwilling to stop being active, but we want to be careful. We also talked about discussing falling and aging in general with our kids. I was surprised to see that some were concerned adult kids might want to limit activity, because my kids are all about my going and doing and being independent. Anyway, it was a very interesting two hours.

The next few weeks are more about movement including fall prevention exercising (apparently one nurse can make herself fall on cue), being willing to ask for help, being willing to accept help (for example, my washer cannot be moved upstairs, so I can go up and down but not with laundry. I require help with that, and I ask for it). Other classes are about habits that can make you fall (I tend to look down when I get out of a chair as I push myself out of it, which is the original reason my daughter wanted me to take this class, and it's a habit I need to change), making the house safer as far as things on high shelves, and a bunch of other things. At this point I'm happy I made the commitment, if not for now, for in the future.

We also talk about getting stronger so that we can get up or grab if we fall. As as many of you know I do fifteen minutes of arm strengthening daily and the same with my legs. I'm sure there will be much to learn and share. 




Since another one of my gals group is also in my class, we went out for lunch.....err....breakfast afterward. If I have to be somewhere and leave my house by nine thirty, I''m probably not eating breakfast. And if I don't get breakfast food at breakfast, then I need it somewhere else throughout the day!  I figured we should try a place that was always packed on the weekends. So off we went to-you guessed it-Breakfast on Broadway. A place that advertises breakfast, lunch and Bloody Marys.  We stuck with the breakfast and no bar, and I ended up with french toast with eggs and sausage and my friend had an extremely large breakfast burrito.  A little pricey but delicious in the extreme. Next time I'm up for the Cointreau cream cheese stuffed french toast or the Hawaiian Benedict. I am nothing if not adventurous when it comes to food.

t
Time for an obligitory dog picture. See that little squirrel head on top of the wood fence on the other side of my metal fence? He (or she) knows darn well that the coon dog can look and climb and bark to no avail and takes great pleasure in the torment, The two of them must have been like that for at least 45 minutes.


Needless to say the rest of my day was spent walking off said lunch, getting groceries in advance of the next cyclone blizzard or whatever it will be called, and enjoy the 78 degree day, or the calm before the storm.

16 comments:

  1. Oh, that’s a biggie — to ask for help — so important as expressing needs and sharing with others what they can do. So many want to help but don’t know how or what to do. I found this to be true for those with hearing loss, various communication difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and when people tend to ofer their arms aand stuff (even my family) I tend to say "No, I can do it" and I realize I'll do much better if I need help and i may even be hurting their feelings by not accepting some time.

      Delete
  2. That's a health department class, isn't it. I've taken it here and it's worth the time. Although when we did the evaluation at the end we all said we thought it could be cut down to 6 weeks instead of 8.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, honestly, it was offered through our Librarary Senior program but it very well may be.

      Delete
  3. I've heard good things about that class which is also offered in the community where I live. When I lived in Atlanta the sidewalks were a mess and I read somewhere that one of the great causes of falls if people looking down right in front of their feet as they walk. It changes your center of gravity and makes you more likely to fall. Our brain can manage standing up straight and looking ahead as we walk lol. If we reach a really bad spot then we can look down and walk very carefully. Still I fell badly on some black ice once. The point about being strong enough to get up is a very good one too.

    Squirrels do love to torment dogs - and cats. Long ago I had a cat who spent each morning running under a power line while 2 squirrels ran back and forth on the line! Now we wouldn't let a cat out but then we did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's why I dont walk outside on my local paths any more. After my two falls I was looking more at the ground than ahead of me, even with my cane -so I get my fresh air other ways and spend a little gas to walk in the mall. Yes,the squirrels love tormenting my poor dog. You can almost hear them cackling!

      Delete
  4. My little dog is so interested in squirrels and also in large crows. The no fall class sounds like a great class to attend. I did get rid of the pretty throw rugs I had, they are a big no-no for senior citizens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately the only throw rug is the mat in my bathroom and I am VERY careful getting in and out of the shower and it is non stick. I thought about gettign one next to my bed but then I decide if I did it would need to be like a four by six at least and I would want to put the night stand or something on top so it did not slip.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great class and an excellent breakfast/brunch place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ill def be going again to the breakfast place!!

      Delete
  6. That's interesting about not looking down when you walk. I always thought that would be better. The only time I've fallen was walking down a sidewalk in the summer. No idea what happened, but I broke my arm. Made me nervous about walking for quite awhile. I would like to know how to fall.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, as Juhli says above it changes you center of gravity and makes you more like to pitch forward if you fall. I use a cane, look ahead rather than down and make sure I lift my feet. But for exercise walking g I go inside.

      Delete
  7. One thing I don't hear is getting your confidence back after a fall. I found that it took time to regain confidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that as such we haven't talked about that but as we discuss preventing falls through different methods as well as how to handle it when we trip I'm hoping well feel more confident.

      Delete
  8. Asking for help is something I don't do very often. Must learn to do so more.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good day !!
    We are Christian Organization formed to help people in need of help,such as
    financial assistance, Do you need a loan to pay your bills? Do you need
    Personal Business Car or Student loans? Need a loan for various other
    purposes? If yes contact us today.
    Please these is for serious minded and God fearing People.
    Email: (jacksonwaltonloancompany@gmail.com)
    Text or call: +1-586-331-5557.
    Address is 68 Fremont Ave Penrose CO, 81240.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!