Saturday, March 2, 2019

The February That Was, and the March That's Here

So, I apologize, but I have not been on the ball on commenting the past week or so. Starting this week I should be back in the flow. Meanwhile, there went February!! Another month bites the dust, even Colorado is experiencing the the chill this weekend, and another month has begun.

So, since I've been a very off and on again blogger this month (mainly due to birthdays and other events) a quick wrap up, frugal and otherwise, of this February in retirement:

Before I get on to the goals though, first let me say that I've been eating REALLY well (to say the least)! Four birthdays in as many weeks, a very full afternoon tea, breakfast at the original pancake house, various happy hours and one afternoon at Smokin Fins (hello lobster stuffed deviled eggs) have put me seriously on the over indulgence train-which isn't over. We still have Monday night birthday dinner at the Post, and a dinner out and a dinner cooked at home by my brother next weekend. After that I'll try to get back on the healthy wagon at least for awhile before Easter. Having a weekly Lenten dinner with soup, salad and my bread at church will help. Oh, and I forgot about that lunch at the Buckhorn. I did not go over my entertainment/dining out budget which is pretty generous these days though (see below). Mainly because we do a lot of lunches, my sister in law refused to accept payment for the lunch outing and there have been no movies or concerts that are calling me as such.

Second, I am thrilled to say that my son got another grant, so I am no longer the keeper of the tuition bill! In the next week I plan to make a budget based on what I have left after after monthly regular bills, all the ones that automatically disappear from the account. While I'll share those, I see none of those changing drastically any time soon, although some time in the spring I'll do a quick comparison estimate on my insurances and such. Instead I'll make a spending budget on the balance of what's left.

And third, in a couple bits of serendipity, I've gotten three sweaters that were sixty plus dollars originally for less than ten bucks each in the past few days, alone with two necklaces and five pairs of earrings for pennies. A super duper haul even for me. Post about this coming!!

Now as for those February goals (see bar above)


  • I'm pleased to say that I came in at $360 for groceries, but in all fairness it was a short month and I did a big shop in January (and my increased eating out is taking up the difference).
  • I have not been exercising out of the house two days a week, although I have been mall walking at least once a week. I have however been doing a half an hour of strength training daily, and walking as close to 30 minutes in total as I can. 
  • I've been doing much better with being device-less and having an hour to an hour and a half of downtime before sleep. I'm finding that if I get in bed, turn down the lights, journal or read and listen to music in bed for the first hour, then when I turn off the light and turn on my sleep music, I am ready to go.
  • As far as getting caught up on the house....eh. Now that I'm not paying tuition, April may be time to return to the every other week cleaning help.
  • I did do  my Valentine crafts. I did not finish either a quilting or knitting project, although in my defense this was a heavy reading month. Next month will be a TV month and I anticipate some serious knitting and sketching going one
  • Birthday purchases are done, although the celebrations are not. I'll share what I did for birthdays after the final day is over.
  • Only one "exploring the local" day, but that was with out of town guests and it took more than half a day.
  • For now we won't talk about my online time, although beginning the first, I started tracking it
  • I did completely plan a train trip to Chicago, with everything except the dates. Once I figure out the dates of all the offspring, then I can plan my own time. I did offer to take my son to Chicago for a graduation trip but he would rather choose a different trip at a different time.
Now, those March goals  and plans........coming soon.

1 comment:

  1. I did not finish a couple of my goals for last month and so they are moved to this month. One thing about being retired, you can always move things around.

    I set myself a challenge in February to clean up and get the two shelves in the fridge freezer neat and tidy. Really didn't do that bad a job of it.

    This month my challenge is to try and get the chest freezer eaten down and organized. This is a bigger one, but I am hoping to accomplish it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!