Monday, January 14, 2019

Monday Morning Contemplations

Saturday we went to High Tea at the Brown Palace here in Denver. The tea was lovely, the ambiance and piano playing equally good, and the decor was still in Christmas mode. There is a stock show in Denver every year and because there are so many folks in town post Christmas, the hotels remains in Holiday mode until the end of January.  

Nevertheless, next year I'll try to reserve far enough in advance to get there through the pre-Christmas holidays. 








I tried to get some good pictures while sitting and sipping tea, but getting a photo of the huge chandelier was almost impossible, even after elevator-ing to the second floor.

Today I am wondering and contemplating: 

1. Why is it that, healthy as oatmeal is, I am ALWAYS hungry a couple hours later, as it seems, are many of my Facebook friends? I try and alternate oatmeal with flax seeds, egg and whole wheat English muffins and the occasional whole wheat waffle or other alternative. Oatmeal is the only thing that has me craving a snack two hours later or sometimes earlier.

2. I've decided that there are two kinds of people in this world. Those of us who prefer quiet, and those who need the background noise of a turned on TV, music or other thing to keep them company. Neither is wrong, and I am definitely among the former. While I've been known to occasionally turn on music when I craft or create, I read-and often knit-in silence. I've tried to do the audio book thing on occasion while doing other things-and in my case at least, have learned I can concentrate on one or the other, not both.

3. I don't get Marie Kondo (don't judge me, don't judge me). But then I really didn't get Fly lady except for that weekly area cleanup thing. I'm a stuff person, not a minimalist. I don't necessarily believe less is more, especially when it comes to organization and efficiency (I have pens, scissors, chap stick and paper in every room so I don't have to go searching). More importantly, I don't think they put enough accent on the proper methods of getting rid of what you have (hello landfills full of clothes with tags and thrift stores not accepting more stuff). And honestly, I think the folding clothes thing? You love it or you hate it. I like the traditional folding method.

4. There is casual and there is casual. I have both friends and fellow bloggers who mourn the demise of getting dressed up or "dressed for the occasion". One friend still get dressed in dressy dresses, pantyhose and heels when she goes out to dinner with her husband. I tend to be more of a "business casual, softened" type of girl. Black knitted pants and leggings, bright tops and sweaters with cardigans, matching jewelry and sketchers flats on the high end, and sweats, jeans or casual leggings on the low end. I wore black pants and booties, a pink tunic sweater and matching jewelry to the tea. There were others in camel coats and dresses and heels. Unfortunately there were also others with overalls and ripped jeans (a planned look it would seem, as underneath said ripped jeans were leggings or tights). Too casual for me. But then again, perhaps those gals with the heels and hats thought I was too casual..??!??

5. One of my goals is to repurpose one thing a week, as opposed to disposing to the landfill or elsewhere. This week I am learning how to cut my too big t-shirts (yes, even if you like loose clothing there is a time when they become too big) into.....wait for it.......t-shirt yarn. To be turned into fun stuff, incluuding jewelry, baskets and things. And perhaps I'll even use said yarn on the new mini loom I got for Christmas! 



6.  And finally, after saying I didn't need a word for a year, I may have kinda sorta found one. That word being Deeper, after reading a variety of articles, including this one. While I won't be giving up traveling, or not shopping as such, my goal is to more deeply discover and use the things I have, the skills I have and so on. How does this fit with my goal to learn three new skills? Not sure yet!

17 comments:

  1. Boy, I'm SO glad you brought up Marie Kondo. So many people have sung her praises and encouraged me to try her method of closet purging that I bought the summary of her book at Amazon and I've been hating every word I've been reading. The causal way she says to just put things in "the garbage" actually makes me angry. Re-purpose, recycle, donate doesn't seem to be in her vocabulary. And her obsession with folding clothes...all I can see is an increase in having to iron before you go anywhere. I just don't get why see is so popular, but I keep reading hoping to understand my fellow want-a-be purgers.

    High tea looks like a lot of fun. We have a town 70 miles away that does them and I'd like to go sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am no a serious luger just a mild purge, lol. I think ya love her or you hate her

      Delete
  2. I'll have to look up the High Tea/the Brown Mansion if I ever get to Denver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the re-purpose one thing a week as a creativity challenge and look forward to seeing what you make with the t-shirt yarn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im actually thinking the first thing will be a basket. Unless I loom with it on my new mini loom.

      Delete
  4. I think Marie Kondo is extremely misunderstood. In no way is she endorsing minimalism, rather she is encouraging people to only retain that which brings them joy, and to let go of the things that actually drag them down. And the folding thing is simply to stack things in such a way that you can see what you own. It's amazing what the later does in curbing my impulse to shop, I will say. Anyhow, as one who keeps a very clutter-free home, I love her, but completely understand those that don't. ;-)

    The tea looks like it was absolutely lovely, and there are few things I love more than a slow, elegant tea. They aren't cheap either, so I definitely put on a little more sass when attending, but more for my benefit than anyone elses.

    We are heading to snow tomorrow, so no fancy duds in my future until we return. Snow makes me want to curl up in leggings and sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ripped jeans hit a nerve with me. I know that some people actually spend a lot of money to buy them but I find them insulting. I can never figure out what kind of message people who wear them think they're giving. I always think of my mother who worked so hard to make sure we never wore "ripped" anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the look as such any more than I minded the ripped shoulder look that "upscaled" into a cold shoulder. I remember my own fashion rebellions. I just think there should be a tiny bit of appropriateness to the occasion I guess??

      Delete
  6. Wow, that chandelier! What an amazing place for tea, very classy. I have found the Marie Kondo programmes interesting and they've made me want to tidy my cupboards as I'm not the best at that, but my overwhelming feeling watching them was 'how did those people get so much stuff?'!
    I am very much a person who doesn't particularly like background noise, my husband is the opposite, loves to have music on (and we don't share the same taste in music!) so there has been quite a bit of compromise since we both retired and are home together more.
    Pleased to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by. I live with someone who gets up, turns on the tv for background noise while sipping coffee. Which is why we eliminated our dining room (we have an eat in kitchen that can serve six) and on one side of the kitchen have the quiet living g space and on the other side the tv and music space, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been to High Tea at the Brown Palace -- it IS wonderful, if a bit pricey. They start taking reservations for the holidays on Oct. 1; that's your best chance to get a good spot, if you call on that day. Or soon after.

    Did you ever see Messy, Thrilling Life's crocheted t-shirt rug?
    http://messythrillinglife.blogspot.com/2009/09/waste-not-want-not-rug-for-millie.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you for that link! We dont need rugs in this house, even for dogs but I love how that looks! Im going to start thrift shopping for more ts as I am not a tshirt person as such and am not sure the silky ones will do so well.

      We did very much enjoy the BP. I'm in littleton and most of our teas in this area are close to that price!!

      Delete
  9. The tea decorations and venue look absolutely beautiful. And, while I'm not an absolute minimalist, I do see value in only obtaining, keeping things that give one calm and joy. Personally, letting go of a lot of stuff I thought I "had to" have has contributed to a feeling of calm for me.
    Less stuff means less they own you.
    But I think this is a personal journey. And I also think the minimalist message has been warped and misconstrued at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand that message and it works for some. I am not a hoarder but I am a stuff person. But my main concern is not her message of "letting go" as such. It's the fact that letting go ends up sending clothes to Goodwill, where they end in a foreign country, and eventually in the land fill instead of taking the time to a. see if things can be used and repurposed, and b. sending things from your home to a truly useful place instead of just "out" or "gone".

      Delete
  10. I would love to have tea in that tea room. You have chosen just the right word for you this year. I watched a couple episodes of the Marie Kondo show and find her adorable, but won't be following her methods in my house. Some of her tips are good, I like how she wakes up books by tapping them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!