Thursday, January 31, 2019

January wrap up

Wow. Here we are. On the one hand, winter has really been here. On the other hand, it has left a day later. And I can take 20 degrees one day if it's fifty the next five. I am very grateful right about now that I don't live in Michigan, or Chicago, or New York, or heck, probably even Washington DC right this very week. With apologies to all my readers.

So what all happened this past month? On the social front, it's been a good month. I've gone to regular happy hours and lunches/brunches with my gals group, done the knitting and happy hour thing every week, went to a book group, went to a friend's house to make jewelry and participated in two family dinners. One was a football play off event with Lox, Bagels, Cream cheese, scrambled eggs and donuts. The other was a " let's go through some of the family memorabilia and deal with it thing", and I had Egyptian food for the first time.

Oh and yesterday at happy hour with my knitting group, someone suggested we consider doing some traveling together. Small trips like to Santa Fe, and even further. I mentioned my planned trip to Chicago in June, and we could have a new group in the works. Who knows?

On the health front, I was not as successful as I had hoped. Mainly because, well, I fell and couldn't walk for a week and then could barely walk for the second week. I have continued my seated strength workout (see my health goals in the sidebar above), started taking CoQ10 and Glucosomine/Condroiten, and did find a Tai Chi for seniors and modified yoga class. I should be able to participate by next week. Why is it that the recovery is always many times longer than the actual injury and immediate aftermath?

Money-wise, I hope to have the groceries close to 70 dollars per week soon (again, see 2019 goals above). Since I had that "clean out the freezer and fridge thing" before the holidays, part of my grocery strategy is still restocking. I did make a monthly list of upcoming events and expenses for the year (obviously a moving target), and I did repurpose two things.

I also did one of those "sign up for our checking account and get 300 bucks" things. While I don't recommend this any more than the changing your prescriptio every two months thing as a rule, I had some good reasons on this one. My current bank (since like 2000 or so) is USAA. I LOVE USAA. But they don't have a real branch. If I want alot of cash I up my own limit and go from machine to machine, and do everything else on my phone. So I now have a local bank and branch. Also, I wanted to split my funds. I'll keep my social security in one, and everything else in the other. So not only have I done something I've been meaning to forwhile, but I'll get $300 to go straight into the summer vacation fund. I can live with tht.

When it comes to the house and family front, as mentioned previously on the blog, I am far behind in the organization phase. I did purchase some large bins today for corralling and have been making small steps, limping as I go. Both offspring have birthdays in February so this month I did not specifically worry about helping or doing small things-they'll get big things next month!

While that's as far as the I made it on the goal front, I have also read seven novels (see book list up top), watched Black Earth Rising which was fantastic and about which I cannot say enough, and Maniac (meh). I also, I am ashamed to say, have watched a few episodes of the show Behind the Mask, including watching the unmasking of Margaret Cho and Terry Bradshaw.  I'm convinced the bumblebee is Gladys Knight. And on the project plan front, I finished a quilt, am working on another, and have started a pastel triangle shawl scarf just for me.

Plans for February? I'll get right on those!


14 comments:

  1. Funny, we are slowly moving our funds from USAA. I love their ease of use, but their interest rates are so low, they are underground. We held on for a long time---but are moving to Navy Federal. Sadly. We have been with USAA since 1984!
    How fun that your group is considering traveling together. Fantastic!
    Getting your groceries that low---HURRAY! You beat us by a long shot!
    We are looking forward to a warmer February, but it probably won't happen. My food bill is through the roof with the Shelters already running out of stuff. I won a gift card last month and spent it today on fruits and breakfast sandwiches.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had already changed my insurance because both Geico and Progressive beat USAA and I have been thrilled to date with Progressive's customer service (having broking down on the road and had to use their towing service). To be fair, my food bill counts as charity for donations, and there has not been alot of "stock up stuff" on the front pages of my local flyers...

      Delete
  2. Your January sounds fulfilling and productive, except for that nasty fall which limited your walking. I had a root canal done today, the last day of January, not a fun ending to the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, not a fun experience at all, I expect!!

      Delete
  3. You sure know how to keep busy! I had big plans for January but all I've managed to do here in frozen Michigan is purge a closet, knit a sweater and shovel snow and more snow and more snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you knit a sweater you've probably done much more than i..........I do not envy you the snow though, not at all.

      Delete
  4. Here's my update: after being inspired by your plan to reduce grocery costs, I spent $217 this January compared to $430 last January (Can $) I did it by reducing my "just in case" items, only buying the quantity of things I needed, replacing fresh fruit and beg with frozen, and not buying luxury items which I didn't really need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. As I said to Janette above, in all fairness there have not been alot of stuck up stuff to fill my freezer the past few weeks flyer wise. A couple of those, and I may be much higher. Plus two birthday dinners this week. I'm going to start a weekly menu share to tell folks what we ate ect on this budget.

      Delete
  5. I just finished, "The Man Who Came Uptown" by George Pelecanos. You might like it. He normally writes hard-boiled mysteries -- this one is a little different, but I loved it. Books and their power to restore is one of the themes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did very well on your January goals. Hey I am still healing from my broken wrist that happened almost a year ago.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to mention I think my quilt finish is going to be a great many months from now.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear that. Healing takes a long time.

      Delete
  8. I'm so sorry about your fall! But it does seem like you are getting back on track. And I know from personal experience that the organization thing happens in little steps, otherwise it can just seem overwhelming.
    Now that I have a little time I am thinking of beginning to knit again. My mother taught me as a girl but I have not done a project for many years...I'm hoping for the calm it can bring.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!