Saturday, December 1, 2018

The December List

Today is December first. This is the time I slow down, put aside unfinished project and prepare myself to enjoy the season.  

You may remember this post, mid-November, filled with long Christmas plans and to-do's. That, my friends was then and I did in fact get a fair amount of stuff done during the last three weeks. We are now fully into the Christmas season though (tomorrow being the first Sunday of Advent) and I am ready to enjoy, rather than do for the most part. Unfinished gifts and projects have been put away except for those relaxing things I work on because I can when I have time. Christmas decorating is finished, even if not everything has been put out. The Amazon shopping list is finished * and ready to go whenever I put that trusty I-click button. Generally, anything unfinished gift wise, decoration wise, shopping wise and even cleaning wise has been put to the side unless it is part of the regular routine.

For the rest of the month? Relaxing and fun stuff is mainly on my "to-do list" for the coming weeks:

1.  I've kept social commitments to a minimum, but I am still looking forward to two luncheons, a holiday afternoon tea, a holiday movie outing (to go and see the Clint Eastwood move) and a trip to the Christmas market with snacks afterward. I really am a less is more person when it comes to holiday socialization that is not family or church associated. 




2.  Bake. Bake the cookies in the other post. Remember, I love baking. Baking is my jam. I only do it at Christmas because I eat when I'm baking. But bake, bake, and bake some more. While listening to Christmas music and/or watching that adorable video on cable of all the Christmas puppies playing among the packages.

3. Make a "twelve gifts of Christmas" basket for each kid, to be opened between Christmas and the sixth of January. For the record, Christmas begins on Christmas day. Just sayin'. My kids have set a fifty dollar limit of gifts for Christmas max, and they expect me to hold to that as well. This is a way I can give them a couple extra things without "breaking the rules" or "making them feel bad". Their words not mine. I'll also probably take all three of us out for pedicures in Dallas. The boy thing is always harder, just as for stockings, but so far I have a small man cave sign, Zippo hand warmers, beer chillers and beer bottle stops, and the requisite very small gift cards and candy.

4. Spend a lot of evenings at home (with cookies and hot chocolate) snuggled on the couch watching Christmas movies, and programs. Yes, Die Hard is a Christmas movie. Love Actually, on the other hand? Very much not a Christmas movie. 



5. Do something with the family left behind. Normally we do New Year's Day as our belated little holiday time, but someone suggested having a Christmas wrapping and cookie party the day before we leave. One or the other, but  never at my house so no real planning, just enjoying.

6. Try to get my sister to come to Texas. Her business is closed between Christmas and New Years, so she would just need to take off three working days. Life would be crowded, and I would owe my son in law, as it would be seven dogs** and five adults (she and I would need to share a king sized bed for four days or sleep on the sofa), but a good time would be had by all.

7.  In the spirit of the holidays, do my quarterly physical volunteering gig this week. Our church is a family promise host, and I am the meals coordinator. For those who remember my previous weekly volunteering gigs, this is huge change for me. It's just four weeks a year, and as I coordinator I simply organize who is making what and drop by the church (a mile from me) for a couple hours each night to see what is going on.

Other than that? I plan to relax and enjoy the month until we head down south. Lots of chilling and family. Thinking on goals for 2019 now and then. And forcing myself to get as many steps in as often as I can. Because, well, Christmas cookies!!

* In theory, my Christmas shopping is done. Only someone shared this particular subscription box option with me a couple days ago. And since I have a family member who reads the classics and loves coffee, one or two  monthly gift boxes may be in order. Each box comes with a classic book, a specialty flavored coffee (or tea or hot chocolate) a snack of some sort, a mug and some book related thing like a bookmark. 



** My daughter has two dogs, but she also fosters. As of now she will have three fosters plus her own two on Christmas. Never mind the fact that I have one, and my sister has one. so we will have our own little dog park in the back yard!!



7 comments:

  1. All that Christmas cookie baking wears me out just reading about it. I wish I lived near enough to come over for cookies and coffee, though. I haven't had a home baked cookie in years. I'm more of a scones person and will bake them this year.

    Have fun carrying out your plans to enjoy the rest of the month. Sounds wonderful. Have you decided, yet, the direction you're going to take your blog?

    I was surprised that you call 'Die Hard' a Christmas movie but not 'Love Actually'. To me they either both are because they're set during the holidays or they both aren't because Christmas itself isn't particularly important in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I consider Die Hard one of my favorite Christmas movies and watch it every year. Along with a Christmas Story, Holiday inn/White Christmas, Rudolph the Red Nosed Raindeer. and any one of a couple other classics, depending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a very fun list I think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right, it is time to begin baking. Starting Monday the baking and candy making begins around here. I am still doing a couple of Christmas sewing items though they should only take about 30 mins to finish. I am also making myself a couple of new winter knit tops.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, You've just inspired me to start my Christmas cooking baking too and I'm going to try baking the lime cookies you mentioned in a previous blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your sister goes with you! I'd love to see the dog party :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My holiday celebrations started in Nov when my son and granddaughters joined me at Tom Jackson's Huron Carole, part of my Christmas tradition. This past w/e, I went to the local dinner theatre with cousins. In preparation for the house guests, I put some holiday decorations out before Dec 1. Christmas music played before the usual Dec 1 as well when the Home Routes artist and I reviewed our favorite seasonal music. Most of the Christmas gifts are in the tickle trunk. These days, gifting is concentrated on the kids vs the adults. I'm thinking of one your blogs from the past, Barb - something to read, something to wear, something to ? I can't recall the third one. The 10 inches of snow that fell yesterday will set the mood for holiday baking/cooking today - lemoncello cookies, toffee tarts, antipasto and sugar cookies for the kids to decorate. A date has been made with neighbors to get our Christmas trees from the bush. There's a B&B night planned with friends for dinner, games & a twinkle tour and one more local carol cantata. And that all adds up to a great holiday season for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!