Friday, December 7, 2018

Asking the Readers-and Five Frugal Things

The past couple weeks my frugal attention has been mainly on trying to combat waste. I tend to  pat myself on the back on occasion when it comes to lack of waste in some areas, but there are other areas here at Chez Barb where we are sorely lacking in waste control-which affects our money and more. Also, I really want to do up my "in home recycling"  In the past few weeks we have been doing some decluttering, and the recycling stuff has been on my mind:

1. I've decided to start freezing things as they come out of the oven and slow cooker for second meals. I generally use a large slow cooker or casserole, and I have started cooking casseroles in two eight inch square pans rather than one big pan and such so I can freeze one. Occasionally it means being creative at lunch time (hello scrambled eggs!) but it eliminates that weekly trip to the back of the fridge where there are five containers each with a half an inch of soup or half a chicken breast and sauce that end up in the trash. 

2. I've done my damnedest to keep the heat at 72 instead of going higher, and 66 at night, even last week when the temps have been in the teens.This may not seem like much to many of my readers, but I generally am a "just turn that thing up to 74 already" person. This is as much a "lets not waste resources" move as it is a money saving one. Unfortunately when it comes to water, I am still the "I can take a shower every other day in the winter because I have short hair, but give me ten minutes" kind of gal.

3. I went through all the clothes that my son and I were ready to throw out, a huge majority of which were due to size rather than their old and falling apart status. I especially cut out and saved all the denim from the jeans, and the large pieces of cotton and shirting from his 2XLT shirts, which can be used for a variety of projects as long as something else. Then I grabbed all the single earrings (I don't have expensive jewelry because, well, I lose it) to see if I can create a new things from the old. I'm still looking for actual people to donate other things to, instead of just goodwill.

 If I can't use these fabric things, they'll go, but I envision denim coasters and hot pads for gifts and sale, a shirting summer quilt for my son, and lots and lots of napkins (we use non matching napkins most of the time, so that we know whose is whose) for starters.

4. In my trusty, all knowing notebook, I've made a page for each month with all the events and expected expenses for each month, as well as expected trips and overnights (more on those later). I'll adjust the budget for those items soon, and start putting money aside and/or planning for said purchases and travel.

5. In direct relationship to #3,  I've decided to rethink the selling what I make thing from a different perspective. I've been enjoying making both traditional and non-traditional creations, including all the upcycling projects I've been creating. I'm going to have extra sewing, knitting and making time in the next few months as the weather cools and the darkens in the evening. Then I'll decide how best to move forward with what I've made. I tend to make more things than I can ever use or give to my kids, so after that I'll decide what to sell and what to give. I've already had offers for some upcycled/recycled creations but since I don't actually want a "business" or an Etsy page, the question is, of course, how to share them and how to sell them..........

Which leads me to my upcoming big project, about which I could use your opinion. Regular readers know that I have been looking for a new "big project" for awhile. I explored many things, including a crafting book. I've pretty much decided to start a crafting/creative blog, but before I do, I'd love your opinion as to whether said blog should be rolled into this one  or a separate entity. And if it were a separate entity, which would you be more likely to read?

My thoughts are that this blog (or series of articles) would concentrate on being creative with what you have, learning with me projects and things to make for the non crafty. I'm still working on the title, since "Creativity for the Rest of Us" is too close to some other blog titles or tag lines. I decided that my original idea of a book would be too limiting, both in type of creativity and scope. I hope to include crafts and creative projects that any one can do, projects and recipes that including making things out of stuff on hand and even a "learn with me" series mentioned above as I learn to do new things step by step. As well as frugal crafting and projects.

In response to a comment, these would not just be pictures about what I was doing, this woudl be specific tutorials and how tues, sometimes with multiple pictures as I went through the projects!

Right now said blog is a twinkle in my eye until after the holidays, but I've begun writing in order to have a backlog of articles. I'll share more once I'm firmly on the way, but meanwhile, people, hit me!!

24 comments:

  1. I would like if your ideas for frugal crafting and projects and creative ideas in general would be sprinkled in in this blog; that way, only one blog to subscribe to and all in one place. Hey, that's my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your two cents. I just wanted to check becaue these would not be just pictures, but specifics and tutorials and the how and the why!

      Delete
    2. I agree with Terra. One blog, one place. Besides being harder for the reader - signing up for multiple blog, it will be harder for the blogger. I once had two blog - and it was darn hard to keep both up. And less fun.

      Delete
  2. Unless your purpose for starting a crafting blog is to eventually make money off advertisements, thus wanting a more commercial looking blog, I see nothing to gain from starting a separate blog and lots to lose in the way of convenience and holding onto your current followers. You are a long winded blogger---I say that affectionately---but I believe a little bit of separation of topics would actually benefit you. In other words write more stand-alone posts, not mixing stuff like volunteering, crafting and frugal living ideas all in one post. Once you start writing more stand-alone posts, learn how to use the ‘label’ feature on Bloggers. Set your setting to show the ‘label’s up near the top of your right hand column. That way anyone who just wants to read about yarn crafting can click on the ‘yarn crafting’ label. Anyone who is interested in frugal living can click on that label. Every so often you can write a personal journaling type posts that includes the titles and/or links to your recent stand-alone posts. Limit your labels to maybe ten like: Yarn Crafts, Fabric Crafts, General Crafting, Family Stuff, Upcycling, etc. Once a person clicks on a label the titles of those stand-alone titles will show up. You’ll get newer readers with the use of more specific titles too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this. I dont want to go to quite as much effort as you suggest above, and more concerning to me is that the crafting , cooking and other type posts would be longer and more specific, Im not looking for more readers or money as such, I am looking to be much more specific in terms of focus in this particular (creative) area.

      Delete
    2. It sound more complicAted than it is to use labels. But otherwise we're on the same page more than you think.

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of categories. I'm not into crafts, so if properly marked, I could just skip that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for rolling in your crafting ventures into this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think 2 separate versions of your blog would be best.
    I am newly retired (3 months) and interested in getting back to crafting and especially sewing, for fun, which I have not done on 25 years. I am in need of basics as far as possible updating of my sewing machine. Would like suggestions on what is needed in a newer sewing machine. Different types of presser foots ( I see a lot mentioned on walking foots and do not know what
    these are for). Just looking on Pinterest regarding how to make hems in something as simple as cloth napkins, there is mention of a rolling pressure foot...what are benefits, etc. I look forward to up cycling fabric. I too would like to make a denim quilt with flannel backing.Holiday table runners. I can follow instructions for making the blocks bit struggl on the other strips and adding borders. How do you chose, and what type of backing is available. Would rally like to start by making small quilted pot holders and hopefully if successful, this will boost my confidence! Also great for gifts. I live in an area with no fabric shops. Have to drive an hour. Would like info as to what sites are good on line and what to look for in picking fabrics. What tools out there...what is needed and why and show how to use. Maybe info on how to tie instead of quilting, but no idea how to best do this....materials, etc. Would like to know how to decorate cookies with royal icing.
    So excited to see what you will be doing. Than you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen and for other readers, I suspect I may not have been clear enough. For example, if I did "learn with me, making a T shrt quilt, there would be parts one two and three, many photos of the cutting, the ironing on the backing, and all the rest.....I like Janettes idea of a second blog and links from here, but I'm going to let the whole thing stew until the first of the year, or I come up with a really good title!

      Delete
  6. I enjoy your blog and will continue to be a reader whatever direction it takes.

    Since you asked though...I like the idea of having one blog for everything, and using tabs for tutorials, recipes, lists (for books, projects,etc.) Your blog entries then can link to info in the tabs as needed. My fear is that maintaining two plus blogs may become cumbersome. But there is a lot to be said in giving it a shot!

    I feel that everything you write about is what I'm interested in too, and I imagine many of your readers feel the same way. Whatever you decide to do, we will find you and enjoy what you are sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It would probably be easier for me to have one blog (or maybe not), but one of the things Ineed to consider as well is I have many younger (with young kids and so on) crafters in my two facebook groups who would only be interested in the crafting and not the retirement stuff as such-something that I probably should maybe have mentioned in the blog. Keep the ideas coming and I will work through them after the holidays!

      Delete
    2. You have a wide base audience, and probably why I like your blog so well! I'm excited for you and whatever direction you take!!

      Delete
  7. I like the idea of a new blog with links here. Maybe at the end of each post you can link... As far as donating clothes and stuff- Denver Rescue Mission and Purple Heart are two I suggest. I no longer go to or donate to Good will. They pay their employees less and are not a non profit. I wonder how people get a tax write off for donating.
    I am interested in doing some travel packing/frugal travel blog entries. If you start a new blog, I would love to join in from time to time. My blog is simply a journal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have more travel stuff soon, now that I can travel again, lol. I agree, not a fan of Goodwill ! I'll check out the mission, especially for clothes from gigantic the college guy.

      Delete
  8. Hi Barbara
    I enjoy your posts and would look at a second crafting blog as this is something I'm interested in. Personally I'm not too interested in recipes - there are so many available on the web but that's just me. I can understand that it's difficult to reconcile a wide age group of readers - I am recently retired so your frugal retirement posts are the most important to me. Sorry this may not be very helpful - I'm trying to say I will follow whichever path you decide upon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Second blog is my vote, with links from here to there. That way those that feel having to bookmark two blogs is a time consumer, they can just click on the link if the subject interests them. As someone who started a second "creative blog" and can't seem to find the time to post there....

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that you cant see time to post there is one of the things I am wondering..

      Delete
  10. HI Barbara, I like the idea of including links in your regular blog to the craft projects. I love your blog writing the way it is because in covering your day to day activities, there is often something that inspires me to act rather than think about doing. Whatever you decide, I'll continue to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE your blog, have read for years. I am not crafty and really at this point in my life (still working full time) not interested in being crafty, so a separate blog with links from this blog would work for ME but of course what matters is what works best for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy, in addition craft blogs posts I would be including specific cooking recipes, minor diy and all kinds of stuff as well.

      Delete
  12. You mentioned younger people might not want to read a blog for retired people. Another idea to think about is just tweaking the title of this blog to 'Living Richly on Less'. Changing the title does not change the blog address, does not effect anyone's bookmarks. I did that on my dog's blog when one died and I got another.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do something similar on my blog and categories help me keep recipe and crafting blogs separate. For me, I'd prefer not to have more than one website to maintain and pay for. I've thought about including project details but I'm not sure my audience is into that. But I'm sure you have a larger and more diverse audience than I do. I look forward to reading about your projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm always interested in new recipes. As far as crafts... not my thing, but I always enjoy seeing what you're up to. If it's too detailed for me I can just scan quickly and look at the pictures. Bottom line: doesn't matter to me if you use this blog for both types of posts.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!