Monday, November 12, 2018

Monday Morning-The Christmas List

As of today, it's six weeks until Christmas eve-and time for the master Christmas prep list. I'm not ignoring the Thanksgiving holiday, it's just that all I have to do for that is show up, smile, and eat. My son needs to make a green bean casserole, my sister a fruit salad, and I will simply pick up a pie that is not pumpkin-from the wonderful, wonderful bakery that is less than a mile down the road. I am one of those folks who does not miss the "hosting" part of the holidays in the least, judge me though ye may.

So for the next six weeks, my attention is mainly on said Christmas preparation, travel and the like. I have a few so called goals, but they general have to do with continuing to exercise and eat fairly well, continue my spiritual journey and do a little specific cleaning before putting up the tree and other decor. This year that also includes major insurance changes during open season.

I do have one other goal for these last couple months, as I do every year, and that is to sit down and free write (over a week as it comes to me) everything I want to do, think I might want to do, and think I might need to do. Which generally ends up being about ten times more than I will actually do. I write this stuff as it comes to me, in no particular order, and then as time permits, slowly order them by type (travel) and do whatever research is needed to decide if its realistic, and if I REALLY want to include that in the year to come. A big hint is if I've written it multiple times during my writing phase. By some time in January, I have a plan.

Meanwhile, on to the Christmas plan:

1. Doing: In the next few days I will make a schedule of those "go and see, hear or do" type things for Christmas. Drive and see the lights. This will probably be limited to a trip to our local gardens to see the lights, a local community presentation of A Christmas Carol, and a trip downtown to our German Christmas Market. We generally try and keep this to no more than three things. We COULD be doing something every single week and weekend but it's not my style. A couple craft fairs may possibly appear in the mix.

2. Making: I need to finish the following makes. There will be other smaller things I make along the way as I have time, for example I'm fairly sure I'll be making a third shawl. But these are the things I am committed to making and having finished as gifts. Knitting especially is getting done very quickly now that the weather has cooled and Netflix and Amazon prime are regular parts of my evening. Photos of all will be coming as finished.

  • The two shawls I've committed to, one ready to be cast off
  • The oft mentioned blanket for brother and sister in law
  • As much of the top of my daughter's T shirt quilt as I can finish, realizing that I will not be done since I've completely removed one fabric and starting anew
  • Fabric gift bags for all the gifts below.
  • Various tins and jars of hand salves and such for the small gifts to my groups (this is a one day intensive thing)
  • A couple scarves in college colors which generally take me a few hours to make (I tend to knit most mindless patterns quickly).
  • Food gifts which will mean another single day effort late in December. These include herbal butters, seasoned salts and so on. I'll be putting the other members of this household to work assembly line fashion. 

3. Baking: Get the following cooking done: Four dozen each at a minimum of the cookies listed below. One dozen each will go with us to Texas. One dozen will be shared at a "wrapping and cooking party" with my Denver family before we head down for Christmas.The other two will be spread among social activities and the like. Right now we have nine types and six weeks. The easy cookies will be done two a week (like two kinds of shortbread).
  • Lime Shortbread cookies, found here 
  • Orange Cranberry Chocolate Chip cookies (found in one of those cookie making magazines)
  • Eggnog biscotti
  • Mexican Wedding Rings/Snowballs-whatever name your culture and family use, but the powdered sugar nut thing
  • Decorated Sugar cookies (will be the last I make)
  • Brown sugar Shortbread
  • Chocolate icebox cookies found here 
  • Citrus Triangles found here (can you tell I like the Land O Lakes website)
  • Lemon Tarts
  • Other suggestions for my list?
4. Traveling: This year I have no real work to do. My son can only take a week off from work, so there will be no side trips. Twill be go, spend time with family, come back on shortest route. Since we take the dog with, the only planning requirement is the hotel reservation.

5. Entertaining: We are doing none, but participating in an early holiday event (said wrapping and cooking party) with the Denver contingent before we go. I have made two lunch reservations for my two social groups. Both do a kind of gift exchange (with the keep or steal model) and share cookies and small gifts. I have all of that covered as part of the other stuff.

6. Shopping:  I keep Amazon in business, and this is no exception. I have my list set for the beginning of December, with most of the gifts and gift cards scheduled for one big shipment. There will be just a couple side trips, including one to Etsy.com to choose one of the gifts shown below for the yard. I buy for my kids, son-in-law and sister. For the rest of the Denver contingent we share moderate gifts (ten of us including two children) by choice. On the Texas side, we are sixteen and we draw names. I've drawn the name of a sister in law who is post stroke and arm injury so I am on the search for kitchen tools that are more user friendly. Add in a couple experience type gifts like a trip to the Brown Palace Hotel for high tea in January and all is good. While I know some folks consider the shopping trip and attendant decorations part of the "Christmas spirit and experience thing:, I am just so happy to have everything arrive in two or three shipments and avoid crowds in my middle age-even smaller weekday crowds. 

I have until about the first to decide which of these two babies to order as a gift. On the one hand we have multiple Armadillos (of the metal type ) in the yard and the cactus would fit in with the theme. One the other hand...........



7.  Decorating: This year we are not leaving until the 22nd, so we may put up a few more decorations than usual. We always do a tree, Christmas dishes and dining decor, and put all the quilts out (of which there are many) either on chairs, as table covers or whatever. We also make a fireplace display of my son's nutcracker collection and add a few other things like a wreath. We've not put out our Christmas village since we started traveling to Texas. This year I intend to put out a few pieces-and ask said kids who prefers which houses.
Add caption

Whew!! That looks like alot, I know. but except for the baking, most of that will be done sitting in a chair while watching TV, and/or directing others (the directing process). For years I did less, but this is what I did last year, it was really relaxing, and I think I have found my "level". Honestly, it's amazing how much eliminating entertaining at home and mall shopping makes the rest of Christmas more enjoyable-at least for me.

And now? Well, it snowed and was rotten cloudy for the last day and a half. The sun has appeared. I am going to enjoy my second day of not going out in the weather, and not feel bad about the fact that my walk will not be shoveled until tonight after dark or tomorrow morning some time!!

19 comments:

  1. Like you, I prefer Christmas over T'giving, and I invest a lot more time and energy for the end of December. I've already bought a few presents and started making arrangements, but ... your schedule makes my effort look pretty lame. Anyway, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks busy, but that no shopping and get it by mail thing makes it soo much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will be a busy bee with all that on your agenda. I wish I was on the list to get those eggnog biscotti. I love biscotti and few people make it homemade.

    I don't know how much you will spend on your gift for your post-stroke sister-in-law but a cutting board/paring board is really handy. https://www.amazon.com/AliMed-Single-Handed-Cutting-Board/dp/B000SON1JA/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1542053272&sr=8-2&keywords=one+handed+gadgets The spikes holds potatoes and other veggies for peeling and slices, the raised side works well for making sandwiches and slicing meat, etc. My husband got one in stroke rehab that was handmade and probably for a whole lot less than the store bought. This is probably more than you'll spend but I'm sharing anyway for your other readers who may not have a restrict spending limit. Lots of products out there for one-handed cooking if you google the topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!!. Im not sure it's one handed cooking but the weight on the wrist, but she will send me some suggestions and I will look at the links. She had hand issues pre-stroke and was wearing wrist braces.

      Delete
  4. I'm not really into holidays, other than cooking special food. Your baking plans look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im looking forward to it, I tend to be into alost every holiday.

      Delete
  5. I'm going to try baking those lime shortbread cookies during my Christmas cookie baking too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a test batch with my knitting group and they were a HUGE success.

      Delete
  6. Thank goodness for Amazon and Etsy. I'm actually done with my gifts already. Made lots of them. List is ready for Thanksgiving dinner right down until when I cook what. Christmas list is started and gift wrapping has begun in earnest. So much better to be planned. Before retirement, and the discovery of Amazon, I was cramming to get it all done the last two weeks before Christmas. Took all the fun out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those lime shortbread cookies sound heavenly. I'm going to try that recipe, too. Sounds like you've got a good plan for the holidays.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try them. We'll see how it goes, I refuse tomake myself crazy.

      Delete
  8. Looks like you have your plans in place. By this time last year I was pretty much busy with concerts and plays. It was my goal last year to really enjoy the plays and music of a Christmas nature and I was happy to do it. This year my goal is enjoy the lead up to the season and I've been getting ready a bit at a time. I'll be busy enjoying that until Christmas arrives...no big pressures on me this year. I go to my one real Christmas event in another week. It always starts early around here since our Thanksgiving is in October and most people do all their non-family celebrating in late November and early December so they can focus on loved ones and their own households (or travel) the remainder of the month. Enjoy ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am impressed by your energy!! I’m a Thanksgiving person more than Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy thanksgiving, but I always feel like the main purpose is to eat!

      Delete
  10. Bought my first Christmas gift last weekend. I just bake one thing typically (cardamom bread, a family recipe). I'm tempted to try the lime cookies. We have a lime tree in our yard!

    ReplyDelete
  11. After following your blog for a while, I've realized that although our situations are different (I'm married and retired with a nice pension), we are very similar in what we enjoy and how we go about things. Take a look at my blog and see what you think. I'd love to have you follow me!! www.retiredintrovert.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Christmas as the sons get to come home for longer than a couple of days.

    I am almost finished my Christmas makes and will be making my baking list up shortly. Decorating will wait until Christ the King Sunday. Travel may just be to our family Christmas get together on Christmas Day (if I feel up to it).

    I hope you get all your plans completed.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. retirement is scary. Since I am a Mobile App Developer in Dubai that is literally all I do. I do not have a saving account or what ya'll call a retirement fund. Literally. Don't encourage your kids to be a Mobile App Developer Dubai trust me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!