Friday, September 21, 2018

The Great American Read-My New Challenge

I am an avid reader. It's a rare week when I don't plow through two novels. And yes, I do remember what I read. I read fiction, literature, current non fiction, along with non-fiction books about my specific interests such as travel, art, needlework and the like. 

The largest portion of my reading is, without doubt, police procedural/mystery/thriller type novels. To the extreme that I subscribe to Kindle Unlimited (a review post coming on that) in order to read new and different authors and such.

Recently some of my knitting gal pals (who are mainly avid readers as well) turned me on to the Great American Read, a PBS series that explores the 100 most loved novels that Americans read (found after a survey). Each week a certain type of book is discussed, and in May at the end of the series, voters will choose the number one Great American Read. 




Coming late to the party as I am, this past Tuesday was the first time I was watching. Last week's theme was "Who am I?",  and included novels like The Outsiders, To Kill a Mockingbird, A Prayer for Owen Meany, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Siddhartha, Catcher in The Rye as well as others.

While I probably would not necessary agree with the voting of the top 100 (I'm not sure the Alex Patterson Cross series is great anything after the first novel or two), I was surprised at how many I have not read. I mean, I know that I said I read a lot of thrillers, but I also like good literature and was raised by parents who read  good literature.

So my goal (with no timetable and no pressure), is to read all the books on this list that I have not read. Even If I'm not sure they should be on the list or have never heard of them before. Starting most likely with a book had I literally never heard of, Swan Song by Robert McCammon. 

The list of books is here and in the interest of honestly and sharing my ignorance, below are the books I have NOT read, most with title only. How about you?

The Chronicles of Narnia
The Giver
One Hundred Years of Solitude (I know, I know, please don't judge)
Game of Thrones Series (the one selection I may not fulfill)
Tales of the City
Swan Song
Beloved (again, I know, I know)
Hatchet (young Adult)
This Present Darkness
Ghost (young adult)
Gilead (M Robinson)
White Teeth (Zadie Smith)
The Coldest winter Ever
The Help
A Confederacy of Dunces
The sirens of Titan (I can think of so many more Kurt Vonnegut books that probably belong here)
The Institutionalist
The Shack (the second one I may never read. I know other widows and folks who have not been able to get past the beginning)
The book Thief
A Separate Peace
Things Fall Apart
Americanah
Bless me Ultima
Pilgrim's Progress
Ready Player One
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
Crime and Punishment
Outlander
Dona Barbara
Memoirs of a Geisha
Looking for Alaska
Siddhartha
Mind Invaders
A Prayer for Owen Meany (of course I've read so many other Irving books)
The Wheel of Time
Left Behind Series (so very much will I not read)

And there you have it. The books on the list that I have not read. I'm hesitant about GOT having seen all the TV series, I will never read a Left Behind Series book, and probably not read The Shack.

Where would YOU begin?





23 comments:

  1. I've read 7 books on your haven't read list (I'm not sure about the other books as I didn't check the list yet). I have read The Shack and I honestly couldn't understand what all the fuss was about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do check the list, it's long and comprehensive and as I say, I'm not sure James Patterson, The Left Behind series or a couple of others would even enter my radar, but it's a survey of everyone. And while I like Vonnegut and will read the above book, my nomination would surely be something else.

      Delete
  2. I should clarify that by fuss I mean controversy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont think its a controversy, but as a widow experiencing depresson and grief I simply could not get past the first section and most folks I know who have experienced a loss have reacted the same way.

      Delete
  3. Why the I know I know for One Hundred Years of Solitude and Beloved? I have read both. Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I know many people who will say to me in person or otherwise, knowing the kind of books I read that " What?? You havent read......?"

      Delete
  4. Thanks for informing us about the great American read! I highly recommend A Confederacy Of Dunces and enjoyed both Beloved and the GOT series, though the latter took a long time to complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister says the first three were pretty good and the fourth was horrible (i think thats the one that follows the girl and the dragon wherever she goes?). I am actually ashamed with myself that I have not gotten to Beloved yet, hence the I know.

      Delete
  5. I've only read 41 on the books on that list. A lot of the books others like are not ones that I do, so mostly I take lists like that with a grain of salt. I will never read the 'Shack' either. Nor does 'A Hundred Years of Solitude' appeal to me. I'm not fond of books that span centuries or those that have God as a character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I aknowledge the fact that some of the books I will not like. I hated Catcher in the Rye, but I am not sorry I read it even so. There are no types of books as such that I don't like to read and I even read books from other religions. But I am the girl who has deliberately seen the 100 best movies of al times (both lists) with my son, even though I did not love some after I saw them. It's the challenge and new experiences thing.

      Delete
    2. I get that. I like to understand why others like some of the movies and books that I don't. Some books and movies are just good for you, like taking your medications, even if you don't like them.

      Delete
  6. Maybe there should be a category for books we started but didn't finish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually dont do that very often, or much less often than you would think. I do it occasionally with current books that truly suck but when it comes to literature or stuff like that, I try and continue reading. Mainly because a couple of my favorite boks in life (The Historian comes to mind) were slow in the beginning and I had to force myself to read like 20 pages a day for book club, but then there was that "Oh my God" moment when I couldnt put it down and read until two in the morning. My avoidance of the shack is purely an emotional thing and would probably not affect me the same way now..........although one of my issues in general is quantifying of God be it through something like the movie the Passion of Christ or something else.

      Delete
  7. Just finished the GOT series and actually quite enjoyed it. I enjoyed The Shack. Off to check the list to see what I have or haven't read.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh- read Hatchet. Love that book. I taught in for about ten years and gleam something every time.
    I've read all but 17 on the list. I agree with you on Kurt V and wonder why this, particular, one was chosen.
    The Help- what a great book. That author hit that place and period perfectly.
    I have to admit I had two amazing lit teachers in high school. Almost all of the books, pre 1975, were read in their classes.
    Have you read the Quilt series? Jennifer Chiaverini is an excellent writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, will have to check it out. Yep, I have read every book in the Quilt series.

      Delete
  9. There are many I haven't read. I thank you very much for sharing this list. I am going to read more on this list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, more books to read. I love to read mostly nonfiction and I am no where near as fast as you are. The problem is I already have 87 books in my Goodreads To Read List. I think I will just cheer you on as you read from this list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read all of the classics on this list ( I read English Lit at uni) - many of the modern books I wouldn't read. Thanks for posting this- I have discovered two more classics of childrens literature which I didn't know and will track them down now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m typically not into reading books from.the various lists that emerge. Often one book I read leads me to another more to do with specific topics of interest that may be science-oriented, autobiography, media, government, and other including some fiction — most recently. I read in spurts and may take weeks away from books, then engage again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!