Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Tuesday Morning Things, Some Frugal

.........because somehow, I lost Monday morning.....

1.  On Friday, we took a half an hour drive to a brew pub (that was further away than I thought) and had lobster rolls for dinner along with crab flavored chips. If you've never had crab flavored chips, trust me. Just trust me. At almost twenty dollars a lobster roll (plus a variety of beers including watermelon and a really good dark), this was not the cheapest dinner I've had. But. Lobster rolls. Really good lobster rolls.




2. On the other hand,  most of the weekend was quiet and at home. Saturday was spent hanging and working in the yard and sewing, and  eating a choice of leftover fish, grilled chicken, and pork ribs. Sunday I went to church and mainly hung out on the patio, except for a quick foray to the food fest down the road. There were actually very few tents, so I just hung around, walked the outdoor shopping area (which is gorgeous) and listened to the Blues Brothers cover band. I did grab two Gigi's cupcakes. One was black forest with creme filling and frosting, and the other lemon with lemon cream cheese filling and lemon frosting!! 
Gigi's changes their menu seasonally and in the fall they have a variety of pumpkin and spice related items-can't wait!




3. It's not frugal to have the end of your yarn so far in knots that it's unusable and you cannot un-knot it. Thankfully I have a knitting friend who has the patience and interest to unknot hanks of yarn, so she will save it on Wednesday since I hate to waste yarn. Then I will be onto the next project, a shawl. Trying to decide if my knitting skills have progressed enough that I can make my own sweater.  



4. Yesterday I made my foray to one of the two main grocery stores where I bought the "loss leader" meats for the week. You know, those things that are on the very front page. This week, that was boneless pork chops buy one get one free, and chicken thighs (not boneless). This afternoon we will have barbecue chicken thighs in the slow cooker. Hint: put them on high, throw in the sauce and cook for four hours or a bit more. The skin will actually turn dark and crisp and yummy. And then if it's against your religion to eat skin, remove it. Not before.

5.  This afternoon, I'm doing two "mystery shops", one at a car dealer and one at a fitness center. I jumped into this almost by accident. I'm finding that it's fun, rewarding and I can do it in my immediate area. I'm still at the beginning though, so the question will be what companies think of my reports and narratives. I'm actually a great test case for fitness centers. I don't fit a general demographic and I have specific needs. It's been fun.

6.  Also yesterday, I jumped online for awhile to peruse end of season sales. I live in the land of layering, short sleeved tops and cardigans are always part of my purchases (I'm a cardigan girl, even for dressier occasions, not a jacket girl).  I found some deep discounts, but I left them in my shopping cart (at places I've logged into) and walked away. We'll see if said places come back with a personalized coupon or special deal.

7.  And finally, I'm working on changing up my retirement routing. While I'm still not the morning person of my dreams, I'm making some adjustments. It used to be that my mornings were spent staring at the screen. These days I'm trying to slowly dress and make my bed and then wander into my studio. I'm mainly saving my late afternoon and early evening  for all things that have to do with being online(which may means you may not see an immediate response to your comments). This morning I sat with my sketchbook and new watercolors and doodled (by making a chart of what the colors looked like on paper). This is working better for me, because I'm finding a different kind of creativity in the "barely awake times". This is more organization or planning than I've done in years. But it seems like I'm actually upping the laziness factor and getting more fun time in the morning. 



I've also moved my exercise almost completely to the pool (which is closed this week for it's annual maintenance), moving my "moving time" from eleven thirty to one or two. Since it takes time to develop a habit (new research shows closer to ninety days than twenty or thirty), I've actually begun a sort of schedule on the pages of my trusty journal. We'll see how that works out!

8. My pain has increases exponentially with exercise lately (hence the above move to the pool). While walking doesn't hurt, my gait is off just enough that the day after I walk the compensatory leg is both extremely painful in the groin area on that side and in the front thigh area. I'm exploring additional herbs and supplements but meanwhile I'm jumping into that heated pool (and thankful I bought all those discount tickets). This week, I will fake it as best I can with chair aerobics ad extra walking round the house!

Today? I'm going to hit those mystery shops, throw something into the slow cooker and embrace some knitting or quilting and the newest book I got through Kindle Unlimited!


11 comments:

  1. Those cupcakes look to die-for. But the lobster chip gave me hives just looking at them. Just kidding. I'd have to touch one first. I've got to find a food truck some place. Can you believe I've never been to one outside of a carnival!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are all over here, ad some times there are food truck events!

      Delete
  2. I did mystery shopping for a while. About a year. In the end it wasn't worth the time I put in for the amount of money I received. But there are many mystery shops in urban areas that probably pay well. Since I live in a rural area I had to drive quite a bit. I did love the 'mystery' part though, fit my personality.
    the cupcakes look divine:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do live in a large suburban area. I was gone from home two hours exactly and my earnings were 50 bucks. Well see how it goes.

      Delete
  3. Those cupcakes look delicious. Have you tried qigong for the pain. It helps me quite a bit. What herbs do you use? I take Yucca, turmeric, and tart cherry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not. I rely on on water exercise, major strength training, meditation, eliminating inflammatory foods when I can and ginger, tumeric, and same E.

      Delete
  4. That lobster roll looks amazing and so do those cupcakes.

    I think your knitting skills are just fine to try a basic sweater.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the set in sleeve thing that terrifies me.

      Delete
    2. Barb, just use lots of pins. Line up the seam in the sleeve with the side seam. Find the center of the top of the sleeve and pin that, then just pin between. It is almost like sewing in that respect. You can do it.

      Delete
  5. There is a lot to be said for living in an urban area, as your post demonstrates so nicely. The trade off for putting up with denser living is that there are generally so, so many activities from which to choose.

    We have recently begun following a few food trucks that offer absolutely stellar food. It really is amazing how far food trucks have come since being referred to as roach coaches(!) . . . these days they often put out food closer that's to fine dining.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sign me up for that lobster roll and a trip to the brew pub, they sound great. I take turmeric and glucosamine chondroitin daily, just one tablet each, for their antiinflammatory effects.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!