Friday, August 3, 2018

Spending to Save-My Health That Is





I have a confession: For years, I used to write about, talk about, and listen to other people talk about the idea of "free" exercise. 


You know what I mean: you don't need to join a gym. Walk. Run,  If you simply have to, buy a used treadmill (or insert other item here). If you need to spend money, spend it on a bike. Because not only is exercise free, you should be outside instead of in a facility. And anyway, haven't you seen how deserted all those fitness centers are come April?

And in truth, that was my philosophy for a great many years. I live a block off a large bike/walk/jogging path.  Why do I need to go inside. I can find online exercise. In fact, awhile back I shared a whole post (see here) on how I exercised at home using online sources and U-tube aerobics instruction.

As often happens, I have, as they say, changed my mind. Completely. For awhile now, I have been paying $3.50 a visit to my local recreation center. No, it doesn't require a monthly or annual commitment. I pay as I drop in. And yes, I can buy discounted entries in bulk. But neither is it free, and as someone who attempts go to a minimum of 3 times a week and sometimes more, my cost is more than the cheapest fitness centers around, easily.

Note: Before anyone jumps in, my insurance does not cover Silver Sneakers, which is not free as such to everyone on Medicare but is paid for by the supplemental plans-usually Blue Cross, Kaiser and United Health. My federal retiree insurance (and many other federal programs) does not cover SS. My benefits are so great, especially in the drug area, that I have no intent of ever changing just for this particular benefit.

I admire those people who can get up and run in the morning, truly I do. And some of those people will tell me that it just takes time to create that habit. My experience unfortunately was different. I have too many things to distract me at home, and somehow, my intent to work out or walk every week day was left by the wayside.  I NEED a specific time and place to be in order to get my exercise "done". Never mind the fact that I enjoy exercising in a group situation, and will never be installing a heated pool on my property in the near future.

I'm still not a perfect exerciser, although I am getting better. I still excuse myself when the pain is too great, even though I have a heated therapy at my disposal. I still tell myself that it's not healthy to go from a warm and steamy pool situation to cold weather when the winter arrives. Last week I was in the center either three or four days.  This week, however, I've been to an exercise class one day, and plan to go to the pool tomorrow (although I don't want to think about how many painful steps I took on my errand day). And I'm only actually going to class (as opposed to the pool walking ) twice a week because most of the classes are before ten am-a time at when I am neither alert nor responsive.

It's also important to note that I do not "like" to exercise, even walking. Whomever said that eventually you get addicted to exercising never met me. Exercise, even in a heated, relaxing therapy pool is not my jam, if you will. I wish I golfed well enough so that I could consider that exercise. Exercising is something I HAVE to do to be healthy. Just so we are clear, lol.

But I am determined to do as much exercise as I am able (as defined by me). And if it means spending money, committing to a time, and even hopping into my car, it works for me.

Just as my $150 San Antonio Shoes decrease my knee pain and increase my ability to walk extra steps when possible, and my pedicures (now a medical line item because of my lack of ability to bend the knees ) increase my foot health, some spending on exercise is worthwhile when it improves my long term health. Because they all make me healthier, and help lower my medical bills now and later.

At least I hope so.

8 comments:

  1. I do make time to walk every day, but with the dog days of summer upon us I am so tempted to forgo this for a bit. I won't until winter (then I will be using the treadmill) though.

    I am looking for some online exercises that I can do until I get in a bit better shape. Going to be tough fitting it in with all the wrist exercises I need to do every day, but eventually I hope to get that started.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll find them, the interenet is your friend in this area. That's where I found all my weight and resistance exercises that I do with my bands and such

      Delete
  2. more power to you! I wish I could develop a love of exercise. The most I'm able to sub stain an interest in any kind physical activities is 5-6 months, then I'm back to being an obsessed crafter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ALWAYS an obsessed crafter. But I am determined to better my health in the extreme so although exercise is not my thing as such, I force myself to do it an hour a day.

      Delete
  3. I too keep trying to make exercise so routine that I won't skip it when I am low energy or busy. Right now I am trying out lap swimming which required that first I take swim lessons to hone my technique. When those are over we'll see how I do! Keep paying for it if it helps you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is just my routine that I get up and exercise every day -yoga or pilates. And I don't have a car so I walk a lot. If your routine is going somewhere to exercise great! Just keep doing it and I hope you eventually find something that you like. There is nothing more important to spend money on than your own health.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you’re making. a wise investment. Friends (in their mid seventies now — younger than me) who live some distance from me did have a heated pool for laps (narrow) installed years ago. But we're In So Cal so winter weather different here than where you are for energy expense. Even at that they sometimes go to a nearby indoor rec pool. Water workouts have been ideal for them and especially for her arthritic issues. They live too far away for me to join them.

    I’ve made effective exercise commitments at different times in my life when I was younger — first yoga when I was pregnant that I ceased after birthing — years later biking that I ended after reaching my weight loss goal and then became time-squeezed in a sandwiched situation while I was also in grad school — just not enough time in day for me then. Years later I did take advantage of an exercise program available at a reduced rate when working at a local hospital. Then when I left I was all psyched up to continue variations of the patterned series of exercises, bought bar bells — but didn’t get started. I’ve had no excuse for the past decade for not resuming regular exercising though I’m really out of shape now and what I can and cannot do has changed to lower level. I did go to Silver Sneakers after the first of year, but could not keep up with group already functioning at a higher level than I could do, plus I discovered later I had an infection, had been sick there, too -- went through a period of medical issues prohibitive to exercising. Now, I need to make a commitment to starting something as I have no excuse for not doing so. I do have some bed exercises from years earlier stints in P.T. I erratically do and they make a difference in how I feel, so must just become more dedicated and expand on them.

    If you haven’t at some point in time previously, you might ask Dr. to write order (prescription) for you to have a bout of P.T. so they can give you specific recommendations for what is safe and most appropriate for you to undertake. Likely you would be given a routine practiced first there, a handout with pictures for guidance — all in addition to your pool workouts. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have a love/hate relationship with exercise. I know I should do it and always feel good when it's done, but there are SO many other things I want to do with that time. And if I don't do it first thing in the morning, it doesn't get done. My husband is very supportive and tries to make it easier for me, but the drive is just not there!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!