Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Today


When I was looking for a photograph for this post, I grabbed one of many from my twenty some years of living in the Washington DC area. As I joked with a friend yesterday who asked me about fireworks, except for Boston, I may never feel the need to see public fireworks again. However, I need to be honest. Had I posted a flag, my natural inclination would have been to show it upside down. Because I truly believe we are a nation in distress. In more ways than one.

Don't get me wrong, as an historian and a military veteran, this is surely a time to recognize both the history of this country, it's "birthday", and the Declaration of Independence (although it should be noted that the majority of individuals living in this country at the time were neither independent nor full citizens, including the female ancestors of this writer). As a country, we've survived 242 years. And that is a testament, absolutely, to all of us, as well as our parents and ancestors!

But we are in a time of crisis, and things seem to be getting worse. Hate crimes and acts of intolerance have gone up almost 42 percent in some areas since the election. Overt acts of discrimination and hate have become acceptable.  A man screaming in a coffee shop (at folks who happened to be citizens, mind you, in some cases) to speak English?  A woman calling the cops this week on a woman of color who happened to be a representative canvasing her neighbors on their concerns?  What have we come to? 

Just as one example,  The vitriol I see on many websites implies that people either don't know the difference between illegal immigrants and asylum seekers fleeing violence, or just don't care. When a woman walks across Mexico from fleeing from Honduras and accidental arrives at a border crossing that is not an "official port of entry", that should be considered a mistake, not a crime. Would you know which of hundreds of border crossings were ports? I don't and I speak English. A commenter on this blog implied that children taken from asylum seekers (not illegal immigrants) put in camps were in caring environments.  Where I come from, a cage where kids sleep with space blankets and adults are forbidden from touching or comforting children is not a caring environment. Are we ignorant, do we not care, or are we so full of hate for the "other" that anything goes?

Some folks may remember that I wrote a missive here on the politics of hate, immediately after the election. Specifically I said that I had personal friends who were Muslim, African American and Asian, and that they were afraid.  While some agreed with me, many others pooh-poohed that fear. The implication was that they, and I, were over reacting. The natural order of things, the branches of the US government, the so called intelligence of congress (especially moderate Republicans) would not allow that to happen. Folks, if you were one of the people that said that to me, you were wrong. Hate, idiocy, intolerance, all have blossomed in the last couple of years. And if that is offensive to some, so be it.

Years, ago, as a young college chick in the middle of one of the difficult times in our country, I woke up and realized something:  Richard Nixon not only divided the country in a way that affected it for years to come. He took great pleasure in the fact, and did it deliberately. I see that same pleasure in Donald Trump. He LIKES what has happened and is happening in this country. So to those of you who voted for him, I'll say this. If you did not know what he was, you do now.

But to be clear, hate and intolerance are not the only issues we face. We have entered into multiple trade wars. Wars which we not only cannot win, but that virtually EVERY economist, conservative or liberal assures us will end in a recession. We've apparent decided that it's okay to to leave a planet falling apart to our kids and grand kids because, well, it's their problem. If we leave a national debt for them so that we can lower taxes now, well, again, that's not our problem. Let them deal with it. And let's not even get into the fact that the President of the United States, in all seriousness now, wants to INVADE Venezuela. Has wanted to for awhile if you will, and has fortunately been held back at this point by the intelligence of the US military. Never mind the fact that our leader has alienated every single ally except for the evil empires of the world. That's right. Our President thinks that Putin is a really good, admirable guy. He thinks that he can deal with North Korea, and he admires the leader of China for making himself leader for life. If those last sentences don't give you pause, they should. The man admires dictators, rather than democratic leaders.

Now, I'm a generally positive person. I believe that we are part of a great country that has a future. But here's the thing (and where I break with some bloggers and their writings in the past few weeks). Burying our heads in the sand is not a positive solution. Can the news be too much sometimes?  Can we get overloaded? The answer is absolutely to both. But ignoring what is happening is dangerous, and yes, I mean to use that word. Disconnect from social media if you must. Choose one or two reliable news stations (I always recommend BBC America). Even though it "hurts", read the news from the perspective of the other side on occasion.

But most importantly, act. Vote, vote, vote, vote. Make sure everyone you know votes, even if you are opposed politically. As my daddy used to say in my radical years, a vote to abstain is a vote against. In other words, if you didn't vote last time, you helped elect the current administration. But do more than vote. Demonstrations are not for everyone. But find ways NOW, and everyday to make it clear where you stand. Put your money (however much or little that may be) where your mouth is. Say something if you observe someone being mistreated. Spend some actual time with someone who is different from you-in terms of race, gender orientation or anything else.

Because talk is cheap, folks. And while voting may be the most important thing we do, it's occasional at best. And we live in times where we need to physically (not just in writing), stand up for what we believe and let others know it. Every.Single.Day.

And finally, because I know there will be comments invariably here about my patriotism, I would remind you that I am a veteran, the widow of a veteran, the daughter of a veteran and the sister-in-law of a veteran (who served seven, count them seven tours in the middle east). He would be the first to say that what we fought for was kindness, consideration, and equality and openness-to all those in need wherever they may be from. None of us served, or fought, for isolationism or hate. And in fact, we served in a military that welcomes Muslims, gays, those who are transgender, women, folks of color and immigrants, documented and otherwise. Whether our current president likes the idea or not, those are the people who defend his right to be an president. On a daily basis.

Happy Fourth!

20 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you've written. We are in dangerous times and protecting our democracy is more fragile than I ever would have guesses before we got such an unqualified, vindictive liar in the White House and a Congress full of people willing to go along. I can't believe he wants to withdraw from NATO, from the Human Rights Commission and United Nations plus give our clean water and air away to the highest bidder and other travesties and all while giving a nod to White Supremacy and Nationalists groups. He's wearing people out and the more of us who sticks their heads in the sand and ignores the news, the easier it's going to be to slash rights we all hold dear.

    Thank you for speaking up.

    By the way you mentioned having ancestors here before our Declaration of Independence. So do I. If you run across the Otis and Warren families of Boston while reading about yours, those are my people. They made the pages of the history books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your eloquent writing. Yes!! Yes!! and Yes!!!! I always want to say stuff like this but it never quite comes out like yours did. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you & your family for your many years of service & sacrifice. I agree 100% with what you've stated her. Dark & scary times for sure. But we'll persevere. We must. For the sake of our children & grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your style is so unique in comparison to other folks I've read stuff from.
    Thank you for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I'll just bookmark this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well written and I agree with everything you've said. Our leadership (everyone's) and governments need prayer and we all need to do what we can, where we can to effect positive change. Sadly I think there are many today who simply do not care. Even so I try to remain positive because the alternative to that is not an option for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo!! To be perfectly honest, I usually agree with only half of what a blogger posts about politics but you, I agree with 100%. As for those who vote, I can understand those who voted for our current president...that is their right. Who I really blame for this is those who did not use their right to vote. Those who chose to stay home and not be bothered.

    Thanks for the great post. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very saddened that the folks who wanted Bernie simply dropped out. I will vote Democratic, always. Sitting out the election gave it away to Donald. We can’t let this happen again. I pray everyone will vote and that every vote against trump makes the difference in getting him out of Washington. I’ll be getting young folks out to register.

      Delete
  7. I'm with you on all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said, but I think the country he wants to invade is Venezuela, not Argentina. Of course, it's insane either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops, completely missed that typo. Probably typed while I was watched or reading about Argentina in the world cup, distracted as Iw as!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for this, Barbara. We are indeed living in frightening times. I have decided to focus on getting people registered to vote. We won't be in the country for the election, but besides getting people registered I'm trying to make sure that people have a "buddy" that will make sure they get to the polls. I'm deeply afraid though now that there will be more meddling with our election this time, but hoping that votes will overwhelm any mischief that might go on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen! Could not agree more with everything you’ve said. And thank you for your service.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spot on, Barbara. These are scary times. I am most concerned about what type of country we are leaving our children and grandkids (and their children). A post-truth world cannot function for long. A country lead by a moron (that isn't name calling, just a fact) will not be a leader in anything for long. There are consequences to all actions. We are starting to pay the price.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A trade war benefits no-one. After the first burst of tariffs on the EU, China, Canada etc. the EU for one hit back on whiskey, Harley Davidson, orange juice, peanuts and so on. Seems like an odd selection but when I asked my friends in the know they simply said they are hitting back at products made in the States that supported Trump so that he will lose his support base - and it will happen. All those "terrible" trade deals negotiated by US negotiators over the last 40 years - makes you think how come they were such "idiots" and only Trump knows that. All I can say is God help America. You write beautifully and eloquently and I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What really scares me is some of those feelings are being felt here in Canada. The old line Conservatives are building on this fear and hate making me really worry for the country of my birth.

    One good thing that Trumps tariffs and his disrespect for our Prime Minister has united most (those who are not red necked conservatives) us in our dislike of the bully.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Barbara! Really good post that says what I hope many of us are thinking and feeling. As you say, even as an optimist for life AND for our country, I believe that we must stay active and do whatever we can to turn things back around. I was very disappointed that the primaries (at least here in CA) had such a low turnout. There are ALWAYS important things being voted on and we must participate if we want things to be different. I don't write much about politics on my own blog--but that doesn't mean that behind the scenes I'm not busy doing what I can to bring about positive change. As you say, we need to encourage others as much as possible to also get involved. IMHO that is as patriotic as it gets! ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete

  15. another great post which I agree with 100% Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  16. new to your blog, and I support your position 1000%. Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to read your voice on what’s happening to the United States. I’ve long been urging others to recognize the plan that is being implemented that’s intended to alter our form of government. History describes how that is done and the steps followed that culminated in WWII for recent generations to recall as an example. We see people in Turkey traveling down the dictator path today. Our leader has us on the same road. Incredibly, to me, is the failure of others in this nation to recognize and/or speak out louder about the danger to our freedoms. For much too long divisiveness and intolerance has been deliberately fostered forbits end result. — “.....divided we fall”. We need the Fourth Estate — the Press — as never before and they need our support. We must assume the responsibility for determining who speaks lies and who speaks truth among them and at all levels of our government.

    ReplyDelete
  18. these are scary times indeed. I am scared watching events unfold from Canada and I believe I would be FREAKING out live in the US.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!