Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Tuesday, At Home

Most of my readers know that I make every attempt to keep myself at home on Tuesday and Thursday or Friday. Sure, I may run out to do an exercise class or take my walk, but mainly those days are reserved for being at home.

I am never bored, never run out of things to do at home, and almost never unhappy. While I would not choose to be home multiple days for the most part, I can generally find plenty of  things to do in those circumstances.  Unless I am sick and hanging in that half light of in between-ness that I experienced during the cold that was worse than the flu period. 

I expect this is because I have a variety of hobbies that are home based or can at least be done at home, and because I've made my home work for me. I'm not talking remodels  or additions here, or even major decorating. I live modestly and comfortably in a 1960s rental house that will always need a little work and I like it that way. I get to travel,  eat out a great deal, get expensive art materials and travel to and help my kids. 


I'm talking about simple changes and repurposed rooms that make this house work for me now. Not the people I used to entertain all the time, not my kidlets, not the neighbor who comes to the front door.  This has meant mainly many small changes, including the repurposing  of those rooms. 

For example, instead of a living room and a dining room on opposite sides of the kitchen, we have a noisy TV room and a quiet room. Long time readers will remember the discussion of what to call this space which is constantly in flux. We settled on the fireplace room. The furniture doesn't match (I'm getting one of those recliners that helps you up in the fall), but it is crazy comfy. And yes, we keep the table with leafs down in the middle of the room. It serves as a landing space, decor central (note wrinkled patriotic quilt just put out), and more. I just asked my son if he thought I  should put said table in the corner and blue chair out in the middle of the room and his answer was no. Maybe next year when the fireplace is in use. We put my son's t-shirt quilt on the blue chair one day when the dog was feeling punky and now he won't let us take it away. He whines when it's ti me to lie down and it's not there!

Meanwhile, today, at home:


I spent a great deal of time reading and meditating in my little swing area, which is now completely covered by the grapevines (yes!) and tree canopy shown below. I think I have enough shade and rain cover that we can wait on making the heated girl cabin in the fall.



I practiced my free motion quilting for a half hour, all my hands could take. Someday, I'll be able to quilt that vintage quilt on my own in the pattern I want.
A spring yard picture
You all knew there had to be a picture of Wilson somewhere!
I started my online course on watercolors through Craftsy, I'll be reviewing that subscription soon.

I spent lunch exploring Airbnb properties on Padre Island for early September. Cottage or condo?




And I finished my day when I had lamb steaks cooked by my son, along with fresh spinach and a salad. It's always great when I'm not the one cooking!

3 comments:

  1. I've always been interest in trying Craftsy. Probably will give it a try now that I'm back to jewelry making. My day home is Saturday. I never leave the house on that day. That's my day for Me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your enthusiasm for keeping busy is something I admire. I keep coming back here hoping it will inspire me to make better use of my time. I'm very good at wasting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! I also LOVE LOVE LOVE my at-home days when I can put on my long silky house dress and flip flops,take a loong time on patio with my coffee and internet. Swim in the pool,read, cook, nap, take an online class,listen to some new music, and even clean up my craft room (maybe..) I love when I can avoid driving, crowds, and the "too much to do" syndrome at least a few days a week.makes me savor the OUT days when I volunteer,go to church, library, out with friends. Your home and yard look comfy and cozy and just perfect for all your hobbies and lifestyle!! We also downsized and the extra $$ does go far......

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!