Thursday, May 17, 2018

Best Laid Plans

My exercise routine is slowly, slowly, slowly working itself out. I was shocked to find that two of the best seated routines that I found online are obviously meant for those folks who have been sitting in meetings- kind of like a half hour workout before lunch kind of thing. High-energy but without esoteric moves, if you will. 

Adding that to my leg strengthening program, doing silver sneakers when I can and making an effort to get lots of steps around the house will hopefully keep me until the repair of my heated pool. My extra steps around the house usually come from my being terribly inefficient. You know, taking a glass from the bedroom to the kitchen and then walking to another room for another glass......

Meanwhile......the goal today and yesterday and even tomorrow was for me to be at home. I even took knitting off the calender yesterday. This time of year and early fall are the times I most love the garden  and the patio and I was so looking forward to sitting on the swing and reading, relaxing, and perhaps sewing. Yes, by the weekend I'll probably be more than antsy, but its working for now. 



Today, I've  done exactly that. Exercised at home, played in the yard with dogs, worked on some rearranging of a room, rescheduled my fall trip because I may not be going alone and pulled  frozen fish for dinner.

Yesterday, not so much. With grace and coordination beyond all imagination, I got goopy gunk (aka stitch witchery) all over my good iron. Now, I need my iron folks. I need it clean and I need it smooth. Perfectly smooth.  I never iron clothing, and my husband's shirts were sent to the laundry since memory, no matter the cost. But once I became a quilter? My iron and I have an  almost symbiotic relationship.  



Which is why I spent an hour and a half in the middle of my relaxing day on the search for a not-cheap tube of quality iron cleaner, which I eventually found. The good (or perhaps not good  considering the month) news was that said store was right next to my favorite consignment store.  



So in addition to the goo remover, I ended up with this top and the maxi skirt peeking out underneath. For five dollars each.  Which made me feel much better. As did the steaks and corn my son  cooked on the gas grill. One of the many advantages of multi generational living is having the younger generation cook. And cook he does, very well.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara,
    I really enjoy reading your blog. It's because of you that I finally joined Silver Sneakers last Fall and have continued attending the exercise classes twice a week. Luckily for me, the YMCA is just 5 minutes away from home and my insurance covers the cost. I like the colors of the new outfit you found at the consignment shop and you can't beat the price! The grilled steak and corn sound great to me too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo of your patio. I wish I could build something like that via a magic wand.

    I love your thrift store find but I don't understand how they fit into a no-unnecessary spending month. Ten dollars here and five dollars there adds up in a month's time. Did I miss the rules of your frugal month, like maybe your goal is to only use cash, not credit? I never use a credit card unless I'm buying online. It really does help rein in spending if you have to have the cash in hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brick fireplace was here, thankfully. Ww just decided it made a better plant stand.

      Understand the spending question, my final was mostly no spend. To date I've purchased two McDonald breakfast at o dark thirty from my grocery fund, and gotten good cleaner upper, lol
      I consider those essentials. Added to that are 32 dollars in summer related clothes and a new day planner not in the plan. Fortunately half of that counts as mothers day gifts and I'm comfortable with the rest cause no summer clothes from last year fit. I expect no spending but food and personal.products the rest of the month. Assuming of course said iron can be saved. Snd seeing solo on opening day which will be with an earned gift card.

      Delete
    2. Oops, should have added I never pay cash. I always seem to spend more not less that way. My brain must be different. I think having to think before I pull the card out, especially for small stuff is what does it for me.

      Delete
    3. We all have different lists of what we consider necessities. For me its usual baskets that I can't pass up at thrift stores and blended drinks at Starbucks. Good luck with your iron! If the product you bought doesn't work you might see if the product stuck to it has a cure on their website.

      Delete
  3. Love the patio. The perfect place to while away an hour or two (perhaps three).

    Great deal on the skirt and top.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!