Friday, March 23, 2018

Five Friday Things

U is still on the fritz everyone. I think I've edited well, but if not.......

Boy is my recovery slow and slower, folks! I have been spending a lot of down time (thankfully with reading material and basketball). Today I went out for a routine prescription refill and tried to walk a teeny bit in the store. If I'm lucky I have two thousand steps on the day. As a matter of fact, today is the first day I have forced myself to stay "upright". Yesterday after lunch I took a book and went back to bed. 

My antibiotics are not done, I feel much better, but still, I cough. To the point of having both my back and my chest hurt sometimes. Meanwhile, in other news of the week.

1.  The basketball bracket is dead. So very, very dead. I still have Villanova winning it all, but good grief. It's a good thing I'm not a betting person, to say the least.

2. As part of my "create more" (and possibly consume less), I finished my card project. This is the first thing I have actually sketched myself and colored in, so artist of the week, I am not. I sketched a and drew and sketched and painted and drew again some succulents. I finally ended up with this version. and while it needs so very much improvement, it will make a nice card or letter for my daughter who grows them everywhere. A couple buttons for decoration and some writing, and I may even be onto the next project.






 I also joined in a "create for good" monthly challenge, with this month the project being doll quilts for homeless and kids in shelters. More pictures of those later. And since I had a bunch of strip blocks already made up, I turned them into large quited blocks and will make a throw and give it to the case manager at my volunteer shelter (she'll give one to each gal who finally moves into her own place.)





3. With my extensive down and recovery time, I neither made it out to lunch this week, nor did I do get to do my weekly outing time. I had hoped to get to the Museum of Outdoor Arts, as well as check out this restaurant. Perhaps if I feel up to it this weekend. Next week in addition Easter brunch, I have a lunch and learn how to make jewelry event, and am pushing myself to be well enough for both. 




4. My one true outing this week was to take my 27 year old to Men's Wearhouse. He's in the unique situation of needing a real suit (not a sports coat and pants) for this formal evening wedding, and nothing he has fits him. Since neither of us trusted my measuring ability, we took a gander and talked to a guy and let him confirm the measuring. Since their suits were all seven hundred dollars and this suit is probably a one off (son is losing more weight although already a slim fit, son is in IT and doesn't need formal wear), I'm taking those measurements online to Penny's, Sears and even amazon to come up with a more realistic price.

5.  My book group (or one of them) is also next Wednesday. We are reading The German Girl, and I hope to start it this evening. I generally wait until the weekend before so that the book is fresh in my mind, as I am not a note taker. I expect this one is not "uplifting" but that's okay. I joined my book groups to be challenged outside of my thriller/mystery reading box. 




And now I'm off to a weekend of chilling, before I (hopefully) get back to something like normal activity next week. A little basketball, a little sewing and crafting, two books to read, some writing, attempting a real walk and simply enjoying the yard are on my list this week.

14 comments:

  1. What is your steps goal every day? I just found an old fit-bitty kind of thing my bro. in law gave me a while ago (was free from a company promo he was part of)-- I had to work hard to get to 9500 steps the first day.Second day,was my Art/Craft group day and wow-sitting on one's butt for 4 hours does not add up!!!!Was hard to get to 6000 . Hope you feel better soon-- it took me a full month to get all my energy back in January! nasty bug!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goal is five thousand steps with at least half of them, constant (while exercising or walking in other words), the other half can be gotten however. If yo are doing close to ten thosand, you are doing well in my opinion.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed The German Girl. Your card and your doll quilts are a great way to create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm honestly not sure Im not going to find it depressing, but I will follow through!

      Delete
  3. Doll quilts are a thoughtful project for homeless kids. It would be nice if they came with teddy bears.

    Love your cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice, bt my doll and stuffed animal skils are zip!

      Delete
  4. I think it would be interesting to count steps. I have no idea how many I take in a day. You have lots of fun things lined up for when you are all better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I count them for health purposes!

      Delete
    2. I started to see just how lazy I'd been lately.Too much couch sitting with good book in hand.I knew I needed to move more.On the day I went to an art class,was tired, and sat around a lot I barely made it to 6000. I see that to remain active I have to be AWARE that I want to be and have to make myself move more! I park far away at grocery, I am now on the treadmill and walking almost daily again outside. I'll be doing some Richard Simmons video again next week. You do have to work at it to keep it up there (# of steps..)

      Delete
  5. You still manage to stay busy even when you are not feeling well. I try to get 10,000 steps a day, but typically I average between 6,ooo to 8,000 a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, good for you. Admittedly I have leg issues. I will try and get into the pool again here soon, although my phone doesnt measure that one!

      Delete
  6. I have recovered from an URI. I can now taste the garlic I have been eating! It was still a full week with a community association meeting (which morphs into items on this w/e's to-do list), hair stylist visit (really, it's >2hrs of downtime), monthly fun-time with a klatch, 4-hr return trip to fetch a returning snow bird, spring snow storm so a day of baking. Today I will bake the Easter sugar cookies to send to the granddaughters. And I will remember my dear friend who passed away this week. The bright sunshine is uplifting this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you start to feel better soon. You are probably missing your various outings.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm on the tale end of a bug too, took everything out of me, age has its downsides. I was good for 10,000+ steps a few years back but lately with a gizmo on my mobile on a good day I'm managing only 2,000. PVD in my legs and I'm not good with the pain.

    Love those quilts. I'm busy with the knitting and writing and framing some of my pics.

    Good to find your blog!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!