Monday, February 5, 2018

Things I'm Looking Forward to in 2018

Well, it's over. My sister-in-law called me around one in the morning on Saturday to let me know that my father-in-law had passed away in his sleep. So painful for all, but at 90 one of the best results we could expect. His wishes were no funeral but a memorial service after his cremation (which takes a couple weeks or so), so there will be no family get together until then. I'm feeling a bit for my niece, whose bridal shower is the 17th of this month. Perhaps we will have the service after that to avoid a pall over her pre-wedding events.

Meanwhile, in other events........The Eagles, people!! Thy won the Superbowl, making me one of the happiest girls around. Sorry New England fans. In truth, it was difficult for me-I mean, I'm sure you may have seen the maps showing the only folks cheering for New England were those in Dallas, DC and perhaps New York. But even though they may have the worst fans in football, even though as a Redskins fan you have to hate the birds, I could not root for the Patriots. Not as they say, a snowball's chance. And since both of the assistant coaches are going elsewhere this year, maybe we won't have to deal with the Pats so much next year.

Oh, and I loved, loved, loved, the coke gay/lesbian/trans ad. Absolutely loved it. On the other hand, who on earth thought it was a good idea for MLK to shill for a truck company. Even just with his voice. Tone deaf, folks, tone deaf.

I'm not on the This is Us wagon, as any of you are.  Instead, a  friend has recommended the show Altered Carbon on Netflix and I'm jumping into that. Because anything that has the guy from The Killing and James Purefoy cannot be bad, ya know?  And I'm finding the show Rita hilarious, subtitles and all. Both are perfect for the knitting hour!

Meanwhile, here we are in February. I've tried, really tried to come up with some goals for the year or a word for the year, or something.  So far, no luck. I think I've realized that's not my style, especially after many failed attempts at joining up with others for seasonal and monthly goals. I know, I know, many of you are the type that are convinced that life doesn't progress without a serious written plan and goal schedule. Not true for me. My personal experience, for me is that a life plan is simply a guideline and if you know in your head and heart where you want to be, that's where you will go.

Which of course leads me to "What I'm Looking Forward To In 2018". Neither a plan nor a road map as such, just a short list as to how I plan to spend and enjoy life in the coming year-my way:

1.  I'm looking forward to creating more and using less-or as a blogger friend would say, becoming more of a producer and less of a consumer.  Not because I'm super crunchy or a huge DIY person, but rather because I'd like to rethink how and why I use, and buy stuff. And how little I can buy and be happy.

2. I want to embrace the local-in terms of life in general, socialization, travel and even spending in some cases. I have a running list of everything going on in the greater Denver and Colorado area, as well as events in Wyoming and other states that are close. I'll still take my major trips, but spend less time doing them and more time looking close to home. Starting with restaurant week at the end of this  month. And local love includes embracing my home-as it is-and family even more than I do.

3. I am looking forward to celebrating the Sabbath. Not necessarily from a religious sense, but as a full day to be as technology free as possible (with kids who live elsewhere and also have Sunday off), quiet, and with family (and sports on occasion!).

4. I'm planning to fully enjoy the slow. Be it slow travel by train or car, my slow lifestyle at home, or life in general. For sure, slow doesn't mean stagnant, at least in my world view, just a step back or so in the speed of life.

5.  I'm wanting to act and advocate instead of talk-especially when it comes to refugees and immigrants (both documented and not) and senior poverty. I had thought I was being called in the direction of the 2018 election, but now realize this is where I am headed. Much of this advocacy is local and close to my home and/or my church, fitting with the other things I'm looking forward to.

6. I'm going to embrace the me in full in 2018. As I wrote previously, I am who I am what I am. Do I want to keep being aware and learning and being more fit? You bet. But at this point in my life I am where I am. and yes, I'm still thinking about going gray and streaking my hair,  and I truly believe nice yoga pants are acceptable wear for most anything during the day.

7. Added after my original post:  I am going to embrace and accept the enough: Enough money, enough stuff, just plain enough. As opposed to more.

8.  And last, I'm going to remind myself, regularly and often, that I come from a place of privilege. And that we all do, and many of us forget or deny. I'm privileged because I CAN practice frugality, make choices about how I want to spend my life and so much more. In fact, this is the one thing I have written at the top of my calender-each and every month.

And there you have it. Mere thoughts about how I hope to spend my time and embrace the next year. Goals they are not, guidelines for sure!

10 comments:

  1. I am enjoying Rita too, she is a pistol, not a shy gal. I am glad there is a new 3rd season of The Detectorists (funny, 2 guys in England with metal detectors), and Grace and Frankie. Good to hear your goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay Terra, never heard of that one, I'll have to check it out!

      Delete
  2. I am also embracing the slow as much as I can and am realising how much better I feel for it. Your last paragraph resonates with me - sometimes I feel a fraud because I am trying to practise frugality and keep life simple but there are so many people who don't have any such choice and my simple, frugal life is actually full of riches, particularly compared to theirs. I am a lucky woman and I try to remember that every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have an ambitious and admirable list of what you call 'things to look forward to' and I would call 'goals'. Your term is more positive because it assumes you'll actually accomplish all you set out to do. More power to you!

    I'm sorry about your father-in-law and your niece's unfortunate timing for a bridal shower. A case could be made that a memorial service before rather after could keep her shower from turning into a place where the passing and condolences will come into play. I would hate to be the person making the decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, we need to wait for his ashes, so it could be a couple weeks at least. I know there are two thoughts on this family wise because we were already wondering how to deal with the fact that there was no way he could travel by car the seven hours to the wedding.

      Delete
  4. I relate immensely to this post.Our first couple years of retirement were not at all what I had envisioned or planned.We made some overly- emotional decisions, so we moved to the mountains, then ,moved back to our burbs.(Luckily the spouse made us keep house and rent it for a year, just in case..well"JUST IN CASE" happened!!! we were able to move back into my beloved home.. )-- last couple of years have been just a whole lotta "too much!" So--THIS year, I feel finally, kinda settled (who ever knows how long THAT feeling lasts????) but I am consciously having a SLOWER year. A LOCAL year. A less-travel year. More car trips, more exploring Arizona and the good ole USA. Less planes.More backyard and pool!!My Unitarian Universalist church offers a lot of great volunteer activities that I totally enjoy and am privileged to be a part of. I have great neighbors I play cards with twice a month! I craft at home. I love to cook. I love swimming in my own back yard, and enjoying coffee and wine dates with friend s in our HOMES... am planning on a deep and wonderful 2018 with less busy-ness and more sinking in.. thanks for this post.Same for political activism: My VUU church has a very active social justice component and I will be busy in the mid term elections, just,SIMPLY,GETTING PEOPLE OUT TO VOTE. Life is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is good indeed and I so agree that getting people out to vote is the most important thing.

      Delete
  5. P.S. So sorry for your loss. I know I was a huge part of my "in law" family, having met Ken when we were teens..losing my mom and dad in law was as tough as losing my own Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara, kindest regards at the death of your father-in-law. 90 yrs - a long life. I'm impressed with your ability to look forward to events & activities. I think that's a perspective age allows us - to trust that life will go on, we have choices (for the most part) about how we live our lives, to focus on the positive vs negative.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!