Monday, February 19, 2018

Let the Search Begin...............

...................For a dress, that is. A pink, dressy, semi formal, wear to an evening wedding type dress! One that does not cost a fortune, because I may never again wear it.


You see, my niece is getting married in April. She's chosen the fabric below as the basis for the colors in her wedding. I'm assuming this is a bow die that the men will wear, but the fabric will appear elsewhere as well. The wedding party will be in blue, and she has asked the female family members to wear pink (or maybe, depending on your color skills and perception, the deeper color is coral?).




I don't object to pink, I actually love pink. In fact, as I think maybe I shared before, I kind of embraced pink and grey and white with some teal and cranberry for this winter. It's just that I don't own a pink dress, and especially not a dressy/formal pink or coral dress. I'm generally a brighter clothing type of gal. And so far, while I know it's early, I haven't found something I love. And I of course, I tend to be one of those people who only buys stuff when she really, really loves it. So far, everything is too short (I have scarred knees) or maxi, or to much of a pale blush. On the other hand, it's early, spring clothes are coming out daily and I have faith that I will find a dressy pink dress for an evening wedding-and one that can be worn with flats at that. Because I don't do heels. Even for family. 

Unsurprisingly, a quick google search brings up nothing I love, I want the brighter colors but the longer length. Ah well.

And since I don't do stockings either, it may just be time to pull out the self tanning stuff for the legs. Because I don't do pantyhose. Even for family. Let's not get started on the topic of a suit or a tux for a guy who is six six and has perfectly good pants and sports coats but no suits, shall we?  I hear the word rental in my future. 

Non -traditional?


Traditional?

Meanwhile, as I sit watching the beautiful 70 degree weather outside (which will change to snowy, freezing 30 degrees tomorrow), I've decided I want a flamingo (see how I'm still working that pink thing?) For my yard. Or perhaps a couple. The question of course, is whether they go in the front yard for all to see, or in the back, tiered yard that is managed by she who whispers to plants. We actually have a bevy of small cement trolls in the front yard, none of whom have ever been ripped off. But a flamingo?  That may be too much temptation. I'll think on it for awhile.

Thought for the day: Folks in the frugal community as well as others, use the phrase "low hanging fruit" a great deal. In this context, the implication of something that is easy, simple, and obvious and that generally yields immediate results. And is often something obvious that we simply may have overlooked. In my view, banning assault weapons falls under the "low hanging fruit definition". It still allows everyone to defend themselves, or to hunt, or to target shoot. But it (along with greater enforcement of laws already on the books) is, again in my view, a no brainer when it comes to the safety of our children, in school and public places. Just a thought!

17 comments:

  1. Couldn’t agree with you more about never voting for a NRA purchased candidate again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. I am so proud of the kids who are speaking up for themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you as well. Hopefully, I didn't inadvertently do so in the past. I will be extremely vigilant from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly,I think it's almost impossible to know, sometimes.I wonder if THEY even know all the folks they get money from on some occasions.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes there are places that rent dresses. I know nothing about them, but I've heard they exist. :-)

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. shiela, I'll add that to my processes. I actually would not hate a really nice dress, I just dont know about my opportunities to wear it in retirement.

      Delete
  5. I am totally with you on voting choices. Your flamingos yearning triggered a memory of seeing a flamingos creche scene at the beach one very cold North Carolina December eve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds very cool. I'll definitely be on a flamingo hunt when the weather improves

      Delete
  6. I am thinking about a yard flamingo too. I love the non-traditional one above, but they're great.

    Any chance you could get away with wearing a pale gray dress with a pretty scarf or shawl in a pink or a pink print? I'd call that color in the bow tie 'coral' but no matter what you call it I think the bride's idea is not going to produce the desired results because that pink/coral is hard to match and it often clashes with other shades of pinks. I'm glad it's you instead of me shopping for pink. I don't wear that color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I THINK she's prepared for us all just to be in pink.My favorites color wise are the top left and the top right center (with the shawl). She would never be demanding, but if I can find something dresy enugh that I can wear for another time, I'll try to go with the flow. I can wear warm colors but not cool ones.

      Delete
  7. Can you wear white or pale grey pants and a pink tunic top and then a fancy scarf ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to think of myself as a dress to dress up gal, but yes, I could do that with really nice jewelry I expect.

      Delete
  8. Love the top right. I think it would look great on you. Great color. You are probably known for your flair. I've had great luck with Nordstoms. Here is one- https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/product/2290404/london-times-patterned-3-4-sleeve-shift-dress-plus-size?color=PINK It is short- but your knees are not an issue once you hit a certain age ;).
    Low fruit? True! magazines that carry more then six bullets, bump stocks, rapid reload gear, certain types of assault weapons is where California started. I am reading more and more about RAD f(mental illness). So much work to be done. :(. It just stinks that congresspeople tend to only vote their party line. I think there are some reasonable heads- but their parties push the edge so much they cannot get anything done. I think the states need to step up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My knees have serious scarring, it's not just the chubbiness, lol. I'm looking for less than 100 for drss and shoes, I actually love the style of the to right, but its more pale. I know I'll end up with something. Its actually amazing the clothing you can find on Amazon, that evil empire, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the bow tie. Have you considered rent the runway for your dress? And agree on assault weapons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your ongoing posts about our runaway guns. I've read the transcript of Emma Gonzalez's speech in the aftermath of Florida several times, and watching her speak it via video had me in tears over her courage. My favorite line from her talk is this: "When adults tell me I have the right to own a gun, all I can hear is my right to own a gun outweighs your student's right to live. All I hear is mine, mine, mine, mine."

    Will it be the children that ultimately lead us out of this darkness after we adults have failed so badly? My heart breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you tried eshakti.com for a dress? I ordered custom jeans from them a couple days ago and see you can custom order dresses, and get the sleeves, length, etc. that you want. Not sure about color choices and the prices are frugal.
    I support the NRA, there, I've said it. Best choice is to keep guns out of the hands of the wrong people and let good people keep their guns.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!