Thursday, December 14, 2017

Some Christmas Stuff Here, Nursemaid Stuff There.........

As write this, I am sitting on the sofa of my TV room playing nursemaid to a crippled offspring while trying to blog, work online and possibly make cookies.  The good news is that they repaired the labrum on his shoulder and removed a large bone spur on the clavicle. The bad news is that right now the pain is severe, and he has to wear a sling for three days-and has a large programming project due on Saturday. So tomorrow and Saturday Ill be helping him type while not moving his wrist.  Oh, and for those medical types who read my blog, apparently he has only one strip of sinew (or whatever) holding that bicep in place-guess he was born that way.



After thoroughly enjoying my at home time (leaving the house for one commitment the past couple weeks), a bit of a Christmas rush is now upon me-in spite of my ever downsizing Christmas spirit. I don't know about you, but there is always a three or four day ( sometimes more ) period of Christmas Chaos in this house-simply because sometimes it seems like everything is "due" at once. This is that week for me, exacerbated by surgery, pre-surgery plans and getting up a five, five mind you, this morning.  

You know you are in a dog family when the pups get their own ornaments-on a fairly regular basis.

On Monday, I delivered five kinds of cookies to the senior women's homeless shelter where I volunteer. That's right, I gave all those leisurely made cookies to the homeless shelter-witch was my plan. Tomorrow (If I have time) and then at the beginning of the week I'll make cookies for us to take south. Decorated sugar cookies, Mexicans wedding cakes and brown sugar short bread. Because that's really all we need-and except for the cutting out, the others are all not time consuming.  

One of my "test houses". Don't worry, now I've got it down!


On Saturday, I am having a gingerbread party for about ten or twelve kids and a few adults. In the morning I'll make a quick run for all the supplies (graham crackers, decor, candies and frosting and snacks) and then hot glue together graham cracker houses (and fit cookies in if I have time). More on the party later.

Fortunately, gifting is not a struggle.  My kids (both adults returning to full time school for grad and undergrad programs) mainly need Amazon cards for textbooks or had Amazon wish lists. While I am making that teeny square quilt and a shawl for relatives, there is no rush, because we travel we celebrate "Christmas" on New Year's Day with brunch, alcohol, gifts and such. Which extends the season in a lovely way. 

Thankfully, while all of the events above have hit in the same week, they are all stuff that I consciously choose to do and have fun doing (except of course, watching my son go through surgery and getting up close pictures of the before and after in his shoulder socket!)  

Love the bag, already have a plan for the yarn
I mean, cookies and gingerbread and such. What's not to love. And to top it off, yesterday was the culmination of the knitting year, our annual Christmas party. We have a tradition of playing "Chinese Fire Drill", "Dirty Santa", call it what you will. In other words, each person chooses a number and gets a chance to open a gift or steal an open gift. This year, I was a stealer. And because I got the last turn, I got to keep my "steal", which was this adorable reversible bag with sheep and yarn. I'll always choose yarn.  Another tradition (because we are all creative types) is a small purchased gift for each of the thirteen players. This year, I made lavender and rosemary scrubbing salt the night before, and the gifts included bags of candy, Christmas earrings and much more. And yes, fun and food were had by all.  And last but not least, Santa decided to stop by-in his workshop outfit of course!  

A hand made paper folded gift tag-way beyond my skill set. I may actually use it as an ornament!


Mass producing those body products

Santa and Mrs Santa (one of my knitting partners)!

7 comments:

  1. So sorry your son is suffering. I pray he will have relief soon. Thank goodness you are there to help him with his paper and nurse him through this difficult situation. I pray a happy Christmas for you and all your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prayed that your son will heal quickly, poor guy. He is blessed to have such a caring mom though. You and your friends are having a fun lead up to Christmas, that stealing game sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a full life you have created in your new 'home' state over these last few years, Barbara. So very happy for you.

    Sending quick-recovery lessons to your son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishes! Sending quick-recovery wishes! (No clue how 'wishes' auto-corrected to 'lessons' above!)

      Delete
  4. Gosh Barbara I think you need more to do. Do you sleep? Having had a torn labrum and know how painful that was I can only imagine what your poor son is going through. i hope he is up and around soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending speedy recovery thoughts to your son.

    Love the yarn and bag.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, no matter how much we try to downsize and simplify, there always seem to be a few days of Christmas Chaos. But it's all worth it ... merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!