Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Trying To Come Up With My Own Verions of Project 333 (in all temperature Colorado)

I am not a fashion plate. I'll never be one. While I love to visit Jodi's blog, that is not my style. Not because I don't love her clothes and the clothes she models-Oh do I. But because I am more of a "make sure almost everything matches and just dive into my closet" kind of person.  In other words, I want to look good. I just don't want to have to take a great deal of time to do so-or spend buckets of money on much else but shoes. 



Since the natural  light has left the building, the cardi on the right and the one on the top are my two most recent purchases.  Real life photos perhaps tomorrow! These are both from one of my two favorite clothing store, Christopher and Banks.

Quite a few of my fellow women blogger are fans and followers of Project 333.  As I understand it (and friends are welcome to correct my mistakes here), the idea is that you choose 33 pieces of clothing to wear for each season. These 33 items include clothing, accessories, shoes and outerwear. On the other hand, they do not include undies, sleepwear, in home lounge wear (in other words, all those sweats I have) and workout clothing. Seems pretty easy, no?

While I have been wanting to do something similar for awhile, I knew I would have to make some adjustments, due to a couple primary factors (I know, justification): 

  • I live in Colorado. In the last 48 hours I have worn just a tank top and shorts, and a heavy sweater and scarf-never mind the accompanying footwear and so on. This leads me to believe that I need to do this twice a year, rather than four times a year, and choose a different amount of items.
  • I am an accessories girl. The number of the dangle earrings alone on my little earring rack is ten or so(without the studs)), at least one for every color I wear. The joke around here is that I could be kneeling in a torn nightgown scrubbing my floor with cracked fingernails and I would still have painted toes, earrings and perfume!
  • I have two color schemes rather than a single one, and I'm not sure I want to get rid of one or that I can combine them both. The first is the color scheme that you all see me wear here on the rare photos I share of myself (soft green, turquoise, blue, yellow and lavender). The second is the rust, olive, teal and gold kind of color scheme. I'm sure it sounds like one should be fall and winter and one spring and fall, but both include tank tops and heavy sweaters. and since I only wear black pants and the occasional jean it works for me. I have a sweater jacket that is blue (this year, I believe the phrase is coatigan), and so on.
So what to do? I do want to get my clothing a little more organized to say the least. And I do want to eliminate things I don't wear from my closet (which is not as bad as it used to be, due to constant three pounds or so month losses-mainly in my pants area). Oh, and except for the absolute coldest and most painful days (when sweats are my friend), I dress for the day no matter what it holds. Rarely do I have outside clothing and at at home clothing. Although I have been known to stay in jammies and pjs for an hour or so, lol! As much as I tend to be a crafting and cooking slob, admit I probably should have what my mom used to call play clothes!

66 pieces seems a little to much, so I'm going to head for the middle , if you will. Dividing the increase in half will bring me somewhere around 50 pieces-which I have to admit, sounds like a lot of clothes. But except for those very few heavy sweaters and fleece and the skimpiest shorts and tank dresses, very few things get "put away" in my life. (I wear the solid summer tanks under shirts and sweaters, do they count as undies?)

As I write this, it's in the evening and photographs are probably not a good idea. My plan is to start working on my closet/outfits and perhaps start sharing some (more likely on the hangar than on me-simply because my selfie style is not the best). If nothing else, I'll have a better idea of what helps and what works.

Please feel free to share, as I begin this process. Have you tried the closet downsizing thing, even if it wasn't Project 333? Are you a planned wardrobe person or an "I buy what I like and somehow make it work" kind of fashion shopper. How do you organize your clothing-drawers?  Closets?  Both?  Feel free to share whatever downsizing/clothing organizing techniques you want-as long as it's NOT Marie Kondo!!

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have a good plan and Project 333 is not meant to be an exercising in suffering or denial so you can use any guidelines you want such as changing the number, excluding categories, etc. I understand the point to be to simplify one's wardrobe so time can be spent on more meaningful parts of life while still being happy with how one looks. Please do share your process and progress. BTW, I have about 50 items and 4 color paths at the moment at S. Cal weather is pretty variable too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juhli. Actually as we move towards cool weather I expect I'll be under the limit until I get some sweaters-only have three from last year of the heaver ones, it seems that everything dies at once. I'm praying I can hold it to two color paths, lol.

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried Project 333 so I will be watching your blog to see how you accomplish it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been retired for 4 years and cleaning clothes closets remains on the list of things to do. My wardrobe is so limited since retirement. Jeans & t-shirts suffice for the most part. It is said that we wear 20% of our clothes 80% of the time. I believe it. I tend to wear clothes until they're worn out. I have some clothes that are at least 10 yrs old. Buying classic pieces of good quality helps; I'm not much into fads. I do hang my clothes by color. One organizing tool that didn't work for me was the diamond fold sock organizer. Something that works for me is the baskets that I keep shorts and sweat shirts in on the closet shelf; it's easy to bring down and take out what I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. although I am not a Kondo fan, I did try to fold the clothes as she did, but I find becaue of color coordination I am much better off hanging all but the heavies sweaters. I'm still working on the closet thing

      Delete
  4. I follow this closet building site. It works well and it is easy. http://www.theviviennefiles.com/p/starting-from-scratch_15.html
    barb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!