Friday, September 15, 2017

Five Frugal Retirement Things

So, my injured shoulder is coming along-I suppose. Instead of a painful arm and bicep area, my shoulder is throbbing, and it sometimes feels like a hand is closing on it and re-opening.  I also occasionally have warmth and tingling.  Obviously there is much more healing to be done. I'm avoiding an Xray, because a shoulder injury like mine requires an MRI. And me inside an MRI machine?  I'd scream so loudly the entire hospital would come running.

Other hand, my son has a torn labrum (the muscle that crosses the shoulder from front to back as I understand) along with a separated bicep.  He'll need surgery and three weeks recovery time somewhere here this fall, and will probably never be able to work in food and beverage type work ever again. If it's not one thing it;s another.

As far as frugal accomplishments this week?


  1. I took my torn, spindled, smelly and just plain dead Sketcher go-walks to the Sketcher store at the mall. Where I purchased brand new Sketcher shoes. That were so comfortable I told them I was walking out with them. Frugal because they'll save my knees and legs and because I did not buy $125 SAS shoes!
  2. I loaded a few very inexpensive things on my Amazon list, as saying "no gifts" to my kids rarely works. This way they won't go over budget giving me "something for my birthday".
  3. I have the Amazon Turk thing down to a well smoothed machine and am earning anywhere from five dollars to ten dollars a day spending a little over an hour (during which time I am also running videos and doing "passive earnings" while watching an episode of Ozark each day)
  4. My rec center has a daily drop in rate (my retirement health insurance does not cover SS so I pay whether I go to SS or the pool). Normal rates for seniors are $4.25. Buying 30 punches lowers the drop in cost to $3.00. And twice a year, they sell those punches for half price-meaning my entry will be a buck fifty each time!
  5. In a moment of Karma, just as I was deciding not to make any more of a couple products selling or gifting version of items that I'll show another time, I was contacted by three groups wanting to buy some of my fall personal product sets and American Girl doll clothes and so on. The purchase price for the few I sold will easily cover the cost of the gifts and giveaways already made. A win/win for all involved.
I've also been working out at home, sewing and knitting at home, going to my knitting and book and lunch group-all of which cost no money this week-except for my happy hour time after knitting, when I had a spicy salmon roll or two (the lunch was paid for with a gift card)

What frugal thing have you done this week, if any??

16 comments:

  1. This week has gone by so fast that I hardly remember what I did. I even lost a day somewhere and was surprised it was Friday today! For real, lol.

    Anyway I guess I saved money this week by eating in all week. I often eat out a few times a week though not every week and I usually find the least expensive places. I like to stop for example at the coffee shop and read my latest book and relax that way.

    The other way I saved money is careful shopping of the flyers and buying only limited items. I also stayed out of the pharmacy which is where I usually spend a lot. This week I made sure to buy sparingly. I got my medications without copay but that is a no brainer because it isn't anything I do, it is just how the system (I'm on) works. I also called the dental insurer to make sure some periodontal exam I am having to pay up front in a few weeks time will be covered. It will! Yeah! I am happy about that.

    I returned a lot of clothing and a few jewellery items I purchased on line. The clothes didn't fit right and the jewellery didn't look as nice up close. I can do without. I'll probably be spending part of those funds again soon on other items so it wasn't a full savings but every bit helps.

    For entertainment, I watched some recorded movies and did some reading of library books and free Kindle books. I also did some moderate exercise by going for short walks while doing errands.

    I guess I did a bit more than I thought I did. I hope your injury will respond to treatment soon. I've found with a leg injury my knee responded well to the ultrasound. Acupuncture can also be helpful but not always. It's worth a try if you can swing the payments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have got to get back to the cooking from scratch thing. I'll stick with PT for now, but my insurance does cover acupuncture, bless them.

      Delete
  2. I forgot to comment about your seniors centre discounts which are awesome. I sure wish we had the discounts even twice a year. It would mean the difference for many between getting exercise at the local community centres and pools or not getting the exercise. I notice it isn't seniors who are at these places much but they do like to participate in the free exercise programs that many senior's centres now have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my senior center has lots of programs includng trips an lunch, and water aerobics.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about your son's injury and it sounds painful. Hope both of you find you are healing rather quickly. My experiences with MRIs was not nearly as stressful as expected. They do give you earplugs and it is a rather interesting set and variation of sounds. If you are claustrophobic they could probably give you a sedative as I'm sure many people have the same problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it will require a setative possibly. Son sai he felt like he was in a coffin (and it doesnt help that is six foot six so has to go "all in". Had a brain Mri once, but they had to put me in an open machine.

      Delete
  4. There is no way I will go into that MRI tube. However, there is an open MRI that I can stand. The last time I went, they said they had a new one for larger people. That equals more room. Ask for that kind of MRI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im trying to just avoid theMRI at this point. The damage is already done, ya know?

      Delete
  5. I forgot to say that the noise from the MRI is thunderous. I have fallen asleep to those monotonous bumps it makes. The last time I was given the choice of headphones used by others or a new pair of earplugs. I chose the earplugs because I did not want headphones worn by a mob and not cleanable. The woman said the new machines are much louder than the old machines. One place played music for me that was piped into the tube.

    Maybe you could ask your children to do something in the house or yard for you that hurts you to do now. Do you have chickens? Have them clean out the coop? Do you need deep cleaning somewhere, freezer thawed? That sort of thing would be cheap for them. Then, you could give them food to grill outside for you. Cake could be made by them or bought...whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not have any kids to help me. My son as I said above, has a non working arm and my daughter lives in another state. He is much worse off than I and willneed major surgery. I actually function very well-because I have downsized. No chicken, no yard respsonsiblities, no home improvement s(the advantage of renting). So Iam doing okay-except for those times when I gotta reach over my head, and instead I am ducking my head lower for hairwashing and putting on clothes. I'll get there-eventually.

      Delete
  6. Since retiring, my husband and I have tried to live much more frugally. We are definitely eating at home more. The slo-cooker has been a blessing for that. We do try to go out to lunch once or twice a month just for a change. Coupons have been very helpful at the grocery store. Our prescriptions have been costing us only about a couple dollars as we have Tricare through the military and that has been such a godsend. We have definitely downsized a lot since retiring. We go to free movies at our local library, we have taken very inexpensive day and weekend trips through a program geared for seniors thru our local university and the library has been our go to place for books, newspapers, magazines and movie cds.

    I love your blog and send you high praise for the energy you must have for such a busy retired lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It only took me a month but I finally found your new blog! Missed a fellow Denverite, go Broncos as hubby works in TX and will be happy to wear his Bronco gear.
    He is heading to his 29th surgery on Tuesday (knee replacement) and he has had a rotator cuff/bicep tear surgery as well. Definitely have your son plan on being down for the count for those 3 weeks. Prayers it all heals quickly
    I fall more than I should (I am 51), I have taken to not doing anything else while I am walking, no texting, no talking on the phone and no reading. My last 3 falls had me hitting full face plants and having black eyes, and wicked bruising.
    Frugal moves last week
    Verified he has met his deductible and OOP. Can't beat a free surgery especially one this expensive
    Called CenturyLink since we have had it a month and was already 10.00 more (I needed to sign up for auto pay) signed up, got a credit on my bill
    Didn't have the A/C on the last few days
    Turned off the sprinklers for a few days
    Tried to return 2 items but the company didn't want the items back but still gave me a full credit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im so glad you found me. I did look on your google profile but no contact. Slowly the word is getting shared about the URL, lol. Im sure my son in law is crying in his beer this evening but so happy the Broncos won! He will def be down from work but hoping he can do school if I type for him. Otherwise this has to wait until Christmas vacay.

      Delete
  8. We just got back from our vacation which was not totally a frugal one, but made a bit more by cooking all our meals, taking sandwiches and fruit on our hikes, and spending 2 nights with our son.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is this Amazon Turk thing? I will look online to find out. I wear Skechers too and they are frugal because they keep my feet healthy. I bought a book I've wanted for three dollars at the library used book store so that counts as frugal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazon M turk is a website where you do hits or human (something tasks). I generally try to earn about ten cents a minute and I dont make alot, maybe five bucks a day while watching tv.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from others, and I also love to hear all points of view.. Just leave the profanity and insults at home, OK? Thanks!!